As the nature of things progress... - Page 15
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 57891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: As the nature of things progress...

Playing around with some more textures

Tonight, I started work on the Portugese Navy bird. not done. but a good start to get things in the right places.. and the right colours.

Yes.. it's a floatplane.. but NO this is NOT the correct model! I need one with the rear 'gun' emplacement, but with no gun, and a cover over the round hole...and the fuel tank in the upper wing center.

So.. basically a PREFECT on floats... and not sure if the Portugese ones carried the gun.. I've only got a couple of colour plates to go by here..

cheers
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails portugese work.jpg   0174496.jpg  

and there we have it..Portuguese Navy added to our fleet!

All that really remains now is the aircraft number and some 'tidying up' of the textures once Nigel gets the correct model for this scheme all sorted out. Third crew position with cover (anyone know if they DID carry the gun???), no spinner, and the big fat upper wing center section fuel tank (basically a Prefect on floats)

Yes Nigel.. there is no rest!! LOL

To be completely honest, I'll probably NEVER fly it in these colours.. too many other schemes I like.. but I KNOW there will be Portuguese simmers out there that will!

And it is pretty!!!!

cheers
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails portugese2.jpg   portugese1.jpg   portugese.jpg  

And yes... they operated from land too!

The 'old' model Prefect in the new skin.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails portugese3.jpg   portugese4.jpg  

Floaty one .cfg files

Hello chaps,

I've made a couple of minor changes to the .cfg files for the float versions if anyone wants to try them

(MOI figures and moved the CG down below the datum axis)

Attachment 60079Attachment 60080

ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Hello chaps,

I've made a couple of minor changes to the .cfg files for the float versions if anyone wants to try them

ttfn

Pete
    Well.. just a few minutes in, and I like it. I had already changed the roll stability to 2.0 to try and get her to be a bit more stable, and it was working, and coupled with your new bits.. she flies like a dream.. so.. I backed off the roll stability to 1.5, and still holding a course quite nicely... once you get her sorted out and DEAD level.. sometimes NOT an easy task with my joystick!!.. but it seems a bit LESS finicky now.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushi View Post
    Tonight, I started work on the Portugese Navy bird. not done. but a good start to get things in the right places.. and the right colours.

Yes.. it's a floatplane.. but NO this is NOT the correct model! I need one with the rear 'gun' emplacement, but with no gun, and a cover over the round hole...and the fuel tank in the upper wing center.

So.. basically a PREFECT on floats... and not sure if the Portugese ones carried the gun.. I've only got a couple of colour plates to go by here..

cheers
    Dave
    Versions of the Prefect with and without the Lewis gun installation are still in the works, Gentlemen.

Most Air Forces (with notable exceptions) including the RAF ordered the standard 2 seater (covered gun position).
    Thankfully, the rear pilot position was covered with a purpose-built cover when used for gunnery practice. Just as well, as this saves our bacon regarding maximum poly limit.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nogun.jpg   gun.jpg  
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries
    Both versions will also come with spinner options, as well as floats.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spin2.jpg   spin1.jpg  

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries
    Hello chaps,

ttfn

Pete
    Thanks Pete.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Versions of the Prefect with and without the Lewis gun installation are still in the works, Gentlemen.

Most Air Forces (with notable exceptions) including the RAF ordered the standard 2 seater (covered gun position).
    Thankfully, the rear pilot position was covered with a purpose-built cover when used for gunnery practice. Just as well, as this saves our bacon regarding maximum poly limit.

Oh I knew they were coming nigel! LOL.... just getting a bit of a head start.. and doing 'easy' schemes with no paintkit.. ( a technique I have 'mostly' figured out!! )

Also.. in that colour plate of the Portuguese aircraft... did you notice the different float profile??? I'm not sure if they used more than one float design. I will have to source some actual photographs and make sure.. after all.. this IS an artists conception! :-)

cheers
    Dave

Also.. in that colour plate of the Portuguese aircraft... did you notice the different float profile??? I'm not sure if they used more than one float design. I will have to source some actual photographs and make sure.. after all.. this IS an artists conception! :-)

cheers
    Dave
    Float profile here... https://www.peoplescollection.wales/items/526932

hey Nigel, how about a low poly float version on the beaching gear as a scenery object...?

ttfn

Pete

Blog Entries

cheers
    Dave
    Slab-sided floats were indeed used by the Portugese Air Force, Dave. However, inspite of the cost in extra polys, I opted to model those curvacious beauties operated by the RAF and RNAS. :-)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 239-1.jpg  

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Blog Entries
    Float profile here... https://www.peoplescollection.wales/items/526932

hey Nigel, how about a low poly float version on the beaching gear as a scenery object...?

ttfn

Pete
    So far we have several scenery object models (see below) - lowish in polys, circa 2 MB a piece, Pete - I see no reason why we shouldn't add the float version too.

What about a trestled version for hangar maintenance?...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2018-may-3-001.jpg   -2018-may-3-002.jpg   -2018-may-3-003.jpg  

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Slab-sided floats were indeed used by the Portugese Air Force, Dave. However, inspite of the cost in extra polys, I opted to model those curvacious beauties operated by the RAF and RNAS. :-)

And lovely curvaceous beauties they are Nigel.. love 'em!

Nigel, Ditto what Bushi posted. love them.

Blog Entries
    And lovely curvaceous beauties they are Nigel.. love 'em!
    Thanks Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Taco View Post
    Nigel, Ditto what Bushi posted. love them.
    Thanks Taco - please check your PMs

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Quote Originally Posted by darrenvox View Post
    How are things with this...btw nice repaints
    Ticking along nicely, Nigel is working like a one armed paper hanger on the models... and if you notice a scenery of Old Sarum to go with them, several people are splashing paint about, and one or two of us are making sure it straightens up and flies right.

Ttfn

Pete

Pete UK2000 vol1 for FSX, P3D etc has old Sarum.

Here http://www.uk2000scenery.com/vfrairf...les/Page2.html

It is also compatible with Orbx scenery.

Cheers chris

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    Pete UK2000 vol1 for FSX, P3D etc has old Sarum.

Here http://www.uk2000scenery.com/vfrairf...les/Page2.html

It is also compatible with Orbx scenery.

Cheers chris
    It does, but is in its' modern guise. I think Nigel is creating a more antique look, backdating it.

Ttfn

Pete

AVROes

Hallo Nigel and friends,

just did some flights with the new Avro aicrafts.
    For the moment I am very occupied with the PBY panels.
    What begun as just a little work developed to a lot more.
    Now to the Avro.
    There is some things I do not understand:
    1. in the panel.cfg is mentioned a 2d panel with an dedicated bmp - but this one is just black
    why to add the 2d panel as it does not realy serve
    2. when flying with the VC (which is realy superb) my frame rate drops to have just a flying as in a diashow
    3. still flying with the VC i noticed that with the landplanes it is not as "dramatic" as with the floatplane
    4. the plane, both and land plane seem very "trim intensive" even when decreasing the power as indicated I
    must trim down.
    So much for first flights
    Yours
    Papi

Hey Papi --

Which version/model are you seeing a "black screen" where the 2D panel should be....? I have extensively tested each version and have not seen what you describe on any of them.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

AVRO _621-646sries_Beta18

Hallo Blackbird,

It is the Avroes from 05.05.2018
    in the panel are a bmp callad DH80 or something like that but is black / transparent
    and when displaying the plane in the sime on 2d panel mode there just the gauges without any background.
    As I have a serious frame rate drop on the sim when flying with the VC I made 2d panel from VC screenshots.
    Yours
    Papi

Been a bit 'time poor' Nigel but I've managed a few test flights.
    Just so you know at the moment P3D3 flights are fine (see below), P3D4 not so!
    On my system FPS impact is nothing, internal or external views.

Coming and going.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members +
    This is all I could find regarding the Avro Tutor in South African Air Force service: (info from the SAAF Museum, Ysterplaat, Cape Town)
    51 built, 50 written off charge, 1 to technical training. There was 39 at the beginning of 1939.
    Serial batches: 701-751

It started off with a 215-240hp Armstrong Siddeley Lynx IV C engine, & when spares ran out, a number were fitted with uncowled Wright Whirlwind engines.
    The Tutor was choses to succeed the Avro 504N in the RAF's training schools in 1932, & a total of 394 were built for the RAF.

As a result of a tour of South Africa by Alan Cobham's flying circus & trials by the SAAF, with one of his Tutors, G-AARZ, the Tutor was selected to replace the Avian IV M for SAAF training.

Following the delivery of two Avro built Tutors, a production batch of Tutors was built under license at the Aircraft and Artillery Depot at Voortrekkerhoogte (Roberts Heights) in Pretoria.

The total of 51 is thought to possibly exclude a few more built from spares at the end of the program, & which carried serial numbers of aircraft already written off.

They were used pre war by the Central Flying School (CFS), (established at Zwartkop Air Station in1932) & continued in service mainly with 62 Air School (62 AS) in WWII, with a few issued to other units.

Only one Tutor eventually survived in South Africa & this aircraft, 721, was preserved by the SA War Museum.
    It was unfortunately scrapped in the mid 1950's, & the only Tutor is preserved at the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden in the UK.

I could not find any colour pictures, but the museum curator advised that they came in silver & yellow.
    The only information I could find regarding roundels is from decals..

Members +
    So, hopefully, may we see a Tutor in SAAF colours?

Regards,
    Robin

Members who have read this thread: 0