As the nature of things progress... - Page 13
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: As the nature of things progress...

Members +
    Thanks & I'm having GREAT fun. I was just thinking about the Prefect PWS-18 earlier today.
    Here in South Africa, we had about 50 Tudors. I'm trying to find more info, but I think they, or most of them were assembled here... Now for an South African Air Force paint?

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    I'll have a try later, at work presently.
    Did you try with slats locked in Keith?

Ttfn

Pete
    I think so, std practice for Tiger, so I think I did likewise. Will check again.
    Funny just been playing with my version of the 621 air file that I did back in December where I can spin, but copy & pasting the usual suspects into the latest version of todays downloaded air file, it still won't spin.....so stumped at mo for the cause.

Spokes 2112 - very nice work, don't understand xml though at that level!!!
    Keith

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Thanks & I'm having GREAT fun. I was just thinking about the Prefect PWS-18 earlier today.
    Here in South Africa, we had about 50 Tudors. I'm trying to find more info, but I think they, or most of them were assembled here... Now for an South African Air Force paint?
    Awesome to hear it, Robin

SAAF liveries would be most interesting and valuable additions to a growing fleet. Please keep us updated should you come across anything in the way of photos. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    Keith
    It's okay for you, Keith - a few of us don't understand xml at ANY level. :-/
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Members +
    Apparently our local Air Force Museum has pictures. I'm not too sure as to when I'll be able to get there, but I will try get as much info & pictures as I can.

Woo-Hoooooo!!!

Can't wait to try the floatplanes!

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Woo-Hoooooo!!!

LOL. Go for it, Mick!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magoo is onto the spinning characteristics - we should have this issue ironed out shortly. :-)
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Woo-Hoooooo!!!

I was in such a hurry to go flying in it.. I left the tailskid on! Nigel... ?? LOL

but.. back to my landplane.. to finish off my Sahara circumnavigation.

oh.. and the new 'pit.. with the start sequence.. oh yeah....very nice!!! AND MY FUEL GAUGE IS WORKING!!! no more sweaty palms and knotted stomach after two hours flying... with no airport in sight!!

cheers
    Dave

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    LOL. Go for it, Mick!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magoo is onto the spinning characteristics - we should have this issue ironed out shortly. :-)
    Just been playing with little success, but have noted two things: 1 = wing chord quoted as 8 feet, should be 4.8?. 2 = loaded C of G according to AFSD is way back at 36%. Unfortunately changing that does not help, at least with the 621 which is the only one I've played with. Good luck.
    Keith

Thanks Gents

Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Thanks Keith,
    Man, that's fast turnaround Sir!
    No, I can't spin the blighter either... still, I'm encouraged that she's otherwise performing well for you.
    Magoo has done an AWESOME job on all the flight models

The outstanding start procedure is the genius of Roman Stoviak aka Spokes2112.
    THANK YOU, ROMAN!!! :-)
    Keith & Nigel... Thank You for the kind words! She's turning out to be quite the project. 1st class all the way. Couldn't be done without all the contributors.
    Roman

wing chord quoted as 8 feet, should be 4.8?
    Biplanes have to use equivalent wing, so it's OK.

Just been playing with little success, but have noted two things: 1 = wing chord quoted as 8 feet, should be 4.8?. 2 = loaded C of G according to AFSD is way back at 36%. Unfortunately changing that does not help, at least with the 621 which is the only one I've played with. Good luck.
    Keith
    Ms Flightsim only allows us one main wing. When writing up a biplane or triplane, I essentially create a wing that considers the total surface of the two (or three) wing aircraft, and then position it in a manner where it would bear on the airframe in a manner that would mimic the real world multi-wing config.

If you have a copy of Aircraft Container Manager, the FS9 aircraft can be loaded to "see" what I did.

There can be a number of ways to handle that. This is how I like to play it.

Regarding the spin-less manners, it's getting a rudder rewrite. All else will fall in place.

Was going to do that tonight, but ended up repairing a busted cement mixer instead. ( Need it tomorrow...)

Next few nights the Avro will get fixed and spun. Then, once I've made myself good & airsick.....it's a turn (or more) for you fellows.

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha charlie View Post
    Biplanes have to use equivalent wing, so it's OK.
    Surely that would not be correct if the Aspect ratio is calculated from the area? It would also affect the 25% chord/ Leading edge dimension?
    Keith

Very odd jobs man and MiGaholic
    I'm in hog heaven with the 646 floater.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails avro 646 estonia.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Bushi View Post
    oh.. and the new 'pit.. with the start sequence.. oh yeah....very nice!!! AND MY FUEL GAUGE IS WORKING!!! no more sweaty palms and knotted stomach after two hours flying... with no airport in sight!!

cheers
    Dave
    That could be problematic in the Sea Tudor, depending on your current location, altitude and distance from the nearest seaport, Bushi. But the little 646 Sea Tudor (Early) with it's 5 cylinder engine just sips gas, mate.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

as much as I LOVE the 5 cyl...

...As a Canadian.. and knowing what BUSH piloting is all about in the great white north....the temptation NOT to put the RCAF Tutor on floats proved too great.
    So.. a couple of hours last night fiddling with cfg.s, adjusting alphas.. the usual.. and of course.. a bit of polishing and paintwork (and some SAFER anti-skid strips) on the floats.... and away we go..

oh.. edit to posting.. I added 'blanking plates' to cover the elongated holes where the landing gear struts passed through the fuselage skin. Visuble in the third pic.. but were not installed for the others.. LOL We don't want corrosive salt water splashing up in there now do we
    :-)

methinks a private Canadian operator of this airplane may follow................once the paint kits are available to us mere mortals!

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 187 on floats.jpg   187 on floats blanking plates.jpg   187 on floats 1.jpg  

and a more "period" civvie Canadian scheme.

Based on photos of civilian bush operators on the thirties and forties.

Now Just need to convince Nigel to provide a mdl file that has a canoe strapped to those float supports!! LOL
    Cheers
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 646 dark blue.jpg   646 dark blue 1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by darrenvox View Post
    Well done bushi
    thank you!
    and Avro 646 (Lynx) floatplane CF-BVR has been given a fresh finish.

Laurentian Air Services... Quebec and Ontario bush flying at it's finest!
    Now.. if Nigel would just get on it and deliver the canoe I ordered! Amazon.. he is not!! LOL

and a few SECONDS in photoshop.. and my base texture file is transformed.. and we have a Mackenzie Air Service airplane over the Pacific coast of British Columbia! :-)

cheers
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laurentian 646 floatplane.jpg   Mackenzie 646 off coast.jpg  
    Last edited by Bushi; April 23rd, 2018 at 07:40.

Nice work Bushi -- I couldn't help but notice the last three letters of the registration on the tail... "BVR". "Beyond Visual Range"... The Yellow Paint version looks superb.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Buzzing a trawler off the coast of Loch Indaal in Froggy's Vintage Scotland:

And tied up alongside the pier:

My goodness, she's a sprightly thing for a fabric covered biplane, isn't she?!

My goodness, she's a sprightly thing for a fabric covered biplane, isn't she?!
    Possibly a tad too sprightly, IMHO, Im going to have a play with the cfg...

Ttfn

Pete

Members +
    Well done, those paints are great.. I love the yellow.

I simply cannot wait for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Possibly a tad too sprightly, IMHO, Im going to have a play with the cfg...

Ttfn

Pete
    On my 'long' legs.. I'm finding her to be a bit of a pain! Yes.. the instability in the roll axis is most likely FAR more realistic.. but it's a pain trying to hold a course over....... oh lets say the featureless SAHARA... where you have no landmarks to aim at...and tough to read that old school compass!

My flight paths over a couple of hours of flying look like a drunken sailor!! LOL

I've actually gone back to the older flight model for the long distance jaunts as I continue my Sahara circumnavigation. but doing what she was designed to do... what a dream that 621 trainer is.. BRILLIANT!

Having ZERO clue on what to change so I can have two cfg.s to choose from while still enjoying the features of the new model, all of my 'attempts' to meld the old and new into a hybrid.. have met with abject failure!!

This is why I leave such 'magic' to the VERY talented wizards that know these things.. and stick to wielding a paint brush.....

Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Nice work Bushi -- I couldn't help but notice the last three letters of the registration on the tail... "BVR". "Beyond Visual Range"... The Yellow Paint version looks superb.

BB686
    The yellow is just a rework of Nigels RCAF paint. I removed a whack of alpha, smoothed out the paint on the metal cowl, and for the floatplane version.. covered the landing gear holes, and played with the 'floatplane' specific bits..

Still working on paints by 'tinting' and edititng Nigels paints in photoshop as I do not have a paint kit.. so.. yeah.. the shadows under BVR's tailplane etc. are decidedly BLUE. Once the paint kit is available.. I can redo them properly...
    Nigel KEEPS providing new, absolutely wonderful paints.. !!!! He's not leaving too many ACTUAL schemes for us 'creative types'!

oh, and the BVR.. TOTAL accident.. lol.. random letter pick.

Cheers
    Dave

Members who have read this thread: 0