Page 1 of 11 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Scimitar by Rob Richardson....

Members +
    Blog Entries

Scimitar by Rob Richardson....

Cheers Rob

ATB
    DaveB

He's a most industrious modeller, is Rob! Thanks for the HU.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

It's a battle to download if you use IE/MSE.. Smartscreen said it was unsafe.. but Rob said he had the same problem when he checked the download. Trusting Rob not to infect us all with something nasty.. I did as he did and downloaded it anyway. No problems to report and well worth the effort. Only had a very quick spin but can report it has Rob's usual traits.. an FD you don't have to fight with and a view out that allows you to actually SEE the carrier!! A PK of sorts would be nice so Victorious can be represented (you get one paint and it's for Ark Royal IV) but that aside.. she's a keeper. Nice one Rob

ATB
    DaveB

Yep.. all Rob's models come with a VC AFAIK. Not had a chance to look around and flick/turn every switch but everything you need is there.

ATB
    DaveB

Great!

Cees

That looks great, and fills a big gap. Thank you.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Damn Gorgeous Rob , one aircraft I brought years ago from Alphasim , simply they really look the part .. I must get a link for that and for the Skylance

Interesting illusion in Mr Booker's screenie - the wake effect makes it look as if the carrier has accelerated to overtake the plane

Somewhere around the middle of last century I had a Dinky Toys Swift, (and a Gloster Javelin) but I don't think they ever did a Scimitar...the memory bank is making noises about an Airfix model, but very faintly
    MikeW

Quote Originally Posted by emfrat View Post
    Interesting illusion in Mr Booker's screenie - the wake effect makes it look as if the carrier has accelerated to overtake the plane

Somewhere around the middle of last century I had a Dinky Toys Swift, (and a Gloster Javelin) but I don't think they ever did a Scimitar...the memory bank is making noises about an Airfix model, but very faintly
    MikeW
    Yeah.. looks a bit like it fishtailed when it opened the throttles I had the Javelin too.

Rob has posted a link to a PK for the Scimitar so I know what I'll be doing this afternoon!!
    ATB
    DaveB

I don't think there was ever an Airfix Scimitar. The nearest to an injection moulded Scimitar I remember was a fairly primitive 1/72nd scale Frog model of one of the prototypes, an N113? This had just the pilots head under the canopy and no wheel wells, if my memory is correct.

I'm hoping to be flying Rob's Scimitar soon. Whilst I have respect and admiration for the pilots who flew the large Scimitars from small British aircraft carriers it always gave me the impression of an aircraft in search of a role. It seemed to be overshadowed by the Buccaneer and Sea Vixen.

Quote Originally Posted by harrybasset View Post
    I don't think there was ever an Airfix Scimitar. The nearest to an injection moulded Scimitar I remember was a fairly primitive 1/72nd scale Frog model of one of the prototypes
    I best check out my old FROG model catalogue

Well I found my ole 1974 FROG Catalogue I have not seen for over ... Hmmm what century is this , Nah! no Scimitar , but boy did it bring back many memories

Check out the models section here Ian.. http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co...ar/history.php Frog did do a Scimitar If you have a few mins.. check this CMR build at Britmodeller.. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/i...e-scimitar-f1/ The end result is quite stunning
    ATB
    DaveB
    Last edited by DaveB; May 26th, 2016 at 01:18. Reason: Missed link

One thing I was thinking with reading the first link - "The locals ended up with peace and quiet as the air station closed later that year - and an open prison was built on it. Most would have preferred to keep the Scimitars!" - maybe they should have put the prison on the threshold , both ends off the runway

It was a great watch to see the model build .. then finished off with a great Doco 1960 Carrier Ops .. simply Brilliant

Looks great!

But the Lima/mike Sidewinder looks awfully out of place.... Any chance for a b-model Sidewinder (I guess that was the one used by the Scimitar?)?

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Thank you so much Jens for your knowledgeable input and for reminding me of the reason all my future models, although freeware, will be downloadable on request only.

I love your models and a quick count shows over 10 in the sim right now. I appreciate your hard work with making them. I have said this in many threads covering your aircraft and in person emails to you in the past.
    I only tried to say that the modern Sidewinder looked a bit out of place on the Scimitar. Was it critic of your hard work? no!
    Sometimes the meaning of a word and the intention from us non native English speaking get out wrong and "awfully" was in retrospective not what I tried to say. I hope you can take my apology.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

I remember the Dinky Javelin, Hunter, Swift (I think) Tempest and Meteor, and also the Comet, Viscount, Viking, York and Ensign. I think there were others too, pre-war.
    I think Frog did do a N113, reissued as a Scimitar, rather as Airfix did the NA39 Buccaneer.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    I love your models and a quick count shows over 10 in the sim right now. I appreciate your hard work with making them. I have said this in many threads covering your aircraft and in person emails to you in the past.
    I only tried to say that the modern Sidewinder looked a bit out of place on the Scimitar. Was it critic of your hard work? no!
    Sometimes the meaning of a word and the intention from us non native English speaking get out wrong and "awfully" was in retrospective not what I tried to say. I hope you can take my apology.
    Jens, all is forgiven!
    However well intentioned your advice may have been, to criticise my Scimitar is almost akin to calling my daughters ugly!
    You must realize certain shortcuts have to be taken on occasions, In my virtual storeroom I have a stock of readymade weapons and in the AA sub store I have one Sidewinder one Sparrow and one Firestreak.

In my virtual storeroom I have a stock of readymade weapons and in the AA sub store I have one Sidewinder one Sparrow and one Firestreak
    That made me snigger..

You confused me with the PK Rob (doesn't take much). I wasn't sure what to do with scim_fuselage2.psd which only bares a passing resemblance to scim_fuselage in the Ark Royal paint but I've managed to work around it. The WIP above is based on a single shot of XD264/154 803Sqn Victorious circa '59. Sadly.. I don't have a Warpaint for the Scimitar.
    BTW pop-pickers.. you can bin the Sidewinders and Matra's by zeroing the weight in fuel and payload. No option for tanks though.

ATB
    DaveB:-)

Blog Entries
    Hello Rob,

As I mentioned in my email request - this type is one of my favourite RN FAA aircraft, and I'm very eagerly hoping/awaiting it. I think you've nailed the proportions and details very well, and like the Skylancer, will give me much enjoyment. Oh, and like the Vampire. Oh and like the Sea Vixen, the Meteor, and the DH, and the '6, and so the list goes.

In a world of rapidly dwindling freeware, your work is not only appreciated just for that, but the "oddball" types you take on is a particular blessing - and I use that term endearingly, since most of us crave these older, off-the-beaten-path jewels of aviation history.

Thanks for taking this on - it's a good candidate for some great repaints from the various OCU and operational squadrons, so I'm sure for us FAA RN oddballs, this is a real treat. Having flown the pants off the AS version, I'm sure this will be the keeper.

cheers,

dl

ps - Hello Dave! long time no talk - coming back to the sim after a good almost year of absence (in no small part thanks to the emergence of this model) hope you're well. What's the island / castle scenery in your above shot? It's gorgeous....

Members who have read this thread: 4