Scimitar by Rob Richardson.... - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011

Thread: Scimitar by Rob Richardson....

Thanks for the info MrZippy.

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    On a separate note, can any other users confirm the stall speed with full fuel etc and no flaps is well below 100kts IAS? Also, can anyone confirm the airbrakes cause little deceleration?
    I have seen an old RAN magazine article written by a LT pilot saying 130 knots on approach with half fuel, full flaps, flap bleed air on (yes, it used this!), and "boards out". I have to assume this is with no external stores because he was doing CQs. Extrapolating, I have to guess he was saying:

EW = 23, 960 lbs
    equipped pilot = 250 lbs (a larger piiot)
    1/2 internal fuel = 4275 lbs

So approach weight would be about 28,485 lbs at 130 KIAS on speed. If the RN used USN philosophy, this would be 10% above stall onset, or 118 KIAS.

As a reminder, using speed brakes is critical - it keeps you "spooled up" on the power, makes small power changes more effective in controlling rate of descent, and - PULLING THEM IN ON A WAVEOFF MAKES A BIG DIFFENCE IN WAVEOFF RESPONSE!!. Same if you bolter --

Been there, done that - good normally, not too bad occasionally, ugly - only once.

I have an original Scimitar F1 Pilot's Notes (along with some other original Scimitar air publications) and if someone reminds me I'll get around to checking the numbers...

I also have a genuine Scimitar panel I hope to get around to restoring one day, but that is another story!

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    I have an original Scimitar F1 Pilot's Notes (along with some other original Scimitar air publications) and if someone reminds me I'll get around to checking the numbers...

I also have a genuine Scimitar panel I hope to get around to restoring one day, but that is another story!

Andy
    Do the notes have any performance charts or tables with speed vs weight vs configuration? Also, max carrier trap weight, vice max field landing weight (usually different)?

I'll check when I check...

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

There's a bit about deck landing in the Ad-Hoc Publications 'Scimitar From the Cockpit' where a pilot mentions the single throttle technique. Basically you set both throttles at an intermediate position and then only adjusted one of them from then on, essentially it gave finer control as you were only altering the thrust on one engine. It wasn't an approved procedure as such, so wasn't in the manuals, but was in fairly widespread use by all accounts.

Just finished an FSX version of the above Scimitar F1
    With removeable tanks and Sidewinders.
    Here is a download link should anyone be interested.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/14zf65

RobR

sorry, put the wrong link up, should be OK now.
    Old age, hot weather, stuff like that!

Thanks Rob.

Excellent news, thanks very much.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Blog Entries
    Thanks a ton, Rob - can't wait to try tonight after work!!

dl

Thank you very much! Great improvement!

Cees

Do you really need to both register and give card details to use this download service?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Do you really need to both register and give card details to use this download service?
    I had a direct download from that link but my Kaspersky warned it was a dangerous site - give them no details !

Many thanks Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Nope, just hit the download button.

Nope. Not for me. Get a plethora of sign-up/register ads - none looking very desirable or healthy. Using Chrome.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Sorry. Strange, it now seems to work! I think you need to backspace from the sign up ads and it then offers the download. Thanks Rob for another great model!

My Windows Defender blocks it, says it's not safe.
    T Square

The Load Toad

WEAPONS
    LOADER CREED
    We, the unwilling
    Led by the unknowing,
    Are doing the impossible,
    For the ungrateful.

Sendspace is a Google program.
    It's "tricky" but its free.

Hi Rob link https://www.sendspace.com/file/14zf65 is not working anymore can you please fix it.

Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 3