Adjusting Eyepoint in CFS-3

Thread: Adjusting Eyepoint in CFS-3

Adjusting Eyepoint in CFS-3

I've got some a/c in CFS3 which need the eye point moved back a bit. I found some CFS 2 instructions, but they are not relevant. Can someone poit me to the files I need to adjust please?

Thanks

JOhn

SOH-CM-2020
    Hi JohnCT-4,

Not sure but I'd look first in the aircraft's xdp file. Just before the loadouts section, you will see gunner seat and pilot seat specifications, I suspect you can position the pilot in this part of the xdp. Every time I look at this section is seems pretty complex, so gently does it! Make a back-up before editing. Also remember to delete the bdp file when you want to test the edited xdp file.

HTH,

I've never been able to find a way to do it.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    AFAIK you need the source pit file to modify this. The only work around is to set up your Cfs3 eyepoint commands - up down left right forward backwards. This will affect all a/c of course but there's also a reset eyepoint command.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle View Post
    AFAIK you need the source pit file to modify this. The only work around is to set up your Cfs3 eyepoint commands - up down left right forward backwards. This will affect all a/c of course but there's also a reset eyepoint command.
    How can I access the Cfs3 eyepoint commands?

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar

Icon20

You know... you hit "scroll lock" on yer keyboard and then ya' can swim/pan around in the pit
    with your joystick tophat or the directional keys in 'numpad' and then snap back by
    hitting "scroll lock" again and bumping any numlock arrow or your tophat button... also
    pan back away with [ & ] ... (your zooming brackets)
    hope this helps

That let's you look around, but does not actually change the x, y, z location of where you're looking from. In some models the eye point is incorrectly located such that you're trying to look out from way too low of a seat position, or from inside a solid part of the model. It's these situations where being able to actually move the eye point would be handy.

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    How can I access the Cfs3 eyepoint commands?
    I'm not in front of my home pc right now but in the key assignments, go to the view commands and in there you can assign keys to move the eye-point. I have the home/page down etc. keys next to the number pad assigned.

Viewpoint left and right is particularly useful when taxiing in tail draggers as it allows you to 'lean' out of the cockpit and see where you're going (as the real pilots had to do).
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

The eyepoint can be changed. It takes a bit of XDP editing but hey - what doesn't require fiddling in this game?

In the <Views> section there are the different view directions. Find the line that looks like

<View Event="HeadStop"/>

and change it to

<View Event="HeadStop" X="0" Y="0" Z="0.1"/>

and lo and behold, your seat has moved. I don't remember which direction that one changes it but 0.1 means a 10 cm change, CFS3 is metric in that regard. The catch is that it won't take effect immediately, only after you've looked into some other direction and returned to the forward view. And this is with the "snap view", no idea if it works with the smooth panning or TrackID.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by greycap.raf View Post
    The eyepoint can be changed. It takes a bit of XDP editing but hey - what doesn't require fiddling in this game?

In the <Views> section there are the different view directions. Find the line that looks like

<View Event="HeadStop"/>

and change it to

<View Event="HeadStop" X="0" Y="0" Z="0.1"/>

and lo and behold, your seat has moved. I don't remember which direction that one changes it but 0.1 means a 10 cm change, CFS3 is metric in that regard. The catch is that it won't take effect immediately, only after you've looked into some other direction and returned to the forward view. And this is with the "snap view", no idea if it works with the smooth panning or TrackID.
    thanks, greycap.raf, that will save a lot of time. I will certinly experiment with this, I often find eyepoints a bit unsatisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by greycap.raf View Post
    The catch is that it won't take effect immediately, only after you've looked into some other direction and returned to the forward view. And this is with the "snap view", no idea if it works with the smooth panning or TrackID.
    After a bit of experimenting I now understand why I didn't think that edits to the xpd HeadStop position worked when I tried them in the past.

I use TrackIR, and that disables the snap view functions in the cockpit. Without being able to change the view it never resets the HeadStop to the new X, Y, Z location.

If you pause TrackIR or lose connection with the reflectors then snap view starts working again and the HeadStop location moves, but as soon as TrackIR reconnects it goes back to the model default location.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar

Icon28

Sorry, lads... I forgot all about 'ctrl+enter' which in many cases can move you a bit too far back...

Members who have read this thread: 0