Peenemünde Visit!

Thread: Peenemünde Visit!

Peenemünde Visit!

Two weeks ago, I spent one week on the island of Usedom in the north East of Germany. I have never been there, but since my wife grew up in former GDR, she spent some holidays there.
    In fact, these are IMHO the nicest baltic sea beaches in Germany. Heringsdorf and Ahlbeck are very famous for their piers and architectures mainly from time of the German Kaiser.
    I reservated one day just for me to visit Peenemünde and I even, when I roughly knew, what I would find, I was very surprised by the size of it.

I joined a guided tour and leanred alot. For example, that there were actually two sites Peenmünde West and Ost, one beeing the army facility researching the V2 rockets and later developments. The other being the Luftwaffe site developing smaller, mainly rocket powered weapons as the Fritz X.

Further, the guide told us, about 8t of alcohol were needed to be produced to fill the rocket. It was actually Kartoffelschnaps - potatobooze and they needed vast amounts of potatoes to filll just one rocket!Soo many, that Nazi Germany never would have been able to harvest enough for the planned production of rockets.

Interesting is also, that only roughly 4 tons was the capability of the rocket, the rest was lost during transportation and filling. Some guys even stole and drank it :-)

Interrsting as well was, that the prupose was always to built a replacement for army artillery shells, and thus a warhead with explosives was constructed.
    But actually, the kinetic power just from the weight and power (speed mach 5!!) would have been devastating enough to produce huge impact craters.

I only know of the MetalDreams V2 for CFS2 modelled as an Aircraft.
    But since it is actually a Ground Ground artillery rocket Is their somewhere a weapons model set up as rocket with speed mach 5 in CFS2 ??

For all, that never have been there and maybe never will: Take this virtual tour, which I like very much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E52NmfpTL-A
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aggregat 4 DAS GERAET (MD)_SL.jpg  
    Visit my CFS2-dedicated sites: CFS2 : Tips&Tricks + Downloads + A/C-Profiles + Links

Interesting video link but with inevitable terrible German accents.

Is there an admin out there?
    I tried to correct my spelling errors and ended up with another opened thread, but lost the uploaded picture here for some reason in the new one?
    Can you please copy the text from the ohter thread over to my initial post here and delete the double thread.
    Many thanks!
    Visit my CFS2-dedicated sites: CFS2 : Tips&Tricks + Downloads + A/C-Profiles + Links

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Thank-you Jaxon for sharing your experiences from your visit to Peenemunde. Very interesting.

I have only had time to watch about 1/2 of the video, but it too is fascinating.

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Members who have read this thread: 0