Let's experiment: DMFS BAC 1-11 FSX native - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's experiment: DMFS BAC 1-11 FSX native

Ooooh I forgot how nice-looking the VC of that plane was !
    Thanks for your efforts Bjoern. Concerning the VC lights, if I'm not mistaken, you can only attach the "light illuminate ground" effet to the 3D model, but not the spotlight effect (like nav lights)...
    Anyways, are the landing lights attached to any moving parts on that plane ? If not, you can probably simply add them to the CFG of the plane...

The turnoff lights are built into the fuse.. the landing and taxi lights are typical Vickers/BAC and motor down out of the wings and nose.

ATB
    DaveB

It's a British plane....ergo the electrics are probably Lucas.....
    ....and everyone knows that 'Lucas' is 'the prince of darkness'.

The lights therefore never worked on the real plane either.

Brilliant attention to detail...

Yep, know and love Lucas products well. Lucas three way switch settings: dim, flicker and off.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Well, seems like landing light effects really don't like being attached to geometry. They work fine when they are at the model root. Drawback: No movement with the flexing wings. I'm really baffled by that because the default DC-3 definitely flexes and has working attach point lights.

MCX' model importer also doesn't like some geometry, which is the reason why the nose light casing and the pedestal is off. Therefor, I have to compile the models directly from the .x file which means that I can't effectively use MCX after having added the fixed geometry and light effects and consequently, I had to learn how to convert visibility code from ASCII to ASCII decimal and then add it to the objects requiring visbilities.
    Upside: I can at least persistently store visibility data in the .x file now instead of repeatedly having to add it each and every time in MCX' UI.

One thing that still refuses to work is adding mouse rectangles tocockpit elements. And I have no friggin' idea why.

Prepare for a new release. As far as I can see, the VC model now looks exactly like the one in the FS9 model and you'll get landing lights and reflections.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Yep, know and love Lucas products well. Lucas three way switch settings: dim, flicker and off.
    I miss the Brit sense of humor.

This should make you smile then.
    Regards,
    Nick

As the german saying goes: "Grindingly, the squirrel nourishes itself."*

Current status:
    - 200 series done
    - 400 series done

There's a bunch of files included that might satsify any possible curiosity about the conversion process.
    Masochists trying the conversion themselves should go straight for a conversion of the -200HK and -200 cockpit model as it requires replacing parts straight in the .x file. Better than being whipped!

The old link is not valid anymore, grab this and any future updates from this one:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K...ew?usp=sharing

I've started with the 475 as it's a good bridge between the short bodies and the 500 series. And then there's that bloody stupid BEA extrawurst...

*"Squirrrrrrrrrrrrrl". Can't fool this Jerry!

Hi Bjoern,

Bei der -200 hat sich ein kleiner Fehler eingeschlichen, INT und EXT model sind die selben. Man sieht vom Flugzeug Extern nur Tragflächen und Cockpit.

Grüße

Bjoern .... I have a vague feeling [high school German from 50 years ago] that morpheusfz found the same thing...
    The straight 200 series model has an int and ext files the same size...and it looks like both are int. Externally you only see the the VC area and the wings...

I hate these stupid tools that don't keep the name of the output file in line with the input file.

Fixed models are uploaded.

The 475 series models are done. Download link is the same as in post #33.

Bjoern, I have an issue with the 1-11 200's under your settings, the a/c display as wireframe. I only retained the Allegheny and DRA textures from the original so I do not know if this is an issue with any other original texture. This does NOT happen with any other of your conversions including the 200HK. It may be something I have done of course. I run in DX10 and have converted all textures from BMP to DDS.
    Any ideas?

Edit - I should add that if I revert to the original DM Model files, then the displayed model returns to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Bjoern, I have an issue with the 1-11 200's under your settings, the a/c display as wireframe. I only retained the Allegheny and DRA textures from the original so I do not know if this is an issue with any other original texture. This does NOT happen with any other of your conversions including the 200HK. It may be something I have done of course. I run in DX10 and have converted all textures from BMP to DDS.
    Any ideas?

Edit - I should add that if I revert to the original DM Model files, then the displayed model returns to normal.
    The only instance of displaying wireframes in FSX that I know of is by editing shader files see here:
    http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thr...oussin.432720/

Since you're using DX10, you're most certainly also using Steve's DX10 Toolkit. So I'm assuming that you ran into a shader hiccup.

Other than that, I have no idea.

[QUOTE=Bjoern;
    Is the FS9 model reflective?[/QUOTE]

I am very new to Model Converter X. For my own personal use, I wanted to try and set up the 1-11 with FSX reflection. I've gotten it to show up in the sim but I've not yet learned how to export the model properly and therefore I'm having issues with the model not displaying in the locked spot view and problem with very low frame rates. As I said I'm very new to MCX. Am I trying to do something here that is not even possible to work properly? What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Bjoern this is great work!I tried the old panel cfg switch to convert fuel quantity and fuel flow to read in LBS and it didn't work although the gauges show up in your new gauge folder. any workarounds that you know of?

I do not post on the forums but follow them closely. I have to say this is awesome. I have more hours in the 1-11 than any other aircraft on FSX. I cant wait to see how far this goes! Thank you all for your hard work!

If someone contributes some exit locations for the models, I'd in turn try to make the main exit stairs conditionally visible so that you can use jetway parking positions.

Quote Originally Posted by bob407 View Post
    I am very new to Model Converter X. For my own personal use, I wanted to try and set up the 1-11 with FSX reflection. I've gotten it to show up in the sim but I've not yet learned how to export the model properly and therefore I'm having issues with the model not displaying in the locked spot view and problem with very low frame rates. As I said I'm very new to MCX. Am I trying to do something here that is not even possible to work properly? What are your thoughts? Thanks.
    I have enabled alpha-channel based reflections (belnd diffuse by diffuse alpha) on all models, so you should not need to do any edits yourself.

And you need to edit the model radius with RADItor after exporting it from MCX as it will calculate and set it at over 6 kilometers (which does inevitably screw with FSX and produce the very low framerate you're observing). For testing purposes, you can leave the bounding box values alone and set the model radius to 15 m or so.

Quote Originally Posted by dc10boy View Post
    I tried the old panel cfg switch to convert fuel quantity and fuel flow to read in LBS and it didn't work although the gauges show up in your new gauge folder. any workarounds that you know of?
    I don't support DM's original panel confics. Use my updated versions.

But since I have to publish an update anyway (to incorporate the new ground lights), I might just offer permanent english and metric panels that can be set per repaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Inductotherm View Post
    I do not post on the forums but follow them closely. I have to say this is awesome. I have more hours in the 1-11 than any other aircraft on FSX. I cant wait to see how far this goes! Thank you all for your hard work!
    Well, I've started updating the 510ED's panel to incorporate the updates I did for the regular models. Once this is done, I'll do the models themselves. After the models are published, I'll wrap up the panel mods.
    Maybe throw in an experiment to add actual glass to the VCs at one point and the conditional airstairs (see above).

Quote Originally Posted by dc10boy View Post
    Bjoern this is great work!I tried the old panel cfg switch to convert fuel quantity and fuel flow to read in LBS and it didn't work although the gauges show up in your new gauge folder. any workarounds that you know of?
    Seems as if the imperial panel.cfg still uses metric fuel gauges.

Find all instances of "_KG_" and "_KGH_" in the panel.cfg and replace them with "_LB_" and "_PPH_" respectively. There should be six and four occurrences.

Edit: Don't bother, the imperial fuel gauges are fundamentally broken. Will be fixed for the next upload.

The next revision of the panel will definitely be switchable per repaint (panel= for imperial and panel=metric for metric gauges).

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I have enabled alpha-channel based reflections (belnd diffuse by diffuse alpha) on all models, so you should not need to do any edits yourself.

And you need to edit the model radius with RADItor after exporting it from MCX as it will calculate and set it at over 6 kilometers (which does inevitably screw with FSX and produce the very low framerate you're observing). For testing purposes, you can leave the bounding box values alone and set the model radius to 15 m or so.
    Thank you Bjoern for this very helpful info. After exporting, I set the model radius to 15 m as you suggested and got much better results. I got the locked spot camera back and frame rates back to normal. Reflection is working very nicely ( just need to tweak it down some). The only problem I've noticed after my editing the model reflection is that I somehow caused the left side flap texture to not display, as seen in the first two photos below. In the third photo the only thing I had done was switch back to your model and the left flap was back. Also in the third photo I had simply tried editing (not with MCX) the alpha channel of the 111FUSE_1.bmp to get reflection but it appears to be affecting the specular instead. Again thank you for all your work and valuable info and I am very happy to finally get this far with MCX.

Last edited by bob407; May 19th, 2016 at 15:53. Reason: 1

That's good to hear, Bob.

Hold your horses though, as I took a look into the FSX SDK documentation and found out that I enabled the wrong type of reflection on each and every model.
    I'll upload the fixed models together with the 510ED, which I am converting.

Meanwhile, the panels were updated and fixed and their directory structure was set up as efficiently as feasible. The aircraft.cfgs of the 475 and 510s were also brought up to spec.
    And since none of you lazybutts provided me with exit codes, I had to do the work myself, which cost me a bit of time.

I've finished the 510ED and merged the models with the panel update. The models are therefor not separately available anymore.

New thread:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rade&p=1024477

Members who have read this thread: 0