Flysimware G44 Widgeon - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flysimware G44 Widgeon

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Same here Justin. Couldn't go much more than about 5kts in the turn before it would start to tip over. I also have the Just Flight Widgeon from many years ago and Had enjoyed flying that bird as well.
    Digging back into half-century-old memories of my very limited experience with the Widgeon, that 5kts would be about right. Working as a ramp rat in the 60's, I got to know a few pilots who would let 'the kid' take a turn and among those were operators of all three common powerplant variants (inline, flat Lycomings and a Lyc. radial PACE Gannet conversion)

I was taught that taxiing should be at, or slower than a 'brisk walk' which seems slow in the sim. With the narrow track and long moment arm of the tail, it was not sports car handling! Yoke held fully rearward, a gentle tap of the inside brake with full inside rudder and a smooth application of differential power at that speed should provide a gradual turn. Aggressive power application with the high thrust line could be exciting if the tail was not held down. The sim's coarse ground handling modeling, abrupt braking effects and often lack of dual throttles don't make it easy. The same applies to most FS castoring tailwheel aircraft that depend on gentle, practiced technique.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    Digging back into half-century-old memories of my very limited experience with the Widgeon, that 5kts would be about right. Working as a ramp rat in the 60's, I got to know a few pilots who would let 'the kid' take a turn and among those were operators of all three common powerplant variants (inline, flat Lycomings and a Lyc. radial PACE Gannet conversion)

I was taught that taxiing should be at, or slower than a 'brisk walk' which seems slow in the sim. With the narrow track and long moment arm of the tail, it was not sports car handling! Yoke held fully rearward, a gentle tap of the inside brake with full inside rudder and a smooth application of differential power at that speed should provide a gradual turn. Aggressive power application with the high thrust line could be exciting if the tail was not held down. The sim's coarse ground handling modeling, abrupt braking effects and often lack of dual throttles don't make it easy. The same applies to most FS castoring tailwheel aircraft that depend on gentle, practiced technique.
    Good info, thanks Rob!

Good info, thanks Rob!
    I will back that! Definitely good info Rob! I'm going to try the new .cfg now, but my problem may lie in not having independent throttle levers for the asymmetrical thrust portion of taxiing. I have the Saitek Cessna yoke, pedals, and throttle, perhaps I might invest in another quadrant soon, that is, if I can get the approval from "The High Command".

Thanks for all the input on this guys!
    ~Justin

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . ." — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Well, I just tested the new .cfg and the new brake scalar definitely improves ground handling for me. But as Rob stated....nice and slow with full back pressure is the order of the day.

I just love this little Widgeon!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-5-16_11-23-52-910.jpg  
    ~Justin

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . ." — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I have noticed that, at night, the "3D" portion of my landing light looks like a bunch of rotating white squares, is anyone else have this problem. I am running in DX10 mode if that helps narrow down what the problem could be.
    ~Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Corpse_Grinder View Post
    I have noticed that, at night, the "3D" portion of my landing light looks like a bunch of rotating white squares, is anyone else have this problem. I am running in DX10 mode if that helps narrow down what the problem could be.
    Yes I too have that problem and the "Fixer" doesn't cure it. I'll probably replace the texture with a stock one or maybe an A2A light.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Yes I too have that problem and the "Fixer" doesn't cure it. I'll probably replace the texture with a stock one or maybe an A2A light.
    I have reached out Flysimware on their Facebook page to see if it's common problem. I will report back when I hear a response.
    ~Justin

I contacted Flysimware's support email and did get a reply, I think the person replying may have thought I was using P3D when I am in fact on FSX w/Acceleration. I wrote back explaining this but have not heard back yet. In mean time, I did some research of my own.

The [LIGHTS] section of the aircraft.cfg calls on this effect file for what I presume is the 3D lights...

light.12 = 5, 2.80, 14.70, -0.1, fx_landing_3D_FSW
    light.13 = 6, 2.80, 14.05, -0.1, fx_landing_3D_FSW

So then I found this effect file and opened it. It is calling for texture "fx_land_lights.bmp"

Texture=fx_land_lights.bmp

I did a search on my entire FSX install and this texture is not present. I think, for some odd reason, the installer may not have installed this texture. Can you confirm this Roger?
    ~Justin

I have reached out Flysimware on their Facebook page to see if it's common problem. I will report back when I hear a response.
    I finally had time yesterday to fly the Widgeon with the updated cfg file and was actually able to taxi at around 10kts in a turn without the wing tip strike. . . .also braking seemed better also. As for the landing light oddity that you and Roger have, I run FSX/Accel (not in DX10 Preview Mode) and have no such problem.

As for the landing light oddity that you and Roger have, I run FSX/Accel (not in DX10 Preview Mode) and have no such problem.
    Can you confirm that you have the texture I mentioned above in your install Falcon?
    ~Justin

Can you confirm that you have the texture I mentioned above in your install Falcon?
    Not Falcon, but interesting confirmation in that that texture is not present in the FSX-SE install, but is present in P3Dv3 install. May be the only reason it's called is for the P3D installations?

In FSX I have. . . . . . . fx_landing_light.bmp

In P3D I have. . . . . . .fx_landing_lights.bmp

In FSX I have. . . . . . . fx_landing_light.bmp

In P3D I have. . . . . . .fx_landing_lights.bmp

This is interesting. I wonder if I should try to reinstall the aircraft when I get home from work in the morning?
    ~Justin

Well, I just tested the new .cfg and the new brake scalar definitely improves ground handling for me. But as Rob stated....nice and slow with full back pressure is the order of the day.

I just love this little Widgeon!

I can't find that repaint in your screenshot. Can you help?
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

I can't find that repaint in your screenshot. Can you help?
    I made it myself Roger.
    ~Justin

Also, I brought my missing texture issue to light with Flysimware, and they have acknowledged that it is indeed missing from the installer. My thought is, the reason Falcon has it in his install is that he owns the Shockwave 3D Lights already, therefor FSX just found it in whatever folder it was hiding in. Flysimware has posted the file on their updates found here for those with missing the texture issue...

http://flysimware.com/website/GRUMMAN_G44A.html
    ~Justin

I made it myself Roger.
    Will you upload the repaint? It looks really good and I'd like to add it to the fleet.
    SYSTEM :

Fix from Flightsimware confirmed working!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-5-23_9-47-59-947.jpg  
    ~Justin

Will you upload the repaint? It looks really good and I'd like to add it to the fleet.
    I don't want to upload it Roger. This is just a modification of one of the original liveries included with the plane. I don't want any copyright infringements.
    ~Justin

I don't want to upload it Roger. This is just a modification of one of the original liveries included with the plane. I don't want any copyright infringements.
    Understood, no problems.
    SYSTEM :

not sure I ever gave links to the previous ones, but they are on Ozx and I'm (slowly) working on a few more:

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

I guess I'm late to the party - again

Where can I find the repaints done by Fireball ?...the existing links in this thread appear to be broken or have been taken down

Searching for repaints on this website's database is an exercise in futility for me -
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Hi Heywood,

it could be a good idea to contact me via PM

ATB

Dirk

did I show this one already?

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Fireball6 - PM sent

Jankees - love your repaints too

Grinder - that shark mouth on the Navy Widgeon looks very good. But I understand why you are not comfortable sharing it.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Members who have read this thread: 1