slight overclocking question

Thread: slight overclocking question

Question slight overclocking question

It looks like I'm finally ready to replace my aging low-spec Dell XP machine (which was purchased way prior to my interest in Flight Simming) with a purpose built Skylake gaming machine from Cyberpower. If I purchase thru Costco there is a 5% discount thru 30 April and I get 2% cashback eventually as an executive member.

The problem is, that although I can get a 6700K processor thru the Costco website, the usual Cyberpower 10% overclock option is not available. A couple of questions then come to mind.
    1. Will I have good FSX-SE (and maybe eventually P3D) performance w/o the overclock?
    2. Can I overclock it myself through Invidia Inspector or something?
    3. If I did this, would it void my Cyberpower warranty?

This is a big financial leap for my pensioner budget so I want to make it count. I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Obie

Current config I am considering is as follows:

• Magnus Intel Z170 Configurator (NO MONITOR)

• *BASE_PRICE: [+862]
    • CAS: Corsair Carbide 300R w/ USB 3.0 [-50]
    • CASUPGRADE: None
    • CD: LG 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive & DVDRW, 3D Playback Combo Drive [+32] (BLACK COLOR)
    • CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-6700K 4.00GHZ 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Skylake) [+116]
    • CS_FAN: Maximum Airflow with 120mm Case Fans for your selected case [+9]
    • FAN: Corsair Hydro Series H60 120mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate [+20] (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
    • FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer [+10] (BLACK COLOR)
    • HDD: 512GB Samsung 850 PRO Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 550MB/s Read & 520MB/s Write [+360] (Single Drive)
    • HDD2: None
    • HEADSET: None
    • IUSB: Internal USB 3.0 4-Port Hub [+25]
    • KEYBOARD: None [-5]
    • MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory [+97] (GSKILL Ripjaws V [+30])
    • MONITOR: None
    • MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z170-K ATX w/ USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 1 SATA Express, 6 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2 [-55]
    • MOUSE: CYBERPOWERPC Gaming Mouse
    • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    • POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - EVGA 600B 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply [+20]
    • RUSH: Standard Process Time: Ship within 10 Business Day
    • SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
    • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    • TEMP: None
    • VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 (Maxwell) [+273] (Single Card)
    • WNC: None
    • _PRICE: (+1775)
    $1,775.00 × 1 $1,775.00
    Coupon: 5%CPCONFIG (5% off CostCo configurators) $-88.75
    Subtotal $1,686.25
    Grand Total: $1,686.25

Have a look at this beast before you buy. I have had a Lenovo Erazer X510 for a year or so and it kicks ass. Can be overclocked on the fly using software etc.

This is the Lenovo newest model. You should at least check it out.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/ideacentre/y700/

Blog Entries
    The problem is, that although I can get a 6700K processor thru the Costco website, the usual Cyberpower 10% overclock option is not available. A couple of questions then come to mind.

1. Will I have good FSX-SE (and maybe eventually P3D) performance w/o the overclock?
    2. Can I overclock it myself through Invidia Inspector or something?
    3. If I did this, would it void my Cyberpower warranty?

Obie any time you overclock on your own it will void a warranty with a MFG unless the MFG specifically builds a unit to be overclocked. That is why I build my own...plus I can save money! Overclocking is easy if you buy component parts that allow for the extra heat and voltage and buy a good water cooling system.
    Ted

Obie I just checked and the turbo mode on this system should be more than sufficient to handle any sim or game you play...
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Overclocking the CPU is a doddle these days especially on Asus mobo's using there AI Suite software and even without that the K CPU's mildly overclock automatically.
    For instance my 4790K is a 4Ghz CPU stock and is automatically running at 4.4Ghz on my Asus Maximus VII Ranger M/B. I could easily push it further with AI Suite but haven't really needed to.

I get 50+ fps in rural areas in ORBXed P3D with high but not quite maxed settings but thats more down to my 3GB 780Ti rather than the CPU, I'd be able to max it out if I could afford to upgrade that.

That system should make my rig look like a pocket calculator by comparison.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Obie any time you overclock on your own it will void a warranty with a MFG unless the MFG specifically builds a unit to be overclocked. That is why I build my own...plus I can save money! Overclocking is easy if you buy component parts that allow for the extra heat and voltage and buy a good water cooling system.
    Ted

Obie I just checked and the turbo mode on this system should be more than sufficient to handle any sim or game you play...
    Understood about overclocking and the warranty. I did confirm that as well with Cyberpower.

By "turbo mode" is that something available to me in the stock system that doesn't count as overclocking? Is turbo mode enabled by the AI Suite utility?

Obie

Hey All,

Obie that should be a screamin machine. I noticed two things: 1) You will need another hard drive as I doubt that just one? 550 is big enough and; 2) I would consider going to a 6600K as it should knock $150-$200 maybe more off the price without giving up much performance. After the warranty overclock as Txnet says. Nice computer either way...

Good luck!

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Icon26

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    Hey All,

Obie that should be a screamin machine. I noticed two things: 1) You will need another hard drive as I doubt that just one? 550 is big enough and; 2) I would consider going to a 6600K as it should knock $150-$200 maybe more off the price without giving up much performance. After the warranty overclock as Txnet says. Nice computer either way...

Good luck!

-Ed-
    Thanks Ed. I have a 128g Crucial SSD that has all my Addon Scenery and ORBX West Coast USA on it. I just thought I'd add it to the new machine and try to mklink from the Steam symbolic folders to that drive. I am also thinking about a 2tb usb 3.0 outboard drive for backups.

Obie

While I did build m own PC I wouldn't consider myself an expert at all, but I got a lot of good information and help from two reddit forums: www.reddit.com/r/buildapc and www.reddit.com/r/cabalofthebuildsmiths you should find some good info there.

If you are planning on overclocking yourself there are normally some guides around, if you search for your CPU and motherboard combination, normally from places like overclockers.net .
    All modern aircraft have four dimensions: Length, Width, Height and Polotics. The TSR.2 simply got the first three right

Members who have read this thread: 0