October 11th, 2014, 00:21
Karen emailed them again the other night, received an auto-responder (the 2nd one) stating that there is a delay in communications currently. You're one step further ahead than us. We'll follow it up again on Monday evening our time, unfortunately there's not much we can do.
They've now received 3 emails from us and waiting a further week (from last Monday to this), is bothersome, however we will keep prodding them along until we know for sure the product is available. We apologise for this inconvenience.