PDA

View Full Version : CLS Piper Arrow freeware

SSI01
April 12th, 2016, 15:34
While surfing the aviation web tonight I happened on CLS's website and noted their Piper Arrow was freeware. Knowing nothing about CLS's products, I downloaded the aircraft and installed it per instructions, taking note of the statement by the maker CLS had advanced considerably beyond what was to be seen in this aircraft. Just wanted to see what they were offering. After starting the sim and going to the aircraft, I noted it is impossible to see outside the aircraft except in the 2d panel view, and then only to the front. All windows in my sim are filled with a turqoise texture that makes it impossible to see out the aircraft except through the windscreen, and then only in 2D. Mention is made of "light" in the aircraft's download, but it's not very well explained. Is this just CLS's way of saying "this is a restriction we placed in the download because it is freeware?"

BrittMac
April 12th, 2016, 15:42
Shouldn't be. I d/l'ed it a few months ago and used it. Actually just uninstalled it a couple weeks ago when I remembered to.
Try reinstalling it maybe?

flaviossa
April 12th, 2016, 15:50
Download the "Virtual Cockpit Rain fix for FSX" and install it on your system. That should deal with the turquoise windows:
http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

SSI01
April 12th, 2016, 17:59
I've d/l'd it. As soon as I opened the installer I get this message

"Your FSX registry path could not be found.

Please run the Registry Repair Tool by Tools - > Registry Repair from the menu."

I'll let you know if/when I get past this first.

EDIT: Did the registry path update per instructions and tried the installation. I now get a dialog box saying, "Invalid file name or directory."
I've read what the dialog box has to say about which FSX files will be backed up in the "texture" folder, and have manually made backups for them in a desktop folder. Is it possible for you or someone who has already installed this product to send the following corrected files via email attachment (if it's not a violation of any of this site's rules of etiquette, or copyright law):

VCRainMoving0000.bmp to VCRainMoving0015.bmp
VCRainStopped0000.bmp to VCRainStopped0015.bmp

If not, what is the proper method for maneuvering around this "invalid file name" message?

Thanks

LAST EDIT: I had to install the program twice for some reason, but on the second try it clicked and fixed the problem. Thanks for doing what this forum and this site do best - share info and help out those in a fix!

EMatheson
April 12th, 2016, 19:24
That installer is pretty annoying, if I do say so myself. However, some quick experimentation finds that absolutely anything works for the registration code - including random gibberish of any length meeting the minimum or longer.

Naismith
April 12th, 2016, 22:23
From memory that particular a/c didn't stay on my HD for long.

SSI01
April 13th, 2016, 03:01
I'm not sure this one will, either. I was looking for a low-wing contemporary for the C-172 that comes with the sim and was wondering if this was the bird. I know things have come a long way from 2007, no doubt it's improved. Is there a comparable freeware aircraft?

Stefano Zibell
April 13th, 2016, 12:30
http://lhsimulations.com/pwdt-zlin-142-for-fsx/

Unsure if comparable, though.

semo
April 13th, 2016, 18:19
Try the Grumman AA-5 by Tim Conrad. I also have a PA-28 warrior by Spike that I can't remember where I got it.