PDA

View Full Version : Static aircraft.......how to install?

Navy Chief
April 12th, 2016, 11:22
I want to install several static aircraft into FSX, but am confused about where the files should be placed. Some static aircraft (such as Guy Diotte's) have Library, Model, and Texture folders. His instructions state:

...... "put the files in the “T2C Buckeye Library” , folder in your FSX “Addon Scenery/Scenery Folder” then the files in the "T2C Buckeye Texture" folder in your FSX "Addon/Texture folder" and start FSX. You can place the airplanes with the “Object Placement Tool” or with any object placement tool anywhere in FSX. If you start FSX and the program loads the scenery objects then you placed them right. If it does not load them then read again this. <<<DON’T FORGET TO ACTIVATE THE LIBRARIES >>>"

But what about the Model folder?

NC

ian elliot
April 12th, 2016, 11:33
Hi, you need to look for the BGL which will be in the library folder, thats what you need to place into your addon scenery-scenery folder, dont worry about the model :wavey:

cheers ian

roger-wilco-66
April 12th, 2016, 12:02
You need:

- The object model, which is in a BGL. This needs to reside in a \scenery\ folder.
- The textures of the model, which reside in a folder named \texture\

- You place the object model with a scenery placement tool in the scenery and compile this into a BGL. This BGL resides in the \scenery\ folder.

This will look like the following example (names are also just examples of course). I create a folder called test-scenery, and further two subfolders scenery and texture. Then I place the files like that:

----addon-scenery\test-scenery\scenery\t2cbuckeye.bgl <- library with the t2buckeye model
----addon-scenery\test-scenery\scenery\t2cbuckeye-OBX.bgl <- scenery object placement of the t2buckeye model

----addon-scenery\test-scenery\texture\t2cbuckeye-texture-01.dds <- all the texture files for the buckeye model
----addon-scenery\test-scenery\texture\t2cbuckeye-texture-02.dds ...

Note the necessity of the \scenery\ and \texture\ folders under the test-scenery folder. This structure and the names are mandatory (if you have no textures, this folder can be omitted)..

To answer your question about the model folder, there is none. The model (mdl) must be compiled into a bgl. The sim cannot read mdl files into the scenery - it needs the bgl format for that.

HTH,
Mark

DaveB
April 12th, 2016, 12:06
I just looked at this for a quick'n'dirty check so put the library files into Addon Scenery/Scenery and the single texture file into Addon Scenery/Texture. Mark's way is certainly tidier:biggrin-new:

NC.. note that you need to rescale the model to 0.036 (this is in the instructions) otherwise a single T2 will cover your airfield!!:very_drunk:

EDIT: Guy did include a model folder Mark and there's a .mdl inside but it isn't required;)
ATB
DaveB:)

Navy Chief
April 12th, 2016, 12:44
Thanks all. Worked:encouragement: Now I have some "Pregnant Guppies" to work on in the hangar at Pax River.....just like I did back in the mid-1970s! NC The only thing missing is the correct paint scheme. Getting Pax River paint schemes for static birds probably ain't gonna happen...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37052&stc=1

DaveB
April 12th, 2016, 13:21
The paint for Pax River can't be that different NC. What are you hoping to see? If it's not too complicated.. I'll have a go for you;)

ATB

Navy Chief
April 12th, 2016, 13:22
SLUFs in the hangar at Cecil....

One question I do have. The Corsair II that Guy Diotte created has two models:

1-A7 Corsair II US (Clean): Guid –{0D2E0BE8-CA3C-47CA-A36F-8A6B858D4E16}
2- A7 Corsair II US (Bombs, Tanks): Guid - {7F782D36-9711-4244-9DA7-3E6BF84C9B04}

But only the "Clean" model shows up with Instant Scenery. Not sure what I did wrong? NC

Update: Solved it!

Navy Chief
April 12th, 2016, 13:40
The paint for Pax River can't be that different NC. What are you hoping to see? If it's not too complicated.. I'll have a go for you;)

ATB

Thanks Dave!

The A-7s looked like this (this is a screenshot of the Razbam A-7E in Pax colors)
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37054&stc=1

And one of a T-2 from that timeframe:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37055&stc=1

The USNTPS logo on the tail of the T-2

Navy Chief
April 12th, 2016, 16:47
USNTPS symbol on T-2 tail...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37059&stc=1

DaveB
April 13th, 2016, 01:47
Okey doh Chief. That doesn't look far removed from how it's painted already so I'll give it a go. Do you want nose and fin numbers? Reason I ask is because they look a bit odd repeated (one number fits all) but I'm happy to add it of you wish;)

EDIT: Try this one mate.. T2USNTPS (http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/T2_pax.zip)
This one has fuse numbers.. it looked bare without. I tried to add a lot more detail than is on the original and it ended up biting me on the butt. A nice looking model but a little cow to paint!! The nose number is mapped to the centre of an orange rectangle. Move it to the back edge and it looks great on one side but to the fwd edge on the other. You get the idea:dizzy: Just don't look too close and you'll be fine!!

EDIT#2.. oh.. rename your original file and drop this one where the old one is.

ATB

Navy Chief
April 13th, 2016, 03:35
Okey doh Chief. That doesn't look far removed from how it's painted already so I'll give it a go. Do you want nose and fin numbers? Reason I ask is because they look a bit odd repeated (one number fits all) but I'm happy to add it of you wish;)

ATB

Hmm, gave that some thought. Yeah, don't worry 'bout any numbers. I'll just pretend they haven't been assigned yet.....:adoration: NC

For the most part, I want the static aircraft to place in hangars. My goal is to have AI aircraft on the flightlines, in various stages of flight ops, just like real life NAS's!

And THANKS!

DaveB
April 13th, 2016, 03:42
D'oh.. we crossed in the post!!. I can take the numbers off if you like:very_drunk:

ATB

DaveB
April 13th, 2016, 03:49
Here's one with no numbers Chief.. NOnumbers (http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/T2_pax_NN.zip)

ATB