PDA

View Full Version : Mount Victoria

Jerm
February 3rd, 2009, 18:33
Is there any way to get rid of that snow cap off that mountain just north of Port Moresby. Has anybody tried it. I was thinking about taking some texture files and just replacing the snow texture files by renaming them.

Jagdflieger
February 3rd, 2009, 18:38
Snow has been reported on the top of Mt. Victoria. The first colonial to climb the mountain reported it on the first recorded assent of the mountain. Of course I'm sure that CFS 2's snow cap is in extremis.

Pen32Win
February 3rd, 2009, 18:56
From Google Earth it looks like a lot of bare dirt in the area but Mt. Victoria is right under a cloud bank.

What do you want it to look like?

Jagdflieger
February 3rd, 2009, 19:04
The peak is above timberline, so I guess lichen and low shrubs would be the goal.

Pen32Win
February 3rd, 2009, 19:11
The current Lanclass that is around the LC-122 Ice is 042 Cold Grass and 033 Rain Green Tropical Forest. A little 043 Savanna Woods and some 036 Mangrove lower down. Maybe mix those in with 131 which is the brown rock texture set 131h2su1-7 and 131b2su1-7...

Shadow Wolf 07
February 3rd, 2009, 19:33
Google Earth may show it bare now, but it is mid-summer there, A lot depends on the elevation - there is permafrost on some Hawaiian peaks
Aw, leave the snow there... Yetis need love too :rapture:

Pen32Win
February 3rd, 2009, 19:50
How about this?

Pen32Win
February 3rd, 2009, 20:16
Here's a bgl to change it. If you just want it solid green let me know. It's easy to change. Just delete the .txt and drop it in your AF Papua New Guinea\scenery folder. Or you could put it in its own Scenery Folder and turn it on and off with the seasons.....

Jagdflieger
February 3rd, 2009, 21:27
It's a huge improvement.

Stirlitz
February 3rd, 2009, 22:40
It's a huge improvement.

It is indeed. Below are two shots of the real thing.
You can find more photos at:
http://kompletekokoda.com.au/gallery/1579/Mount_Victoria_Gallery.html

On the other hand Puncak Jaya (over 4800 m) in western New Guinea has glaciers on its slopes, so as Jagdflieger ponted out, the idea of snow on top of Mount Victoria (4072 m) is not as far-feteched as it may seem ;)

Ravenna
February 4th, 2009, 01:27
I have it on good authority from a long time Moresby resident who travelled extensively in the area: there was no snow on Mt. Victoria during WW2.

Pen32Win
February 4th, 2009, 07:48
I was worried about getting too much of the brown rock in there. From those two shots it looks like I could stand to add some more...

bearcat241
February 4th, 2009, 08:31
I was worried about getting too much of the brown rock in there. From those two shots it looks like I could stand to add some more...

Good point...i didn't want to be the one to mention that. I was trying to get my head around your technique in order to edit that mod into your attachment. I'll just stand down and let you have at it again. :wave:

Pen32Win
February 4th, 2009, 09:29
BC;

No problem, I like feedback either way. If it needs some adjusting, it needs some adjusting. All I had to go on last night was Google Earth and there's a huge cloud bank over Mt. Vic.

It's an easy fix in EZ-Landclass as long as I keep it to LOD13 Blocks. I shouldn't have to get down to LOD5 detail here.

To edit the bgl you'd need the RAW data. An EZ-Landclass project produces and uses four files when creating a BGL. The RAW data is one of them. The BGL itself is the forth.

I'll work on it some more tonight after I get home. Now that I have those pictures I can do a more realistic recreation of it. I'm going to target everything above the yellow line to be solid Brown Rock and blend it downward from that point. I think I may try to throw in a ring of grass/shrubs between it and the treeline too.

Jerm
February 4th, 2009, 11:59
Here's a bgl to change it. If you just want it solid green let me know. It's easy to change. Just delete the .txt and drop it in your AF Papua New Guinea\scenery folder. Or you could put it in its own Scenery Folder and turn it on and off with the seasons.....
hey:wave:

first off thanks for doing this but I don't seem to understand what you mean by "just delete the .txt".

thanks

jeremy

Pen32Win
February 4th, 2009, 12:52
No Problem Jerm;

Another little piece of realism for our Sim. Glad to do it.

OK, Delete the ".txt"..... Download the file I posted. Change "1_MtVic_LC_Chng.bgl.txt" to "1_MtVic_LC_Chng.bgl" you just delete the extra file extension which is the ".txt" part.

Blue Devil
February 4th, 2009, 14:24
Or...

...You can swap the 001hnxxn texture series w/ a set of the 011hnxxn series re-named.

instant grassy knoll...

Jerm
February 4th, 2009, 14:51
im getting an error message

seek error
scenedb\af papua new guinea\scenery\1_mtvic_lc_chng.BGL

first i dodn't understand when you said delete the text file. the file i downloaded didn't have the "txt" at the end so i just stuck it in. didn't work

so then i just copied one of the "bgl" files in the scenery db folder and transfer all the stuff from your file to teh new one and i renamed it and i got the error message.

filelist.dat error, fiel in list but not on remote scenedb\af papua new guinea\scenery\1_mtvic_lc_chng.

think i might just roll with the snow cap for now.............

Pen32Win
February 4th, 2009, 15:13
You have the "Hide extensions for known file types" option turned on.... Open Any folder, go to Tools > Folder Options > View Tab

Make sure that this option is turned off, no check in the box, then apply it to all folders.... Then you'll see the whole filename and it's extension.

Don't delete the file, the file extension.

You can't post a .bgl here in the forum so you have to add an extra ".txt" to the file name. Once you D/L it you remove the extra portion of the file name.

Pen32Win
February 4th, 2009, 15:38
This is where I'm at with it now. I've got to go to a meeting so I'll check back for input when I return to finish it up.

Jerm
February 4th, 2009, 16:22
got it to work. thanks!

goes to show ya that you may not be as computer savy as you think ya are.

Blue Devil
February 4th, 2009, 16:56
The Pactex v.2 version of the 011hnxxn series looks good too...

bearcat241
February 4th, 2009, 17:40
That's not it BD...you need lots more brown rock and barren ground up there. :gossip:

Blue Devil
February 4th, 2009, 17:55
That's not it BD...you need lots more brown rock and barren bround up there. :gossip:

This is the Pactex v.1 056bnxxn series...

Pen32Win
February 4th, 2009, 19:00
That looks good BD,

The only reason I don't like that method is that every other place in the world that the Snow/Ice Landclass is called for will now be rock. But that's the cool thing about our little sim, your can mod it to your personal tastes and priorities.

OK, here's what I've got. The Mountain top is broken down into 4 layers. At the top you have barren rock, below that you have a boundary layer of brown sediment from erosion. Next is a layer is highland cold grasses and then into the native tropical textures. I can expand it or contract it with ease.

bearcat241
February 4th, 2009, 20:31
Much closer Pen...not to speak for others, but i can live with it. I also agree with your comments on BD's second take. While i like the look BD, i share Pen's concern about the method - been there done that too.

Fly on fellas...

Pen32Win
February 4th, 2009, 21:03
OK Gents;

Consider this a work in progress. If you've got any ideas to make it better I'm all ears. Try it out. If you think it's good to go I'll upload it into the D/L's Section.

This is a new file, just let it overwrite the old one.

Blue Devil
February 4th, 2009, 21:43
Then...

...swapped 066hnxxn series (which seems to be the next elevation level down from the snow-cap level) to Pactex v.1 011hnxxn series.

...doesn't effect the lower EL's, ...like Tsili Tsili, ...or the lower valleys.

As for method, ...I'm a Mechanic, ...not a designer.

Note: This is a PTO '43 install, ...not a lot of snow in it. And a winter texture series would be different anyway...

Looking forward to the finished product PW, ...looks good.

bearcat241
February 5th, 2009, 06:20
Thanks for the file Pen...although you called this a WIP, like i said, i'm comfy with your progress thus far. The first pic is with Stiz's textures for dry rocky areas. Just for experimentation, i replaced them with the same files from Pactex for the second pic.

I like the texture detail of the first, but the second seems closer in color to Stirlitz's reality photo posted earlier.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/bearcat241/Demo%20shots/0030.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/bearcat241/Demo%20shots/0031.jpg

Stirlitz
February 5th, 2009, 06:29
I couldn't agree more. Pactex seems a better choice. BTW Another excellent piece of work, Pen32Win. Many thanks!:applause:

Blue Devil
February 5th, 2009, 09:04
Found this...

Mount Albert Edward, Papua New Guinea

Description (peakware.com)

The only site on the Owen Stanley Range that can see both Port Moresby and Lae. Surveyed in 1953 by DCA as a repeater site to link these centers. Not possible until solar power evolved.
Walk is several days from Woitape (5500') and rises through jungle, then open forest, moss forest, open grassland and finally mountain heath. near the summit several cirque lakes can be seen. Water about 4C. Temp varies from -10 to +15C. Guide or GPS required.

Blue Devil
February 5th, 2009, 09:22
...and these from:

gallery.orchidspng.com

Rami
February 5th, 2009, 11:52
You guys are all doing some outstanding work! Yet another glowing example of the "CFS2 community" at work. :ernae:

I really gotta catch up on my CFS2! :faint:

Blue Devil
February 5th, 2009, 14:14
Hey BC, ...

How do ya get those nice big bmp's to post?

PS. The up side to swappin' out the 066 series is that it creates a treeline at ~ 8-10,000 ft. (a little low for New Guinea, ...which is ~ 13,000, ...but not bad, ...and now it has one.)

bearcat241
February 5th, 2009, 14:35
Photobucket.com...:wavey: