PDA

View Full Version : Milviz Phantom navigation lights

Navy Chief
April 7th, 2016, 16:44
Has anyone reported problems with the navigation lights? The starboard light is lit, nothing from the port side. The landing light works, but that's all. Also, the tail light is on the ground behind the aircraft......NC

ZsoltB
April 7th, 2016, 21:48
Has anyone reported problems with the navigation lights? The starboard light is lit, nothing from the port side. The landing light works, but that's all. Also, the tail light is on the ground behind the aircraft......NC

J/S or E?

Zsolt

DaveB
April 8th, 2016, 00:08
I queried that I only have one red on the port wing and 2 greens on the stbd.. Colin said that was correct.. this on the J. I'm used to seeing 2 reds on the Iris model. Maybe Iris got it wrong or the FG1 actually did have 2 reds. Don't think I've tried the landing lights.

ATB
DaveB:)

Navy Chief
April 8th, 2016, 05:17
J/S or E?

Zsolt

F-4J

And I don't see any light on port wing tip. NC

DaveB
April 8th, 2016, 06:23
NC..

No.. I don't either and am curious as to why Colin thinks this is correct. Deep somewhere in the manual probably lurks an explanation!!

I've searched the web this very morning looking at F-4J shots and those with identifiable lights showing have the fwd lights on only.. not the rears. The Milviz model defaults to the rears. I'm not convinced this is correct but without actual proof.. I don't want to say anything over there.

Re my comment above having one red on the port side and two greens on the left.. I loaded the J up and did a flight before checking here on the forum and this time, I had 1 red and one green either side. Not sure if I clicked (or didn't click) anything different this time:dizzy:

EDIT: Found this info relating specifically to the FG1/K so may not be 100% for the J..

This information comes from the Aircrew Manual of a British FG 1. It is possible that there are some differencies between FG 1 and F-4J. There are quite many lights on the Phantom not just the navigation lights. Here is some information:

Navigation lights:
-red light on port wingtip, visible from front to 110 degrees to the side
-green light on starboard wingtip, visible from front to 110 degrees to the side
-white light on the fin just above rudder or on drag chute door, visible from a sector of 140 degrees
These lights are steady (they won't flash) but the pilot can dim them.

Join-up Lights:
-red light on port wing tip, visible from back
-green light on starboard wingtip, visible from back
These lights are also steady and pilot can dim them.

Fuselage Lights:
-one white light under each air inlet duct
-one white light over the number 2 cell
Pilot can choose either these lights are steady or flashing and he can dim them.

Anti-Collision Light:
-one red light in the fin leading edge
This light flashes if Fuselage Lights are bright and flashing.

Then there is Landing Light, Taxi Light and possibly a light for aerial refuelling.

EOEdit.
ATB

pfflyers
April 8th, 2016, 08:09
I have a PDF of the NATOPS F-4B manual and it seems to have the same exterior lighting as in Dave's description.

Both position and join-up lights are on the same switch, so you should see both when wing lights are on.

The tail light is controlled seperately from the wing lights.

Interesting (to me) is that the anti-collision light can not be independently controlled, it only comes on when the fuselage lights are on bright setting.

DaveB
April 8th, 2016, 08:41
Yeah.. that does seem odd but reading the FG1 'Lighting' section again and again.. that's how it operates.

I'm sure there's something amiss with the MV F-4J's lighting code as when you load the aircraft.. all exterior lights are off. Make the Steady/Flash light to steady and only the aft red/green wing lights come on. Make the Wing light and the fwd green comes on. Make all light switches to off and the fwd green remains on. Shomething wong me thinks:dizzy:

Off to see if I can find a lighting master switch to the left of the throttles on the J.

EDIT: If there IS a master external lighting switch on the LH side of the throttles.. it's in a position out of my eyesight.. even with the throttles advanced. The Natops manual supplied with the F-4J also has the lighting section and they work as per the F-4B and FG1/FGR2. The Steady/Flash switch should only control the fuse and tail lights but the wing lights flash (those it has) too on this model. Oo-er!!!
ATB

DaveB
April 8th, 2016, 11:27
NC (et-al)..

I've reported the lights issue over at Milviz. If you don't hear from me again.. you'll know it didn't go down well!!:biggrin-new:

ATB

Navy Chief
April 8th, 2016, 13:39
Ok, here is a screenshot of what I see. F-4J model. All exterior lights on (except Probe, which does work). There is no port wing tip light on. Starboard wing tip, yes. And taxi, and two lights on the tail. All lights are set to bright. The taxi light does not seem that bright, however. NC

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36865&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36866&stc=1

DaveB
April 8th, 2016, 14:26
NC..

You can see there's no port fwd light in the 892Sqn shots I posted. I've looked at the model in MCX (the lights are modelled.. not effects) and there isn't a port fwd.

TBH.. the wing lights (that are there) are far too big anyway. You shouldn't really see the rear wing lights (especially on dim).. try finding a shot of one visible online. The anti collision light on the LE fin is equally oversize. Damned shame that on a $60 model.. so little attention is paid to lights. Milviz are not alone though.. far from it.

ATB

Navy Chief
April 8th, 2016, 14:50
NC..

You can see there's no port fwd light in the 892Sqn shots I posted. I've looked at the model in MCX (the lights are modelled.. not effects) and there isn't a port fwd.

TBH.. the wing lights (that are there) are far too big anyway. You shouldn't really see the rear wing lights (especially on dim).. try finding a shot of one visible online. The anti collision light on the LE fin is equally oversize. Damned shame that on a $60 model.. so little attention is paid to lights. Milviz are not alone though.. far from it.

ATB

Thanks Dave.

Am guessing if I wanted to modify the lights to my liking, using Shockwave Lights, except I've never done that; only installed the .cfg entries that someone else had created! NC

DaveB
April 8th, 2016, 15:06
Shockwave lights would definitely look better.. especially for the trailing edge. I'm not sure how you'd get rid of the modelled effect though. The panel.cfg gives little away:dizzy: Pity it's not a normal effect attached to the model.. they could be changed with a hex editor then but looking at attached effects in MCX only shows the landing light, afterburner and engine.. no nav's:(

ATB

Navy Chief
April 8th, 2016, 16:01
Interesting how this screenshot from a website ad about the Milviz Phantom, shows lights all over the aircraft, clearly! NC :dizzy:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36870&stc=1

and one from real life, but not sure of model

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36872&stc=1

Sundog
April 8th, 2016, 16:30
The real life variant in your picture is the F-4EJ.

DaveB
April 9th, 2016, 00:08
Interesting that even on that poorly exposed dusk shot which over-emphasises the lights, you can't see the rear formation lights. You can add the slime using shift+1 from within the sim NC :)

ATB

Motormouse
April 9th, 2016, 02:11
NC..

No.. I don't either and am curious as to why Colin thinks this is correct. Deep somewhere in the manual probably lurks an explanation!!

I've searched the web this very morning looking at F-4J shots and those with identifiable lights showing have the fwd lights on only.. not the rears. The Milviz model defaults to the rears. I'm not convinced this is correct but without actual proof.. I don't want to say anything over there.

Re my comment above having one red on the port side and two greens on the left.. I loaded the J up and did a flight before checking here on the forum and this time, I had 1 red and one green either side. Not sure if I clicked (or didn't click) anything different this time:dizzy:

EDIT: Found this info relating specifically to the FG1/K so may not be 100% for the J..

This information comes from the Aircrew Manual of a British FG 1. It is possible that there are some differencies between FG 1 and F-4J. There are quite many lights on the Phantom not just the navigation lights. Here is some information:

Navigation lights:
-red light on port wingtip, visible from front to 110 degrees to the side
-green light on starboard wingtip, visible from front to 110 degrees to the side
-white light on the fin just above rudder or on drag chute door, visible from a sector of 140 degrees
These lights are steady (they won't flash) but the pilot can dim them.

Join-up Lights:
-red light on port wing tip, visible from back
-green light on starboard wingtip, visible from back
These lights are also steady and pilot can dim them.

Fuselage Lights:
-one white light under each air inlet duct
-one white light over the number 2 cell
Pilot can choose either these lights are steady or flashing and he can dim them.

Anti-Collision Light:
-one red light in the fin leading edge
This light flashes if Fuselage Lights are bright and flashing.

Then there is Landing Light, Taxi Light and possibly a light for aerial refuelling.

EOEdit.
ATB

Iirc, the J lights could be selected by position. Ie left if formating left, or right if formating right.
Although I only ever worked on one of the J (UK) serials, most of my time working F4's was FGR2.

And the refuelling probe light was on right side of fwd fuselage, just about where pilot's knees would be.

Ttfn

Pete

(Phormer Phantom Phixer)

DaveB
April 9th, 2016, 13:15
Iirc, the J lights could be selected by position. Ie left if formating left, or right if formating right.
Although I only ever worked on one of the J (UK) serials, most of my time working F4's was FGR2.

And the refuelling probe light was on right side of fwd fuselage, just about where pilot's knees would be.

Ttfn

Pete

(Phormer Phantom Phixer)
Thanks for that Pete. Thing with the model is that there isn't a nav light on the port wing, only the formation light. There's no left/right control for the formation lights on the J lighting panel either (and the J Natops is included). I'm sure it'll come good eventually;)
Atb

DaveB
April 9th, 2016, 15:30
NC (et-al)..

Milviz have acknowledged the light problem and will incorporate a fix in the next update;)

Pete.. can you remember which switch selects either right or left formation lights? Does this mean you can have the formation lights off too (on the J that is)?
ATB

Motormouse
April 10th, 2016, 04:27
NC (et-al)..

Milviz have acknowledged the light problem and will incorporate a fix in the next update;)

Pete.. can you remember which switch selects either right or left formation lights? Does this mean you can have the formation lights off too (on the J that is)?
ATB

Here you go if this works all is explained

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=oeJuJtjK4k0C&pg=SA1-PA112&lpg=SA1-PA112&dq=f4+phantom+exterior+lights+control+panel&source=bl&ots=N_djqpjlOS&sig=jj_HvKiemn1yUqFswKbdZs6M24o&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_6tOQh4TMAhUHRhQKHebJDYQQ6AEIHzAA

I'll do a bit more digging when I get home from work, as the slime lights were added by mod,which if memory serves me right also added the left/ right switchable option.

Ttfn

Pete

Navy Chief
April 10th, 2016, 05:04
Dave,

I am not at my computer presently, but I believe the switch just says "Wing tip" and doesn't allow for selection of individual sides. Could be wrong tho. Thanks for reply, Pete. Am unable to see the page you linked to, unfortunately. NC

DaveB
April 10th, 2016, 12:40
Hiya NC:wavey:

I picked this up earlier but on the mobile so didn't reply. Agree on the switches. You get BRT, DIM or OFF.. no other option. I couldn't read Pete's link on the mobile.. it said I'd viewed it too many times:dizzy:

I've looked at a few screenies of the interim J model (the one that came as a freebie with the E) and it has a working port position light so I guess a 'fix' somewhere along the line to the full J busted it. They'll get it sorted;) I'm not really fussed about being able to select right or left formation lights.. I'd sooner not see them but it would be a 'nice to have' option.
ATB

Navy Chief
September 27th, 2018, 12:25
I am having this problem AGAIN. I turn all the exterior lights on, go to outside view, and the only visible light is the landing light. When I hit the "L" key, the lights momentarily flicker, but do not stay on. If I hold the "L" key, sometimes fire momentarily comes from exhaust area.:dizzy:

Any help here at all? Thanks, NC

MrZippy
September 27th, 2018, 12:37
I am having this problem AGAIN. I turn all the exterior lights on, go to outside view, and the only visible light is the landing light. When I hit the "L" key, the lights momentarily flicker, but do not stay on. If I hold the "L" key, sometimes fire momentarily comes from exhaust area.:dizzy:

Post the [lights] section of the aircraft.cfg. Developers love to hide random flames for A/B in there.

Navy Chief
September 27th, 2018, 12:42
Post the [lights] section of the aircraft.cfg. Developers love to hide random flames for A/B in there.

[lights]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
//light.0 = 1, 0.0, 0.0, 0, fx_Milviz_Estart_2,
light.0 = 10, -11, -3, -3, fx_engsmoke2,
light.1 = 10, 6, -3, -2, fx_engsmoke,
light.2 = 1, -11, 3, -3, fx_engsmoke2,
light.3 = 1, 6, 3, -2, fx_engsmoke,
light.4 = 4, -8.11, 0.0, 0.0, fx_ForestFireMedium
light.5 = 4, -2.11, 0.0, 0.0, fx_ForestFireMedium

MrZippy
September 27th, 2018, 13:22
[lights]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
//light.0 = 1, 0.0, 0.0, 0, fx_Milviz_Estart_2,
light.0 = 10, -11, -3, -3, fx_engsmoke2,
light.1 = 10, 6, -3, -2, fx_engsmoke,
light.2 = 1, -11, 3, -3, fx_engsmoke2,
light.3 = 1, 6, 3, -2, fx_engsmoke,
light.4 = 4, -8.11, 0.0, 0.0, fx_ForestFireMedium
light.5 = 4, -2.11, 0.0, 0.0, fx_ForestFireMedium

Engine smoke for lights? ForestFire lights? I wonder if they are putting the actual lights into the model and using the [lights] section for engine smoke and forest fires???? I'd hate to think what happens if you hit the I key?

Seahawk72s
September 27th, 2018, 16:49

I've run into this situation where the light switches are specially hard coded to particular lights and the code is not the default code FSX uses.
By pressing "L" you are "short circuiting" the built in code. With the Landing light you got lucky with the codes matching. I have a special light switch
pop-up that has all 10 aircraft.cfg defined light types. I like to add this to panels and have bumped into this "wall" before watching my switches go on
and then off when pressing "L".

Navy Chief
December 22nd, 2018, 13:28
I've run into this situation where the light switches are specially hard coded to particular lights and the code is not the default code FSX uses.
By pressing "L" you are "short circuiting" the built in code. With the Landing light you got lucky with the codes matching. I have a special light switch
pop-up that has all 10 aircraft.cfg defined light types. I like to add this to panels and have bumped into this "wall" before watching my switches go on
and then off when pressing "L".

I am revisiting this topic. I still have the problem of lights not working. As you can see, I have the lights selected on the console panels. Only light that shows lit is the taxi light. If I press the "L" key, the lights all flash momentarily, and go off. Still no fix for this, as I have been able to discern.

Any help here? Seahawk, would your "special light switch" pop-up work for this? NC

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65911&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65912&stc=1

Navy Chief
December 22nd, 2018, 13:43
The plot thickens.

When I posted the previous post, I had forgotten that initially I had reported the lighting problem for FSX. NOW, I have the Milviz Phantom installed in FSX SE AND in P3DV4.4. The pictures in my previous post are in P3D. The following screenshot is in FSX SE. Notice the curious light a few feet in front of the aircraft nose.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65913&stc=1

PhantomTweak
December 22nd, 2018, 22:22
When I posted the previous post, I had forgotten that initially I had reported the lighting problem for FSX. NOW, I have the Milviz Phantom installed in FSX SE AND in P3DV4.4. The pictures in my previous post are in P3D. The following screenshot is in FSX SE. Notice the curious light a few feet in front of the aircraft nose.

Is that light still in-place, relative to the aircraft, when it's up in the air? Or could it be an artifact of the runway? Just checking...

Is it possible for you to post the [Lights] section of the aircraft.cfg? Maybe the lights are hidden in the fuselage?

Just trying to think of possibilities...
Pat☺

Tool
December 23rd, 2018, 09:36
Using the L key doesn't work. I had to assign a joystick button in MVAMS for "Exterior Lights Master". I then had to turn on the lights in the cockpit. Then, I can control them from my Joystick.

Navy Chief
December 23rd, 2018, 11:46
Using the L key doesn't work. I had to assign a joystick button in MVAMS for "Exterior Lights Master". I then had to turn on the lights in the cockpit. Then, I can control them from my Joystick.

That worked, THANKS! NC:encouragement:

Tool
December 23rd, 2018, 16:30
Glad it worked for you brother!

Naruto-kun
December 24th, 2018, 22:24
@Navy Chief one request please :)

When you go to the Milviz forum, by all means read it searching for solutions. But if you don't find one, please, pleeeeease post a request. I will acknowledge posts do occasionally get overlooked but we do our best to answer all.