PDA

View Full Version : Big FSX Problem

RyanJZ
April 6th, 2016, 15:36
I am having the worst problem with FSX I have ever had. It started giving me a fatal error on startup, which has happened before. Normally, I've just deleted the logbook.bin or done a complete reinstall. This time, I tried deleting the fsx.cfg. Didn't work, then I tried deleting the logbook.bin. Didn't work. Then I unistalled SP2, and used the repair function on the disc. Didn't work. Now I have completely uninstalled FSX, and when I run the disc to install, I get an error 1628!!! UGH!!! :banghead: So aggravating! Does anyone know a way to fix this???? I'm running this on Windows 10 64-bit by the way

Lane Street
April 6th, 2016, 16:36
Lots of info out there- https://www.google.com/search?q=fsx+error+1628&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

cheers,
Lane

RyanJZ
April 6th, 2016, 18:45
not really helping. I've already googled this. I renamed the the installshield folder, didn't work. Now I'm trying to update the install drivers, and they either say its needs to be "elevated" or I need to contact the system admin. No idea how to do that on windows 10..
Edit: just found the account section, I'm already set up as an admin. What the heck is going on with my system???

Jafo
April 6th, 2016, 18:47
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910816

Worth a look...;)

Jafo
April 6th, 2016, 18:49
not really helping. I've already googled this. I renamed the the installshield folder, didn't work. Now I'm trying to update the install drivers, and they either say its needs to be "elevated" or I need to contact the system admin. No idea how to do that on windows 10..
Should be a case of right-click and 'install with admin privileges' ..;)

RyanJZ
April 6th, 2016, 18:55
Tried running the .exe file as admin. Still no success...

airtj
April 6th, 2016, 19:42
Have you tried creating a new window user account, or put the computer in safe mode and try installing the flight sim. To put the computer into safe mode, click the windows button and in the search area type in msconfig and then go to the boot section click safe boot with networking.

RyanJZ
April 7th, 2016, 04:32
tried running the disc with windows in safe mode. got error 1607 this time. can't figure out how to add a new user to my computer
Never mind. Figured it out

awstub
April 7th, 2016, 05:05
Sometimes deleting your Logbook.BIN file will get FSX working again.

RyanJZ
April 7th, 2016, 05:58
Deleting the logbook didn't work this time. I finally just set up a new user account on my computer, and it installed without a hitch. Would love to know what happened to cause all this though.... I have never had this problem this bad before

RyanJZ
April 7th, 2016, 06:11
Now it won't let me register. it says the server is busy and I could do it later. So I clicked the later option. Now I can't find how to get back to where I can register it! Help!!!!

jim
April 7th, 2016, 06:16
Try running Task Manager to find out what is running. If something is running you have to "get rid of it" before you can install FSX again. That's the problem I had & it's enough to make a person cry. Good Luck!

RyanJZ
April 7th, 2016, 06:18
what should I be looking for in Task Manager?

jim
April 7th, 2016, 09:43
Check to see if any files from FSX are running or open. If they're are open then you can't completely remove FSX from your system.

RyanJZ
April 7th, 2016, 10:39
Finally got it all sorted out. Still, anyone know what could of caused this and how I could prevent it in the future? After this, I'm really considering FSX:SE or P3D now

WarHorse47
April 7th, 2016, 10:59
Really hard to say on how to prevent this from reoccurring without knowing the cause.

I've been following this thread and I'm surprised nobody mentioned looking at the event viewer to identify what might have caused the problem in the first place. I've had instances with addon scenery or modules that can generate fatal errors.

And there was no discussion as to what changes might have been made to your system or software that might have caused a conflict with FSX. In that case you might have been able to perform a system restore back to a point where FSX was working.

Glad you got it sorted out. I'd be curious to know if you find anything else as to what might have caused it in the first place.

RyanJZ
April 7th, 2016, 11:50
Well, it was weird. I haven't made any changes to FSX in a while. LAst night I was setting up a flight, using an addon plane (freeware Be-103) using MSE Loos Angeles and San Diego. When I tried to change the time, it would crash. I could restart the sim, but it would keep crashing when I tried to change the time. Finally, it wouldn't even start anymore

BendyFlyer
April 8th, 2016, 02:41
Ryan JZ, had similar problems but for different reasons. Here are few humble thoughts and perhaps tips.

First, I guess there is the issue of updates by MS, they are not necessarily retrospective and so sometimes (a lot) cause problems with FSX (By MS terms this is a legacy program).

Second, when you uninstall the MS uninstall does not remove everything and leaves stuff in the registry and elsewhere (DX for example) so if you have corrupted files (and for some reason there are a lot of files in FSX that do seem to get corrupted easily and will cause fatal errors). Corrupted scenery and texture files are the worst.

Three, security permissions and UAC play havoc with FSX and various addons from time to time, again it is the legacy programming issue.

Four, MS has a lot of stuff happening on your PC all the time without you knowing it because they have the great idea we all want everything updated regularly and or you the user don't need to know about that stuff, unless of course you happen to want to run FSX, FSX is a CPU hog especially when it is starting and calling up all the files that it needs to work (and there are huge number of them).

My solution arose from a hardware bios error and corruption which could not be resolved by any other method than a complete erasure and cleaning of the HD and reinstalling Windows and FSX. Because I keep all my scenery in a separate folder outside of FSX this is not such a calamity and I have all my FSX stuff backed up. What I discovered was this:

Half the so called tweaks about are worthless or not worth doing because of the variety of hardware systems about. FSX install does a pretty good job of setting the PC parameters that are best for stock standard video cards etc and only minor tweaks then seem really necessary.

A complete clean HD drive install is worth the pain of doing it. You will be amazed at how much disk space you get back and how much clutter resides on the average PC over time.

I let FSX place itself where MS originally intended and it works just fine on my underpowered system, without any problems.
You will need to reset all the permissions in FSX that is the whole MS Games directory to clear out hidden and read only attribute issues, I don't know why but doing this was nearly magical and resolved a whole lot of previous conflicts.

You have to make sure that there are not other programs running in the background you don't need or want (Updaters etc.) so MS Task Manager is your friend.

If your having performance or load time issues with FSX you can be sure something else is running on your PC in the background and using the CPU (The worst culprit is actually Microsoft stuff, reporting and updating scripts they can actually bring FSX to its knees). I am still thinking about the MS update and patches issues at last count there are a thousand such so called fixes and patches awaiting my attention.

I set the FPS to 24 and keep it there, 22 FPS is all the eye can cope with but I do set the maximum texture load for HD of 4096 in FSX.cfg, I get no stutters in turns and no tears (texture loading delays). I use the ORBX recommended settings for scenery traffic weather etc and agree with their views that these are the settings that for various reasons FSX copes best with, as I do very little city or built up area flying I dont miss the busyness of traffic etc.

Finally I am running FSX on a HP machine with only 4GB or RAM and 4 GHz speed with a 500 GB HD with a bog standard Intel Video driver. It works just fine now!

Jafo
April 8th, 2016, 05:02
OK.
Simple answer is the OS. Windows 10 is a dog.
It is a public Beta where everyone who is not a fat-cat corporation is an idiot guinea-pig exposed to FORCED updates which are GUARANTEED to trash an OS sooner or later.
Thankyou, Redmond. Just remember the people who lost their gonads with the monumental stuff-ups that were Windows 8 and its imbecile progeny 8.1

As much as is humanly possible, avoid 10 until such time as you are able to PAY for it when it actually works.

Testing a fire-arm's performance via a game of Russian Roulette only ends one way.

Put 'politely', most errors perpetrated upon users of Win 10 are thanks to an animal called 'Windows Update'. It's as simple as that...;)

mikewmac
April 8th, 2016, 06:04
OK.
It is a public Beta where everyone who is not a fat-cat corporation is an idiot guinea-pig exposed to FORCED updates which are GUARANTEED to trash an OS sooner or later.
Thankyou, Redmond. Just remember the people who lost their gonads with the monumental stuff-ups that were Windows 8 and its imbecile progeny 8.1

As much as is humanly possible, avoid 10 until such time as you are able to PAY for it when it actually works.

Testing a fire-arm's performance via a game of Russian Roulette only ends one way.

Put 'politely', most errors perpetrated upon users of Win 10 are thanks to an animal called 'Windows Update'. It's as simple as that...;)
Amen! :ernaehrung004:

RyanJZ
April 8th, 2016, 08:28
OK.

So true... Windows updates at the most inconvenient times also sometimes. Windows 7 was my favorite. That's what I had on my old laptop, but it died, and I couldn't find anything that wasn't windows 10 :/

RyanJZ
April 9th, 2016, 05:54
Well now I have a new problem. And yes, I tried using run as admin. Now, FSX won't start and I get "Error ID = 25 (null)"
Anyone dealt with this before?

RyanJZ
April 9th, 2016, 06:00
Never mind. Somehow my desktop icon got messed up

Naismith
April 9th, 2016, 12:04
So true... Windows updates at the most inconvenient times also sometimes. Windows 7 was my favorite. That's what I had on my old laptop, but it died, and I couldn't find anything that wasn't windows 10 :/

Great (ok small) leap forward with this W10 update https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ICsZtrg434
In time it will begin to look like W7 again :biggrin-new: