PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 + FSX

DaveKDEN
April 5th, 2016, 14:59
Please don't flame me if this topic has already been discussed in depth - I did some searches before posting.

I'm interested in upgrading my Windows 7 system to Windows 10 (not doing a clean install). I upgraded my Wife's Dell all-in-one from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and it's acting like a new machine.

So... is there a guide for upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 with an existing FSX installation? I simply have too many aftermarket FSX add-ons on my current system to do a fresh FSX install from scratch after upgrading. I'm curious if anyone's done an upgrade of an existing system, and if there were any improvements for FSX? Conversely, if anyone's upgraded and it causes FSX to crash, or has worse overall performance? Overall, my Windows 7 system still runs decently, however it's definitely showing it's age. FSX takes an excessively long time to start-up, and it has performance issues when running.

Honestly, I should just buy a new system, however I'm just not in the right place right now to buy a new hot rod computer system.

strykerpsg
April 5th, 2016, 15:18
Please don't flame me if this topic has already been discussed in depth - I did some searches before posting.

I'm interested in upgrading my Windows 7 system to Windows 10 (not doing a clean install). I upgraded my Wife's Dell all-in-one from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and it's acting like a new machine.

So... is there a guide for upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 with an existing FSX installation? I simply have too many aftermarket FSX add-ons on my current system to do a fresh FSX install from scratch after upgrading. I'm curious if anyone's done an upgrade of an existing system, and if there were any improvements for FSX? Conversely, if anyone's upgraded and it causes FSX to crash, or has worse overall performance? Overall, my Windows 7 system still runs decently, however it's definitely showing it's age. FSX takes an excessively long time to start-up, and it has performance issues when running.

Honestly, I should just buy a new system, however I'm just not in the right place right now to buy a new hot rod computer system.

I did the upgrade on my last system (Not a clean install either) and there were absolutely NO hiccups involving FSX or any of the multitude of games/software installed. The OS was backwards compatible, as have been the previous OS's and the transition was seamless. I am reinstalling on a new system, but it already came with Win10. However, others mileage may vary.

GunnyG
April 5th, 2016, 15:56
I did the upgrade on my last system (Not a clean install either) and there were absolutely NO hiccups involving FSX or any of the multitude of games/software installed. The OS was backwards compatible, as have been the previous OS's and the transition was seamless. I am reinstalling on a new system, but it already came with Win10. However, others mileage may vary.

I upgraded the Win 7 Home edition on my desktop ( and really, it's a second hand machine I bought at RePC) to Win 10, and while I did experience a few small problems, it was nothing that I couldn't resolve and discuss here : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?97030-Windows-10&p=993979#post993979

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/n31.0-8/12309918_10206498707481053_4062308943563497569_o.j pg

napacon
April 5th, 2016, 17:03
Today my FSX and FSXSE set ups are working very well,along with my FS9..All with years of accumulations..All bringing great joy...Its that reason I have hesitated to change anything...None of that To Boldly go Stuff for me .....Were it not for our Gaming ,of which is now 10 yrs and more old, with old tech ,I would move on with the evolutions.as I have on my lap tops.However ,for Me, IF IT AN'T BROKE DO NOT FIX IT..Thnx Guys

manfredc3
April 5th, 2016, 19:32
Well, after having transitioned my laptop from Windows 7 standard to Windows 10 shortly after release and going through the roller coaster of issues and service packs, I ended up doing a clean install last December.

The laptop is for daily use, and test rig before I even would think of upgrading my windows 7 pro FSX pc. Two months later I felt the time was right to upgrade the FSX oc to Windows 10.

As I had not done a clean install on that one for almost 3 years, (which I usually do once a year, from a backup image), and seeing some issues creep up while flying, I decided to do a fully clean install.

FSX was running on a dedicated HDD, and the add-ons on a 3rd drive, making it easier to get most add-on's working on a clean install.
Oh, And I did make a copy of the full FSX directory.

Since beginning March I have FSX, and now also FSX-SE, running nicely on Windows 10.

All I can say is that if FSX is running fine on your W7 setup, then don't mess with it, but if you have the idea of upgrading to W10, consider the
"clean" route, as certain fsx issues on your current setup may not be resolved by upgrading to W10.

Good luck making this tough decision.

DaveKDEN
April 5th, 2016, 20:17
Thanks for all the input.

zswobbie1
April 5th, 2016, 22:05
I upgraded both of my laptops, a work celeron Windows 8 as well as my simming Windows 7 laptop. I tried using the usual little icon in the task bar, but it seemed to hang. I them had perfect success using the Windows mediatool to update. No issues afterwards at all with my 3x versions of FS9 & my P3Dv1.4, which is basically the same as FSX & is the only version of P3D I can use as my laptop's hardware is only DX9.

If you are not happy, you can roll back, via a Windows 10 setting, to your previous operating system. I did this twice just as a test, & lost nothing! BIG NOTE!! If you want to roll back, DO NOT use Windows Restore, use the setting in Windows 10.

kiki
December 23rd, 2016, 11:10
I did update to Win10 and now FSX just wont start. I get a message saying I have wrong version of DirectX. I was able to find discussions on this subject with a d/l link to have an older version of the DirectX without harming the current DirectX12 but that didn't change anything. Perhaps I will try to uninstall and then install FSX again.

Few questions:

1. Have you been (anyone?) able to use FSX with Win10? How did you do that?
2. Is there an idiot-guide how to do that?
3. If I uninstall my FSX, will all my add ons vanish? Do I have to install again ALL of them?
4. Are my FSX days now gone forever?

Roger
December 23rd, 2016, 12:29
Kiki, Direct X 9c is the version you want, unless your attempting Direct X 10 preview mode.

hairyspin
December 24th, 2016, 00:31
To be precise, the June 2010 DirectX 9.0c version is needed. Get it from Microsoft.

Terry
December 24th, 2016, 03:20
I had one problem when I went from 8.1 to 10. When 10 installed it totally deleted Gold Wings 3, it left FS9 and FSX intact. Just make sure everything is backed up.