PDA

View Full Version : Uk - vfr

funkster319
October 7th, 2008, 14:17
Anyone tried the Horizon VFR add ons?

Any good? I am thnkning of getting one to practise VFR prior to lessons - I need the one for Cheshire / Manchester ideally - howver I cant work out which one it is out of the 3 set?

Any help or other recomendations

Nick C
October 7th, 2008, 14:31
Excellent resolution images, good support and the latest versions fix a lot of the original problems.

The installation procedure of the DVD's can take a long time, certainly the original DVD's I had were problematic at times, but I think again that the latest versions have solved this.

The terrain is nice too, I often fly with the photo scenery turned off but the terrain switched on. Also, Gary Summons and the UK2000 group are working on the FSX airfields which align with the Horizon scenery.

http://www.uk2000scenery.com/vfrairfields/index.html

Here are maps which should help you find the correct version (I'd suggest version 3), each product page on the Horizon website lists these coverage maps however.

S
October 7th, 2008, 14:35
Well it's all just flat images but the best thing is that they are working on those airports. Pack one is already out and covers I think at aroun 70 airports in the South and that really like finishes it. I like it and especially with v2 which enhanced it and added all the waterclass etc. Pretty neat!

IanP
October 7th, 2008, 14:40
Chester is in Volume 3 of the photoscenery, Manchester in Vol 2, unfortunately. You have the same problem we normally do around Shropshire - it's always right on the border of everything!

Ian P.

IanHenry
October 7th, 2008, 21:17
Ian,
I'm fairly sure Manchester is in Vol3. Also if you follow this link you will find lot's of great freeware airports;
http://www.arm-computers.co.uk/

Ian

IanP
October 7th, 2008, 22:41
Mancland is in volume 3 on that one... I was thinking of the old ones I had, where Wales (and Chester) were in one and Manchester in another. Ignore me. Blame lack of sleep trying to make AI work for some people who know who they are! :costumes:

Ian P.

Nick C
October 7th, 2008, 23:17
I'd have thought the maps I posted were conclusive Ian, no excuses. Now, where's my AI? :173go1::d

Francois
October 7th, 2008, 23:37
Now, now... gentlemen.. gentlemen ..... :d:d

IanHenry
October 8th, 2008, 01:31
Not too worry! :wavey:

Ian

IanP
October 8th, 2008, 02:15
I'd have thought the maps I posted were conclusive Ian, no excuses. Now, where's my AI? :173go1::d

It's in the post. :d

Ian P.

guzler
October 8th, 2008, 07:27
The textures put me off buying the VFR scenery, the colours just aren't right. I downloaded the Orbx tasmania demo a few weeks ago and the colours in that really suit the UK, lush green country side with dark green trees and plenty of autogen. Now if a UK scenery came out looking like that, I would snap it up.

Bradburger
October 8th, 2008, 07:58
The textures put me off buying the VFR scenery, the colours just aren't right. I downloaded the Orbx tasmania demo a few weeks ago and the colours in that really suit the UK, lush green country side with dark green trees and plenty of autogen. Now if a UK scenery came out looking like that, I would snap it up.

Are you not confusing the Just Flight UK VFR scenery with the Horizon UK VFR scenery ?

From the screenshots I've seen and using their demo, the colours in the JF version just aren't right (rather over saturated to my eye), where as the colours of the Horizon VFR scenery look much more realistic.

When I get a new PC and FSX up and running, I'm going to purchase the entire lot from Horizon, as well as Gary Summons UK FSX Airfields! :jump:

Cheers

Paul

Paul_Yorks
October 8th, 2008, 08:13
I have Horizon's scenery 1 & 3 and love it.

There's a free demo you can try - in Snowdonia, if memory serves. Very nice too.

Lack of autogen is an issue, but of course fps is up as a result, and I'm happy with the tradeoff. There is talk of properly-placed AG being introduced (payware, I'm sure) and again there's an impressive Snowdonia demo of how that might look.

Do NOT buy off ebay, or at least be careful. We owners of the original versions of the disks were able to upgrade for pennies, and some characters are putting their old versions on the net for sale, despite Horizon making it clear they won't support them (there'd be double registration).

Make sure you get v.2 of the discs, is the short point. Includes night lighting and water masks that look amazing, also improved installers.

stiz
October 8th, 2008, 08:56
If you set your visability to from around 10-20 miles (very unlikly you'll be able to see further in real life!) then the Horizon one looks pretty spot on to me, at least in my area (north east). I've never liked the colours of the Just Flight version, englands green ... but not THAT green :kilroy:

Also the lack of autogen isnt a problem for me, but then my pc cant handle FSX+ autogen, so even if it wasnt there i couldnt have it anyway :costumes:

Henry
October 8th, 2008, 09:20
any idea where the demo is?
H

stiz
October 8th, 2008, 09:46
it was included on the PC Pilot a cover disk a while back, and looked like it was up for download for a short time, allthough i cant seem to find it now :frown:

On the plus ... they've anounced that there doing scotland!!!!!!!!!

We're asked daily when Scotland will be available as an enhancement for FSX and, until now, we've always said that "it's coming, but we're not absolutely sure when!". The problem has been that the weather in Scotland has prevented the companies acquiring the photographic data from completing their surveys. We're sure you'll be pleased to hear that coverage is now sufficient for us to start creating products for you and we've been doing this behind the scenes for a little while now.

The spectacular Western Isles will be the first in the series and we expect it to be available within the next 6 weeks (followed swiftly by the Shetlands and the Orkneys and then the rest of the mainland).

The series will include high-resolution photographic scenery, terrain, night-lighting (developed using new techniques), intricate water-masking and a few other special features that we'll let you know more about shortly. We think that the Western Isles will, without doubt, be better than anything we've created in the past and are excited about its release.

This is just a 'heads up' for now. More detailed information will be posted on our website very shortly.

Scott W
October 8th, 2008, 09:59
The demo is available from http://www.horizonsimulation.com/store/htmlarea/popups/VFRGenXJump-Demo.htm

Henry
October 8th, 2008, 10:03
The demo is available from http://www.horizonsimulation.com/store/htmlarea/popups/VFRGenXJump-Demo.htm

Thank you sir
H:ernae:

ananda
October 8th, 2008, 11:09
Lack of autogen is an issue

Eh? I have 43000 agn files which work with the Horizon scenery.

guzler
October 8th, 2008, 11:51
Are you not confusing the Just Flight UK VFR scenery with the Horizon UK VFR scenery ?

From the screenshots I've seen and using their demo, the colours in the JF version just aren't right (rather over saturated to my eye), where as the colours of the Horizon VFR scenery look much more realistic.

When I get a new PC and FSX up and running, I'm going to purchase the entire lot from Horizon, as well as Gary Summons UK FSX Airfields! :jump:

Cheers

Paul

I could be, but still not sold on photoreal without autogen being a low n slow pilot

BASys
October 8th, 2008, 12:35
Hi Folks

I could be,
but still not sold on photoreal without autogen
being a low n slow pilot
Guzler -
There's lots of GenX low & slow pilots.

As George says,
he's got 43,000 agn files installed in GenX.

There's an active GenX community
developing autogen, scenery, and airfields,
with coverage improving daily.

Take a peek at the Horizon screenshots & compatible scenery forums.

Keep your eyes peeled for future announcements.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Paul_Yorks
October 9th, 2008, 13:23
Eh? I have 43000 agn files which work with the Horizon scenery.

I am happy to be corrected; but I have not seen all these things. I have some great towers and landmarks that I use with Horizon's photoscenery. If you're suggesting that there are, in addition, lots of autogen files available that give you a 3d landscape similar to the one we see in default FS with, say, scenery on sparse or normal, then I would love to hear about it - I am not aware it exists.

Please point me to the a/gen - I'll be downloading in a flash.

ananda
October 9th, 2008, 14:28
Please point me to the a/gen - I'll be downloading in a flash.

Try http://www.shepsshed.com/autogentrees.htm for starters.

With photographic scenery you can have autogen on max with little effect on performance.

funkster319
October 9th, 2008, 14:32
Hi guys, thanks for all your help :wiggle: great stuff

I would also be interested in placing the A gen stuff over the top of the Horrizon flat scenery (Its the only thing that puts me off)

Any pointers in the right direction would be awesome.

BTW Cheers for maps, for some reason I couldn't get them to show on the Horrizon website , so helped alot.

TimA
October 10th, 2008, 03:12
Chester is in Volume 3 of the photoscenery, Manchester in Vol 2, unfortunately. You have the same problem we normally do around Shropshire - it's always right on the border of everything!

I have the same problem in Oxford - on the border between vol 1 and vol 2!

guzler
October 10th, 2008, 08:52
Great to see autogen coming along with photoscenery,

Is there any screenshots showing more of how it looks ?

Cheers guys:ernae:

ananda
October 10th, 2008, 11:59
Great to see autogen coming along with photoscenery

It's been available since 2003 but the site which hosted it has been down for some time

http://www.vfraddons.co.uk/