PDA

View Full Version : Danang scenery

ian elliot
March 30th, 2016, 10:31
I have a large amount of Vietnam war era aircraft in my hanger and ive been waiting for someone to make up dedicated FSX scenery for the area, in the end i got board with waiting and figured i'd have a go my self, other than John Stinstrom's ground objects and a few other bits and bobs, most objects are custom made for FSX, its taken a while and i still have to figure out plans for AI and how much extra obs to use, so im not sure when it'll be ready, but i thought i'd show some preview screens, The area will also include the deep port area of Danang and Marble Mountain facillity, a couple of miles to the west on the China beach shore,

ian elliot
March 30th, 2016, 10:33
and a few more screens---

mal998
March 30th, 2016, 12:22
A while back there were a few guys involved in creating a load of Vietnam War scenery. They were called The Vietnam War Project. I think you can find them here: http://vietnamwar.project.free.fr/

awstub
March 31st, 2016, 22:22
I have installed the Vietnam War Project scenery and Danang looks fairly decent.
To help it look better, I removed all of the modern FSX airplanes and edited out most the static Vietnam War Project models (they looked cartoon-ish and had black canopies).
Then I , installed CalClassic MATS, CalClassic Indochina 1962, CalClassic Traffic 1962 (as well as CalClassic Core and CalClassic LandClass) and finally, I added extra AI traffic files to help populate things.

I'm still tweaking it, but here is what it looks like for me:

Looking West (you cant see from this distance, but the Ammo Dump in the south-west corner has revetments and is populated with objects.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/Danang_overview_zps5l2harzu.jpg

Landing on 35R, rolling past some of the AI aircraft in hangers.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/Danang_takeoff_zpstpjvwjc9.jpg

Low pass towards the north, you can see the AI aircraft (F-104 & F-4) parked on the alert pad as well as some in nearby hangers
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/Danang_flypast_zpslvmclaqx.jpg

ian elliot
March 31st, 2016, 22:33
I have try'd the VWP scenery in the past but the frames killed it for me, mainly the use of FS9 portovers as ai and unsuitable static aircraft probably had a lot to do with it, maybe i'll give it another look but press on with my version also, nice screens by the way:encouragement:

expat
April 1st, 2016, 01:08
Ian - your idea to mod the Vietnam Project scenery with the Calclassics add ons is a good one (I have the same fps issue) - look forward to the finished project!

ian elliot
April 1st, 2016, 05:38
Ian - your idea to mod the Vietnam Project scenery with the Calclassics add ons is a good one (I have the same fps issue) - look forward to the finished project![/COLOR]]

Thats awstub's idea not mine, i was just making up some stand alone scenery but it'll be intresting to see what he comes up with :applause:

cheers ian

expat
April 1st, 2016, 06:39
Ian - thanks + awstub, apologies!

lazarus
April 1st, 2016, 07:16
Tooting horn...and it's not total crap.

http://simviation.com/1/download-file?file=Tonkin_Gulf_Yacht_club_ships_and_Traffic .zip&fileId=47740

Period ships and routes, some old O/H'd stuff, some new, including some modern PLAN forces. Yankee and Dixie station, PRIAZ, sampans, gunline, Swift boats and PBR's in the Mekong, Rung Sat, Square Bay and Breezy Cove, VC river junks, NVAN missile boats off the coast up north, Curritucks on the market Time bases, traffic from Subic to RVN...stuff like that, some other odds and ends ( A few things I should update...:stupid:) Would have U'L'd here, too, but anything over a few KB times out, lately-one of those weird mystery derps.

xpelekis
April 1st, 2016, 07:26
Lazarus,
from your description & photo, these look great stuff... Thank's for sharing.

awstub
April 1st, 2016, 15:30
Tooting horn...and it's not total crap.

http://simviation.com/1/download-file?file=Tonkin_Gulf_Yacht_club_ships_and_Traffic .zip&fileId=47740

Period ships and routes, some old O/H'd stuff, some new, including some modern PLAN forces. Yankee and Dixie station, PRIAZ, sampans, gunline, Swift boats and PBR's in the Mekong, Rung Sat, Square Bay and Breezy Cove, VC river junks, NVAN missile boats off the coast up north, Curritucks on the market Time bases, traffic from Subic to RVN...stuff like that, some other odds and ends ( A few things I should update...:stupid:) Would have U'L'd here, too, but anything over a few KB times out, lately-one of those weird mystery derps.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36596&stc=1

Wow! That looks outstanding. I will be downloading it today :)

awstub
April 1st, 2016, 16:06
I have try'd the VWP scenery in the past but the frames killed it for me, mainly the use of FS9 portovers as ai and unsuitable static aircraft probably had a lot to do with it, maybe i'll give it another look but press on with my version also, nice screens by the way:encouragement:

I'm very partial to Danang, as my father Flew B-57B's there in 1966 (and occasionally, F-4E's in 1972).
If you need help with any testing, etc.. let me know and I will try and so what I can.

I'm just trying to make what is available work as well as I can. I don't know how to create or edit objects yet, so that puts me at a disadvantage.

I still have to remove some of the VWP static OV-10's and A-6's. All I do to accomplish this is rename the associated .bgl file.
Really, I would like to replace them with something else, but I don't really know how to do that either.

Right now, with the way I have it set (with a bunch of AI aircraft taxiing, landing and taking off) I get about 19 to 20 frames/sec.

My display settings are:

Scenery level of detail radius large
Mesh complexity 70
Mesh resolution 76
Texture resolution 1 m
Water effects Mid 2.x
Scenery complexity Extremely dense
Autogen Density Extremely Dense
Special Effects detail High

Hardware wise, I am running it on a Windows 7 x64 bit system with an I5-3470 / 3.20 Ghz processor, 12 Gb RAM with an AMD Radeon HD 6700 series GPU.

lazarus
April 1st, 2016, 20:53
I note we have similar hardware and get the same frame rates. I'm OK with the VNW scenery, but FSX native models display better, no texture flicker.
Looks nice, Ian, nice indeed.
I further note Ian driving the FS9 F-100C, so we may as well test out the FSX version.
Still in progress- the probe won't fold-it's on door 2 command. Drag chute is on wingfold, still messing with boarding ladder. You should D/L the port-over version- see the home page, scroll down to most popular downloads- for effects and what not; all that's unchanged. It's the port over down load with MDL X native models- I put in an extra without wing tanks. Great paints. I'm thinking about a ZELL nuclear strike version, now. Hang on for a mo, just U/Ling the file to drive right now...
CWDT_F-100C_X
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bymd7iALx2FoNXdicEE0RUZQY2M/view?usp=sharing

awstub
April 1st, 2016, 21:41

Would it be easier to work off of what has already been done on the VWP scenery?....and is that possible?

I think it looks pretty decent, considering how long ago it was created. Here is a closer view of the ammo dump:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/Danang_Huskey-BombDepot1_zpsflr4ott9.jpg

If some fencing and some guard towers could be added, I think it would make that area look much more realistic.

Also, for the rest of the base, if the parking spaces could be made to only accept specific airlines you could have the USMC AI park in their area and the USAF park in their own area. Right now they just park all over the place.

Other things to "spruce it up" would be to have static ground crew in the arm/de-arm areas and add arresting gear to the runways.

Something that would also make it look more realistic would be better fuel pit area equipped with rubber fuel bladders like they used.....but I don't think anyone has created any objects like that yet.

SiR_RiPPER
April 2nd, 2016, 04:34
Off topic, what's this helicopter called? Haven't seen it before.

icycle
April 2nd, 2016, 05:02

Kaman HH-43 Husky. Flown by USAF as part of Air Rescue in 1960's

icycle
April 2nd, 2016, 05:10
Kaman HH-43 Husky. Flown by USAF as part of Air Rescue in 1960's

Actually, "Huskie", not "Husky" - which is a bush plane built by, I think, Aviat.
(Brain and fingers not communicating well this AM:stupid:)

awstub
April 2nd, 2016, 14:34

Yep, my favorite helicopter, the Kaman HH-43 Huskie..... call sign "Pedro".

They were used for firefighting and crash rescue. They also were use for CSAR operations.

Here's a good website about them: http://www.pedroafrescue.org/thehh43.htm

Crusader
April 4th, 2016, 11:27
Am I to assume this up coming Danang scenery probably won't be compatible with P3D . I tried the Vietnam War Project scenery in P3D and unfortunately the taxiways don't show up correctly which is apparently a problen with some scenery in P3D. Would love to see some Vietnam scenery that works well in P3D . I keep FSXSE loaded specifically for the Vietnam War Project and many other excellent war sceneries . Anyway Ian , thanks for keeping this area of the world going . Looking forward to it .

Rich

Randy92
June 30th, 2016, 23:04
Any update on this one?

Cheers,
Randy

I have a large amount of Vietnam war era aircraft in my hanger and ive been waiting for someone to make up dedicated FSX scenery for the area, in the end i got board with waiting and figured i'd have a go my self, other than John Stinstrom's ground objects and a few other bits and bobs, most objects are custom made for FSX, its taken a while and i still have to figure out plans for AI and how much extra obs to use, so im not sure when it'll be ready, but i thought i'd show some preview screens, The area will also include the deep port area of Danang and Marble Mountain facillity, a couple of miles to the west on the China beach shore,

falcon409
July 1st, 2016, 05:13
Am I to assume this up coming Danang scenery probably won't be compatible with P3D . I tried the Vietnam War Project scenery in P3D and unfortunately the taxiways don't show up correctly which is apparently a problen with some scenery in P3D. Would love to see some Vietnam scenery that works well in P3D . I keep FSXSE loaded specifically for the Vietnam War Project and many other excellent war sceneries . Anyway Ian , thanks for keeping this area of the world going . Looking forward to it .

Rich
Crusader, the missing taxiways/runways can be corrected easily with ADE if you're familiar with that program. Once that's done the Vietnam War Project scenery works very well in P3D.

tgycgijoes
July 1st, 2016, 10:08
This is really cool. We have a couple of carriers at NAS Alameda right now that just might transit one to Yankee Station if I can get those ai tracks to work better. There is an example of an extended track to the Med that I may see if I can modify to go from Alameda to Yankee Station and then be able to fly the C1A Trader (COD) in and out of Danang just like in the 1960s-1970s. Watching here closely.

R

ian elliot
July 3rd, 2016, 10:58
Hi, not much im afraid, ive been a bit distracted from simming lately, but things are moving in the right direction, ive been playing with Ai, seeing how much i can load up before frame's take a hit and at the moment things are pretty good, other than ground equipment, ive put as much work into the scenery as i want too, there's a few posts back that lists some very ambitious enhancements, its fair to say i wont be including any of them:biggrin-new:
Im quite pleased with the static Birddogs, its an old Alphasim model run through Mdlx, makes a good relativly low poly scenery ob, although strangely the prop has dissapear'd, i know there's a 0-1 scenery ob out there but i think this one has a better shape and texture's, im also trying to make a scenery ob out of Zhyhulshiy's C-123, again , it runs nicely through MDLconX to create an object that looks good and is low on frame's, there's just the thorny issue of permission,
The 123 was the most numerous transport so it seems right to try and use it, there's a few C-130's i can use but i'd prefer the 123.

PS, im having issue's with parking space push back, even though i select no pushback in the properties of the parking node, i still get aircraft reversing backwards through walls and im all out of ideas getting them to stop----