PDA

View Full Version : In game antriscopic filtering

datter
February 3rd, 2009, 14:16
I just came across the following here (http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_fsx_techtips.html).

Using in-game AF (anisotropic filtering) is always better than forcing AF in Driver Control Panel. It's always faster and gives virtually the same image quality, because game developers know exactly which surfaces need anisotropic filtering and which don't. It allows the GPU to save the precious resources and achieve better gameplay. Use in-game AF in Microsoft's Flight Simulator X to achieve better image quality.Which flies in the face of a lot of tips I see from NickN and others which advocate forcing AF through nhancer. Thought it might be worth posting/testing.

datter

harleyman
February 3rd, 2009, 14:31
I usually leave it off in game and force it with my driver at 8X.....

But some get different results.....

To go by Nicks tips,you need to do his whole deal and use NHancer too...

I have an ATI card and never used NHancer...

ICDP
February 4th, 2009, 09:33
I disable it in game and use 8X through control panel. IMHO it looks better that way with a slight FPS boost. I also see no significant difference between 8X and 16X in FSX.

Mathias
February 5th, 2009, 02:15
The problem with the buildin AA/AF settings is that they are so downgraded in order to get the bugga to run that it's almost worthless to bother with.

heywooood
February 11th, 2009, 17:44
I use Nhancer and followed NickN's tips to the letter..more or less.

I run FSX at 4x AA/AF with no enhancements and no problems

SolarEagle
February 15th, 2009, 18:46
Don't put too much stock in those Nvidia tech tips. Stuff like that is written by their ussual staff, so you'll get more appropriate advice from people in the sim community.

harleyman
February 15th, 2009, 19:05
Those tips i was refering to are from NickN....

He does without a doubt know more about an OS and Nvidia and FSX / FS9 and Nhancer than I ever will.... Plus I believe he helped develop O & O Defragg...

But I agree...Some tips just don't work on all systems...

I use a Texture_Bandwidth_Multi of 100......Default is 30...Most recomend 40-70-80... They say my setting of 100 is for older systems..But mine sure is not an old system... Well after having some memory problems and addressing that with virtual memory , I had to reduce that value bach to 40 to stop any slight stutters I had....

grunau_baby
February 15th, 2009, 21:17
Itīs indeed very much system related. My old system ran FSX with much toil and trouble, but it worked a little better with ingame AF.

On my newer rig I use the Nvidia AF and ingame is turned off. I get superb results and smooth performance with it. If I turn it on ingame now the results are less satisfying.

Itīs a matter of try and find what works best on your system. All tutorials and tricks from companies can - especially with FSX - only be quidelines for tweaking.

Alex

datter
February 19th, 2009, 04:06
I did some further testing with this the other day and found that if I set AF to off in nhancer and in-game to trilinear it looks damned near the same to me as with AF on for some reason.

harleyman
February 19th, 2009, 04:11
Yea...Unfortunitally there is no *SET* fix for anything and FSX..LOL

Its all trail and error....

I never used NHancer myself...

I guess it all comes down to some well spent hours trying different configurations.......

The less you have to use AF, the better on most systems I find...

Both AA & AF give good in game improvements at a cost ....:faint:

ryanbatc
February 19th, 2009, 06:48
What a lie....the in-game settings are crap compared to what you can do with your video card. 8x AA and 16xAF here for the win!

stansdds
February 20th, 2009, 02:22
Mine is set to in-game Tri-linear filtering, no in-game AA. nHancer is set to 4x AA and 8x AF, looks great and runs smooth. I'm still trying various tweaks and such to get further improvements.

harleyman
February 20th, 2009, 02:45
You and I are set the same standds and it works great....

What other help do you need ?

Dangerous Beans
February 20th, 2009, 09:35
Try setting AA in NHancer to Combined 8xS

stansdds
February 20th, 2009, 11:16
You and I are set the same standds and it works great....

What other help do you need ?
Probably a quad core and an additional 2 GB of RAM. I've locked the frame rate at 24 fps. It stays around 23 to 24 with native FSX aircraft, but FS9 port overs do cause drops into the 18 fps neighborhood, especially when flying near the ground.

harleyman
February 21st, 2009, 01:28
Thats not bad at all Standds...

I have a E8600 with no OC on XP..4Gigs ram...

Frames locked at 35 and hold that till I hit a biggie with lots of ground traffic, then down to 28 and up.....

Only using in my Catalist Control Canter 4 AA & 8 AF

stansdds
February 21st, 2009, 02:54
Yep, and I understand that ATI video cards are actually better than nVidia when it comes to FS9 and FSX. I stayed with nVidia because I also fly Il2:1946, which is written for OpenGL (nVidia) and uses a DX9 wrapper for non-nVidia cards.

harleyman
February 21st, 2009, 03:00
Well I don't know aboyt better...But I think they display colors much better.. They seem more sharp and brilliant, if that makes sence at all...LOL

My card , the 4870X2 I was just reading by NickN from SimForums says is actually not recomended for FSX..I forget why, but its served me well so far once I got enough power to it...:faint: