PDA

View Full Version : what does it mean....

Cees Donker
March 29th, 2016, 10:51
"at the top of the matt" It has to do something with the carrier (where the TACAN orientation point must be placed)???

:dizzy:

Cees

gaucho_59
March 29th, 2016, 12:10
"at the top of the matt" It has to do something with the carrier (where the TACAN orientation point must be placed)???

Cees

Just wondering... matt with 2 Ts has no meaning in English... (except as a nickname for Matthew) Correction... often used for the Gallicism "matte" meaning
a surface without gloss... not reflecting light...

A MAT... with only one T... yes... like an exercise mat... a cover... etc.
Now in yoga parlance... "at the top of the mat" is used for the "jump off" position for an exercise...
There could be a figure of speech there... like....a jump off position...

Maybe there is a clue there... something combining these two meanings... what did you hear it in reference to... ?
I repeat... MATT with 2 Ts has no real meaning as a noun in English... as an adjective.. yes...

You've aroused my curiosity... I am researching this...

G.

Roger
March 29th, 2016, 12:14
Matt can describe a type of paint at the other end of the scale from gloss.

sparouty
March 29th, 2016, 12:21
May be it is : maSt as the TACAN antenna is often at the highiest point of the ship...Cees is this strange word comes from a RFN read me?
:untroubled:
Regards
Sylvain

Cees

Andreas Becker
March 29th, 2016, 12:58
Matt can describe a type of paint at the other end of the scale from gloss.

-Matt is a word of german origin and can have several meanings.

-First of all it's a description of a more or less weathered, unglamorous or blind color. A diffuse reflection, the opposite is gloss. >> You're right, Roger.
-In medieval times it was an old square measure....equivalent for around 4200 squaremeters.
-It stands also for gloomy light transmission = opacity
-And last not least it describes all kinds of mood disorders, like malaise and fatigue

Greets Flyandy :mixed-smiley-010::mixed-smiley-010:

TARPSBird
March 29th, 2016, 13:43
It's from the English readme for the RFN TACAN gauge, and it's just a "typo". Yes, it refers to the location of the ship's TACAN antenna at the top of the mast. Use MCX as if you were adding a mast light to get the position values.

gaucho_59
March 29th, 2016, 17:18
It's from the English readme for the RFN TACAN gauge, and it's just a "typo". Yes, it refers to the location of the ship's TACAN antenna at the top of the mast. Use MCX as if you were adding a mast light to get the position values.

So it was "top of the mast" misspelled, huh?
Good show...

and there I was researching... a sort of a "wild goose chase"....
G.

Cees Donker
March 29th, 2016, 18:22
May be it is : maSt as the TACAN antenna is often at the highiest point of the ship...Cees is this strange word comes from a RFN read me?
:untroubled:
Regards
Sylvain

Yes indeed! It's in the readme to add carriers to the gauge.....:biggrin-new: I had no clue as to what it was. Obvious in hindsight, but not when you're following instructions to the letter. :untroubled:

Cees