PDA

View Full Version : So I'm eating crackers while watching the market tank when the phone rings!

Cazzie
October 7th, 2008, 13:35
It's my IT buddy George, who also works part-time at the local Wally World.

"Yo dood, whatja doin' before you get the younguns?"

"Nuttin'"

"Well, drop by here on the way a little early. I got summin' for ya."

Dropped by and I too, now belong to the dark side. At his price - $30.00!:applause:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/fsx_accel.jpg

All's installed, got some nHancer settings to make. Tried it and set my frame rates at 24 fps. Guess what, with sliders only one nick away from full on everything, I got 24 fps! :applause:

Okay Panther etal, recommendations please?

Caz

SkippyBing
October 7th, 2008, 13:40
Welcome to the Dark Side (sound of heavy breathing etc.)

Try the Wyvern http://www.nazcastudios.com/sea-hawk/wyvern.html

BananaBob
October 7th, 2008, 13:42
You have done our bidding well, muhahahaha! :cost1::d

lucas81
October 7th, 2008, 13:45
Cazzie,

As for the scenery, I can recommend you Ultimate Terrain X series. It corrects the road/river network and introduces very accurate landclass. I recommend the one for the Europe. Mesh in the FSX is very nice. The USA and Canada are covered with 38m mesh, while Europe, Japan and Australia have 76m mesh.

As for the planes, there are many freeware to enjoy. Here at SOH, you will find many of them.

Edit: Phil Taylor, former member of Aces team posted the list of freeware planes made with FSX toolkit. Cazzie, be aware that FS9 planes ported to FSX can have display problems. The list which Phil posted contains birds which will work flawless in the FSX.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2008/08/31/available-freeware-aircraft-add-ons-and-fsx.aspx

BananaBob
October 7th, 2008, 13:52
Yes, definitely get the great freeware aircraft from Lukasz and team at SimHangar above, great work and full FSX, and get the updated Jenny too for FSX there, fantastic stuff, and not to fail to mention all the great aircraft Piglet has done for FSX.:ernae: And the Wyvern above also, cannot be missed, thank goodness for these great free stuff.

cheezyflier
October 7th, 2008, 14:01
get alacrity pc awesome program, and then mebbe you'll pick up a tad more performance even still.
after that, there is the:

aa-5b from piglet
carenado 206
maam-sim's briefing time at least, but it's all good from them and you get a good price if you buy the whole package.
keep an eye out for the dodsim huey that should be out any time now.
the sneak shots i have seen are awesome.

Lewis-A2A
October 7th, 2008, 14:04
Welcome to Flight Simulation, pick up your flight simulation aircraft from Wings of Silver Boeing 377.

Pilots License dispensed once mastered :icon_lol:

Lionheart
October 7th, 2008, 14:04
Lucky Cajun!!! 24FPS with almost full sliders!!!??

:banghead: :isadizzy:

arrghh.....

(Translation: Man, dude! That is awesome! You now have FSX and it runs fast on your rig! Have fun and happy flying.. :d )

Go check out the Kennemore amphibius airfield in Washington, (I think its called that). Check out the airport scenery... Very cool.

I recommend getting TileProxy running on your rig, as FSX will display the most brilliant, crisp, photo real scenery. When you dont have TileProxy on, your scenery and AutoGen return to normal.

When you finally get a chance, do a touch and go in the MIssions center in the F-18 Hornet on a Carrier. Tell me (us) how many times in pattern until you successfully do a cable catch/landing.

Bill

huub vink
October 7th, 2008, 14:07
Well Cazzie, let me start with the good news.... There is a great Fokker Dr1 for FSX and Robby88 has a FSX version from his Brisfit. :jump::applause:
The bad news is that Stuart Green's FS2004 models have some uncurable errors in FSX :banghead:

Nevertheless enjoy ;)
Huub

Alexraptor
October 7th, 2008, 14:09
Almost full sliders is actually pretty easy if you have a decent system, just make sure you have "bloom effects" disabled, because it eats an insane amount of computer power.

PhilRamone
October 7th, 2008, 14:25
TILEPROXY!!!!

id ont have FSX (bc my comp wont run it :P) but hell if i had it thats what id have on first thing... my dad has it on FS9 and loves it hahaha

Pultacatt
October 7th, 2008, 14:28
It was your destiny!

:costumes:

spotlope
October 7th, 2008, 14:31
Dooood! Thirty buck for the whole she-bang... that's incredible. Think of all the money you saved by waiting until now! Hey, if you're feeling rich and all, I've got a $15 airport I'll sell ya.

Really, I do.

MCDesigns
October 7th, 2008, 14:38
Congrats man, welcome to the club! :ernae:

harleyman
October 7th, 2008, 14:47
Lucky Cajun!!! 24FPS with almost full sliders!!!??

:banghead: :isadizzy:

arrghh.....

(Translation: Man, dude! That is awesome! You now have FSX and it runs fast on your rig! Have fun and happy flying.. :d )

Bill

Just makes me want to cry.........:d

I paid 49 bucks for the Gold..Thats a great deal...Enjoy....:applause:

kilo delta
October 7th, 2008, 14:49
If you're into VFR flying, then nothing..............and I mean n-o-t-h-i-n-g comes close to FTX ( http://fullterrain.com/ ). It covers most of Australia at the moment, although the developers are planning on eventually taking over the world!!!!!:d :)

Cazzie
October 7th, 2008, 15:11
Just makes me want to cry.........:d

I paid 49 bucks for the Gold..Thats a great deal...Enjoy....:applause:

First, thanks to all that replied, I am going over it all, but it will take time. UTX-US is a "must have". Although the water textures are out of this world, is there any way to change the inland colors more green? They are way too blue.

And Bill, I ain't da cajun, dat'd be Pointy31, I'm a Tarheel who has immigrated over to the Soreback state. :d

Harleyman, you just need to know the right people, It was $49.99 retail there too, but I got it as George's Wally World discount, which is about cost. Don't know what my po bones would do sometime without good friends! :medals:

Caz

CG_1976
October 7th, 2008, 15:22
Welcome to the flip side Cazzie:ernae:

MudMarine
October 7th, 2008, 15:24
It (FSX) truely is the dark side! Maybe someday someone will show us the light!! But what choice do we have now............

Dain Arns
October 7th, 2008, 15:29
A-HAHAHAHAHAHA! GOTCHA! (Vader softly whistles: "Another One Bites The Dust")...

(Welcome, Caz! :icon_twi: )

N2056
October 7th, 2008, 15:38
"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will."

Welcome to the club! :wavey:
Oh...and ya might like "Pete", pete.zip right here at de outhouse! :d

(http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&FileType=fsx&page=downloads&Category=aircraft&FileUploadName=&ammm=15&pap=3#download)

Snuffy
October 7th, 2008, 15:51
Congrats Caz! :ernae:

Roger
October 7th, 2008, 15:54
Cazzie,
One thing you will notice is that Manuele's Ansaldo will show in FsX without any adjustments. It even works in Vista Dx10 mode!

deathfromafar
October 7th, 2008, 16:06
I'm running both FSX Gold and FS9 and enjoy them both. I wanted to get FSX up and running to take advantage of some of the new FSX only models or ones on the way soon. FSX runs smooth and looks great overall but I have so many FS9 addons for aircraft and scenery there's no way I can ditch it for a while. Interesting thing is with all my custom environments in FS9, it actually looks better than FSX in a majority of the scenery and landclasses especially at altitude. Eventually I will have all the same setups on FSX which will correct some of the blatent errors I have observed in scenery and landclass. After that, I will probably scale FS9 down and use FSX more.

MCDesigns
October 7th, 2008, 17:18
"I will learn the secrets of FSX and turn them all to the dark side!!"
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/666/vaderfsxui9.jpg

AlphaWhiskeyFoxtrot
October 7th, 2008, 17:29
MCD! Nice:costumes:

Caz,
Grab The PC-9 from Iris... Its really worth it!

-Conrad

txnetcop
October 7th, 2008, 17:40
We knew you would join our growing cult! Welcome Cazzie to the dark side!:ernae:
Ted

Cazzie
October 8th, 2008, 03:25
Cazzie,
One thing you will notice is that Manuele's Ansaldo will show in FsX without any adjustments. It even works in Vista Dx10 mode!

Roger or anyone else, how does one get into DX10 mode? I have my nHamcer setup to optimize my DX10 SLI, but how does one actually get to the DX10 selector (not dxdiag, I know how to do that)?

Oh, and I got Pete Robert! :ernae:

That moving traffic in FSX is the bee's knees!

Caz

Roger
October 8th, 2008, 03:53
Caz,
2 things are required to run in Dx10 preview mode.
1. Vista.
2. a Dx10 video card. I have an Nvidia GF8800GTX and when in a flight go to options/display/hardware and you will see a check box to enable Dx10 preview.

cheers,

Roger.

kilo delta
October 8th, 2008, 04:22
It truly is the Dark Side. Here's my #2 FSX pc....

http://edge.networkworld.com/weblogs/cool/AlienWare-SW-darkside.jpg

kimdahl
October 8th, 2008, 04:52
Hi Cazzie

About the water colours: some time ago Ashton Lawson, Paul Wheeler and Nick Needham made a water configuration tool, that is really cool: fswc_315.zip at Avsim. Try it, and I am sure that you will be able to get the water just the way you want it :icon_lol:

Regards
Kim

FLighT01
October 8th, 2008, 04:59
LOL at this whole thread. Welcome Cazzie.

Now was that 24FPS around Friday Harbor or downtown Seattle.

And if it's the latter, what's your build?

PS, I'm 61 also, Ive been through 2 major and 2 minor tanks of this market during my working career with my 401K, (now 201K). As the quote goes "I'm gettin' too old for this ...". The only question I have now is when I die will it be at my office desk at work or my FSX desk at home, because it's looking pretty certain for sure at this point I won't die retired in some warm locales retirement community.

txnetcop
October 8th, 2008, 05:07
Awesome Kilo Delta not to mention hilarious! :costumes: This hobby has us reliving our childhood...just ask my wife
Ted

Cazzie
October 8th, 2008, 05:35
Caz,
2 things are required to run in Dx10 preview mode.
1. Vista.
2. a Dx10 video card. I have an Nvidia GF8800GTX and when in a flight go to options/display/hardware and you will see a check box to enable Dx10 preview.

cheers,

Roger.

Roger, I have all required (64-bit Vista SP1 and 8800 GTS SLI) and I have the DX10 preview box checked, but how does one get a preview?

Nice work kilo, that's tits!

Kim, I'm off to AvSim to check out the water config tool.

FLighT01, that's flying around my home in Danville, VA, out of KDAN. Like in real time, I stay away from any metropolis, too many sheeple in those places. But I did fly into Oceana in the Tidewater area, some hesitations but no stutter and the fps stayed at 24. I wonder if there are any tweaks like the VOZ tweaks for FSX.cfg? Sure did wonders to the hesitation and stutter in FS9.

My system: (Built it all from items purchased at Tiger Direct in July)

ASUS motherboard
AMD 3.3 MHz processor
4-GB Corsair stick memory
Two nVidia 8800 GTS SLIed
500 GB Western Digital HD
7.1 C-Media surround sound card
Two Lite-On CD/DVD Reader and Writer
9-in-1 Card Reader

The tower came with a 650-Watt power supply and all hookups and fans.

Caz

FLighT01
October 8th, 2008, 07:09
... I wonder if there are any tweaks like the VOZ tweaks for FSX.cfg? Sure did wonders to the hesitation and stutter in FS9. Caz

FSX cfg has more tweaks than Carter's got liver pills. A few are meaningful, some do little or nothing, some could be detrimental or interact badly with your setup, that's been my experience. Sooner or later everyone ends up trying several of them. It's what FSX is all about, the tweak! Both hardware and to the software. And every once in a while, you fly it!

kilo delta: that finish in amazing, kinda makes my rectangular black metal box look like a, well, a rectangular black metal box.

Roger
October 8th, 2008, 11:59
Roger, I have all required (64-bit Vista SP1 and 8800 GTS SLI) and I have the DX10 preview box checked, but how does one get a preview?

Nice work kilo, that's tits!

Kim, I'm off to AvSim to check out the water config tool.

FLighT01, that's flying around my home in Danville, VA, out of KDAN. Like in real time, I stay away from any metropolis, too many sheeple in those places. But I did fly into Oceana in the Tidewater area, some hesitations but no stutter and the fps stayed at 24. I wonder if there are any tweaks like the VOZ tweaks for FSX.cfg? Sure did wonders to the hesitation and stutter in FS9.

My system: (Built it all from items purchased at Tiger Direct in July)

ASUS motherboard
AMD 3.3 MHz processor
4-GB Corsair stick memory
Two nVidia 8800 GTS SLIed
500 GB Western Digital HD
7.1 C-Media surround sound card
Two Lite-On CD/DVD Reader and Writer
9-in-1 Card Reader

The tower came with a 650-Watt power supply and all hookups and fans.

Caz

You check the box then it'll tell you you need to restart FsX. When it restarts you're in Dx10 preview mode.

BananaBob
October 8th, 2008, 12:45
It truly is the Dark Side. Here's my #2 FSX pc....

http://edge.networkworld.com/weblogs/cool/AlienWare-SW-darkside.jpg

That is one cool tower!! :ernae:

kilo delta
October 8th, 2008, 14:20
Cheers guys......i've also got this one awaiting a re-fit
http://edge.networkworld.com/weblogs/cool/AlienWare-SW-lightside.jpg