PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Ops Envirement

codeseven
February 3rd, 2009, 12:49
While on flying over land or around busy airports i have to turn down the graphics settings because of all the different things going on and the amount of rendering taking place.

I got to thinking, if I'm out at sea just doing carrier ops, away from landmasses and traffic both on land and for the most part in the air (well, as compared to around busy airports) then I think I should be able to really crank up the level of graphics detail in things like aircraft, ships and clouds more than normal.

Using the FS Water Configurator, REX for Clouds, the RF Hellcat and a couple nice addon carriers (the Nimitz and Enterprise) I should be able to create a great 'Carrier Ops Envirement'.

I would 'like' to see realistic water, detailed aircraft and ships and realistic clouds/weather. I'm hoping that without busy landmasses, airports ect,ect around that there will be more CPU/GPU cycles available to turn things up in this more 'limited' envirement.

I also realize that my specs, *especially the graphics card*, will limit how much I can 'crank up' settings but I would think I could do so given this scenario.

Can you tell me what Settings I should be cranking up or turning down (since they wont be needed in this scenario if they're just going to use up CPU/GPU cycles) to maximize my carrier ops envirement? Thanks

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz 1066MHz frontside bus with 6MB L2 Cache
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
*Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT with 512MB of GDDR3 memory*
320GB 7200rpm Hard Drive for OS
VelocRaptor 300GB for FSX
XP SP3

Shylock
February 3rd, 2009, 14:07
Try and turn your Graphics all the way up to ultra high. Then your Aircraft to ultra high. For the water all you need to turn up Max 2.x. In your weather turn it up also to ultra high. That should do it for you. Everything else is for detail over land. Hope this helps.

codeseven
February 3rd, 2009, 14:19
Try and turn your Graphics all the way up to ultra high. Then your Aircraft to ultra high. For the water all you need to turn up Max 2.x. In your weather turn it up also to ultra high. That should do it for you. Everything else is for detail over land. Hope this helps.

Thanks Shylock.

Does it do any good to turn down all the other stuff or do those other settings only come into play when over or near land? Also, what about limiting the distance things need to be rendered? Since I'll only be maybe 5-10 miles from the carrier during ops why rener all the way out to the horizon ( I mean in high detail) or would that tend to look crappy?

Shylock
February 3rd, 2009, 14:47
Ummm its really for when your over land class. But assuming you will be taking off from a airport first wait until you get out over water then go into your settings and change it all. You can have it set so that its all sharp within a few miles.

I havent really tired this. But I have my graphis set to high, Aircraft High and scenery set to medium high. Give it a whirl and take a screne shot to put up in here.

codeseven
February 3rd, 2009, 16:16
Thanks.

Are you using the Water Configuration Tool? It seems to make a big difference. I'm just now trying to learn how to use it with regard to my graphics cards ability.

codeseven
February 4th, 2009, 09:11
Still messing around with the Flight Sim Water Configurator before I attempt to post a screenshot (never posted one before). If anyone hasn't tried using this Free tool yet I would recommend it. You can really adjust water textures according to your systems capabilities, however there is a 'slight' learning curve as I'm finding out.

Question. I would like to see my in cockpit textures as sharp and detailed as my graphics card will allow. Which graphic sliders need to be adjusted?

Here's the water tool if you want to try it out...

http://www.fswaterconfigurator.com/index.htm

Codeseven

Shylock
February 8th, 2009, 16:07
Sorry for geting back so late but I believe its your Aircraft must be all the way up. You can have it up to medium high and read everything in the cockpit

codeseven
February 8th, 2009, 16:23
Ok, thanks.