PDA

View Full Version : Royal Navy Westland Lynx Mk8 for FSX wanted

ChipShop
March 16th, 2016, 12:50
Hi Guys,

I'm after a decent quality Royal Navy Lynx Mk8 for FSX; can anyone point me in the right direction please?
And, is there a good sound file for it as well?

Cheers for now,
ChipShop:encouragement:

DaveWG
March 16th, 2016, 13:43
The only Lynx I'm aware of is the old Alphasim one. Not a bad model for it's age, but I'd love one done to current standards.

ChipShop
March 17th, 2016, 03:54
I've seen one that says it's pay ware, but am unable to find a download for it!
Have you a link for the one that you mention Dave?
Cheers,
ChipShop👍😉

falcon409
March 17th, 2016, 04:03
I've seen one that says it's pay ware, but am unable to find a download for it!
Have you a link for the one that you mention Dave?
Cheers,
ChipShop
Try here:
http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/index.php

Scroll down quite a ways. . .close to the bottom.

falcon409
March 17th, 2016, 05:08
Just a quick look at it in FSX and P3D_V3.2. . . .
In FSX, all VC functions appear to be clickable
In P3D, very few switches are clickable and none of the screens are clickable

In FSX, the interior glass is fine, but exterior glass is foggy, probably needs an alpha adjustment to correct that
In P3D both interior and exterior glass are fine.

Overall, for it's age, it's a pretty nice Heli, has a decent VC and comes with it's own sounds.

ChipShop
March 17th, 2016, 13:39
Many thanks falcon:encouragement:
I've just found the link and downloaded it; screenshots to follow I'm sure!
Cheers for now:ernaehrung004:
ChipShop

ChipShop
March 17th, 2016, 14:31
I've found this download for an 'updated for FSX version',:http://fs.fsdownload.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1920
Seems to work ok; does need a glass fix to be added!
ChipShop

falcon409
March 17th, 2016, 16:20
I've found this download for an 'updated for FSX version',:http://fs.fsdownload.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1920
Seems to work ok; does need a glass fix to be added!
ChipShop
I'm always humored by these people who release an "Updated for FSX" aircraft and yet fail to address the one major problem, THE GLASS!! It aint' updated for FSX if you can't see out or you can't see in folks.:dizzy:

Timmy74
March 17th, 2016, 23:27
Try here:
http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/index.php

Scroll down quite a ways. . .close to the bottom.

Hello falcon409,

Which file are you referring to please?

"ALPHA_Lynx_AH7_V2_1_FS02_FS9.zip"

Or...?

"ALPHA_Future_Lynx_FS9.zip"?

I could not find a "Lynx" entry "...close to the bottom"?

I concur with DaveWG "....but I'd love one done to current standards." it would be a most enjoyable helicopter to fly in FSX/P3D

Regards,
Tim.

falcon409
March 17th, 2016, 23:42
I've had a closer look at the "Updated for FSX" version that ChipShop mentioned as compared to the original version which I linked to above. This is what I found:
The only changes he made was to add a few more radios to the 2D panel, add the full radio stack to the VC and add thumbnails to the two texture folders. That's it.
No changes to the mdl files
No changes to the aircraft.cfg file
No changes to the air file

The glass alpha fix would have been the most important and he didn't bother with that, so the original download and this "Updated version" are basically the same. The things he did change are more "personal preference" than anything necessary to make it work better in FSX.

falcon409
March 17th, 2016, 23:44
Hello falcon409,

Which file are you referring to please?

"ALPHA_Lynx_AH7_V2_1_FS02_FS9.zip"

Or...?

"ALPHA_Future_Lynx_FS9.zip"?

I could not fine a "Lynx" entry "...close to the bottom"?

I concur with DaveWG "....but I'd love one done to current standards." it would be a most enjoyable helicopter to fly in FSX/P3D

Regards,
Tim.

ALPHA_Future_Lynx_FS9.zip. . . .sorry, didn't realize there were two.

Timmy74
March 18th, 2016, 00:35
ALPHA_Future_Lynx_FS9.zip. . . .sorry, didn't realize there were two.

Hello Falcon409,

I have done a little digging and found that the first link "ALPHA_Lynx_AH7_V2_1_FS02_FS9.zip" was better in regards to the "glass" condition but the panels did nor work? I kept getting an error issue from FSX!?!

I tried adding the "panel fix" ie: glass cockpit version but could not get that to work either...!?!

As for the final download "ALPHA_Future_Lynx_FS9.zip" I got he "glass' issue you stated before.

Its a "catch 22" with this Lynx....

Cheers,
Tim.

falcon409
March 18th, 2016, 00:45
Hello Falcon409,

I have done a little digging and found that the first link "ALPHA_Lynx_AH7_V2_1_FS02_FS9.zip" was better in regards to the "glass" condition but the panels did nor work? I kept getting an error issue from FSX!?!

I tried adding the "panel fix" ie: glass cockpit version but could not get that to work either...!?!

As for the final download "ALPHA_Future_Lynx_FS9.zip" I got he "glass' issue you stated before.

Its a "catch 22" with this Lynx....

Cheers,
Tim.

Then I'd stay with the one I suggested. You get a VC that works and adding the glass fix I posted makes it a pretty nice heli for the price.

Timmy74
March 18th, 2016, 00:52
Then I'd stay with the one I suggested. You get a VC that works and adding the glass fix I posted makes it a pretty nice heli for the price.

Afirm. I missed that fix for the "glass" you posted. My bad.

Cheers,
Tim

Timmy74
March 18th, 2016, 01:39
This thing is so frustrating!!!!!

I can not get it started and when I use "CTRL-E" it spools up but when I go to throttle up for take off it shuts down!?!?!?

STRUTH!!!!!

falcon409
March 18th, 2016, 04:57
This thing is so frustrating!!!!!

I can not get it started and when I use "CTRL-E" it spools up but when I go to throttle up for take off it shuts down!?!?!?

STRUTH!!!!!
This from the readme:

STARTING & SHUTDOWN : Use ctrl-shift-F4 to start the engines, not ctrl-e. Shut them down with ctrl-shift-F1. Expert users may wish to follow the realistic procedure outlined in the checklist.

Victory103
March 18th, 2016, 11:18
The FDE is way off as well, but most FS helos are. With the above fixes in FSX, it's not a bad and now freeware Lynx.

falcon409
March 18th, 2016, 11:44
The FDE is way off as well, but most FS helos are. With the above fixes in FSX, it's not a bad and now freeware Lynx.
Yes. . .especially when it comes to landing (although speeding along at 180kts also seems a bit misplaced, lol). Landing isn't impossible, but even with the throttle chopped, it still wants to hang in the air for quite a while before I can get it to settle down.

I'm guessing from your avatar info that you're more versed in this than I am too, lol. I love Helicopters though, they are a blast to fly.

ChipShop
March 18th, 2016, 12:20
Okie Dokie then;
I now have a flyable (just!:dizzy:) Mk8 Lynx; I've applied the Lynx fix, which has helped visually. However, as you all say it's an absolute sod to control!; and yes doesn't she take a heck of a time to settle down before considering any sort of landing! But, she's free; and as this is the only Lynx available to us at the present time, she'll do!:encouragement:
Have tried to install the AH7 Lynx as well without success so far!
So, not attempting any deck landings with this little beasty; at least not yet!:biggrin-new:
ChipShop:loyal:

falcon409
March 18th, 2016, 16:53
. . . . . .Have tried to install the AH7 Lynx as well without success so far!
ChipShop
What are you having problems with? I downloaded and installed it no problem at all as there is no real installation other than moving everything to it's proper folders. None of the gauges are compatible, so those must be replaced and the same alpha I posted for the "Future Lynx", works for this one also to clear up the glass. Otherwise it appears to probably have the same FDE as all the things I saw in the Future version are present with this one.

Honestly, other than a different VC panel and different nose. . .they're the same helicopter in every respect (at least to me), lol.

Timmy74
March 18th, 2016, 22:37
This from the readme:

STARTING & SHUTDOWN : Use ctrl-shift-F4 to start the engines, not ctrl-e. Shut them down with ctrl-shift-F1. Expert users may wish to follow the realistic procedure outlined in the checklist.

Yeah did that too and still no go!?! She just shuts down when I go to throttle up!

I have given up on this one!!

ChipShop
March 18th, 2016, 22:38
Hi falcon,
Yes, that's the problem that I came up with, it completely messed up the order of my other aircraft files; so I had all of my aircraft listings AFTER the Alpha AH7 Lynx, with the thumbnail image Not matching the aircraft description, a real pain in the rear!
I didn't get around to flying it, will try again later! I'll apply the Lynx fix as well!
Maybe, if I insert some thumbnail images in the texture files; would that sort out the order of things perhaps ?
All the best,
ChipShop👍😉

ChipShop
March 18th, 2016, 23:53
All is not lost! Well, not quite yet:biggrin-new:
An updated version IS available from here:- http://simviation.com/1/browse-Helicopters-56-12
It installs without any problems, flies a little better (I think); only downside is that there's NO Royal Navy version!
Have a try guys and see what you think!
ChipShop:encouragement:

ChipShop
March 19th, 2016, 01:41
Okay, here's the progress I've made; I did add thumbnail images to the texture files and that seemed to do the trick, all aircraft listings are back in their correct order!:encouragement:
If i'm honest, I think the AH-7 version with update, handles better than the Mk8 'future' Lynx! (Which as it turns out, you get one in the AH-7 package anyway).
I'm quite happy with it now; not sure why you're still having troubles with it though Tim:indecisiveness:?
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36212&stc=1
ChipShop:loyal:

falcon409
March 19th, 2016, 04:31
Yeah did that too and still no go!?! She just shuts down when I go to throttle up!

I have given up on this one!!
Only other suggestion I would have is to grab one of the default Heli's. Shut it down completely (all switches, levers, etc. off) and save as your default flight. Restart the sim and load that flight with the cold and dark Heli, then switch to the Lynx and try to start. Beyond that I am at a loss as to why you're having problems. Since no one else has reported a similar problem, I'm guessing something about your setup (what is loaded when you start your Sim) is causing it. Usually it's some parameters left over from a previous flight that carry over to the next aircraft, that's why setting up a default flight with a similar aircraft seems to help many times.

jetstreamsky
March 19th, 2016, 17:37
Yes. . .(although speeding along at 180kts also seems a bit misplaced, lol).

180 knots is about right

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/the-equipment/aircraft/helicopters/lynx-mk8 (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/the-equipment/aircraft/helicopters/lynx-mk8)

SkippyBing
March 19th, 2016, 19:12
180 knots is about right

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/the-equipment/aircraft/helicopters/lynx-mk8 (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/the-equipment/aircraft/helicopters/lynx-mk8)

Ha ha, no idea what the RN website is claiming but I've never seen more than about 140kts out of a HAS3 and 135kts out of an HMA8 above that the shaking is unbearable, the gauges are redlining and the fuel consumption gets silly. Worth noting the speed record holding Lynx wasn't a normal machine and could barely hover due to the control rigging.