PDA

View Full Version : Work In Progress: Eastern Sierra Nevada, California

gman5250
March 9th, 2016, 06:26
For those who enjoy the simulator outside of the "Office".

There are those who argue that one should never fly outside of the cockpit, or that nothing exists outside of the departure or arrival airports. I differ from this rather limiting perspective, maintaining that flight simulation now presents the virtual pilot with endless opportunity to experience the world in all of its virtual majesty.

I thought it might be appropriate to share this video now that I am closing in on a release date for my works in progress.

KMMH Mammoth Yosemite Airport and the "Silver Divide". My work focuses on achieving the maximum balance of virtual reality and performance in existing flight simulator platforms. The video is an example of what can be achieved with high resolution satellite imagery and hyper accurate autogen placement.

The autogen is a beta version that I am developing in conjunction with the scenery. I hand paint the texture sheets utilizing alpha settings that render vegetation with a much more natural appearance while improving FPS.

Aircraft:
The session was flown at the outer threshold of the performance envelope in Lionheart Creations "Blade", which is a wonderful little airplane for "exploring".

Music:
Free to Soar
by Katherine Peterson

A Little Heaven
Daniel Ho

Bags End
Kurt Oldman

Celebration Day
Michael Maina

The piece is meant to be an inspiration for virtual pilots, music begins at minute 6:00. Rendered in 1080p High Def which I highly recommend for viewing.

Please realize this is a WIP, not a finished project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH6fGuyOAgM

Flyboy208
March 9th, 2016, 06:38
Brilliant work Gordon ! Mike :ernaehrung004:

Daube
March 9th, 2016, 06:48
I couldn't resist taking a look at a few parts of the video, even though I'm still in the office :P
Your scenery looks fantastic. I can't really say it any better than this.

How did you place the trees ? Did you really place everything by hand, or did you use some tools which detect the trees on the pictures ? (like AgenT)

gman5250
March 9th, 2016, 06:57
I couldn't resist taking a look at a few parts of the video, even though I'm still in the office :P
Your scenery looks fantastic. I can't really say it any better than this.

How did you place the trees ? Did you really place everything by hand, or did you use some tools which detect the trees on the pictures ? (like AgenT)

Thanks Daube...it's all placed by hand. I use a Wacom pen and tablet which makes things move quickly, but it is definitely time intensive. One problem with automated AGN detection is that it does not account for altitude. I place my vegetation taking altitude into account.

stovall
March 9th, 2016, 07:11
Fantastic work Gordon. Can't wait to experience the flight myself. Also looking forward to you Reno area update. Thanks

txnetcop
March 9th, 2016, 10:57
WOW..picking my jaw up off the floor!:applause:
Ted

roger-wilco-66
March 9th, 2016, 11:08
Brilliant work!

Cheers,
Mark

Dimus
March 9th, 2016, 11:11
Fantastic work Gordon! For us petty scenery makers, I should say, inspiring!

TuFun
March 9th, 2016, 11:22
WOW!!! So real it's unreal! Cool name for your project house! :encouragement:

How did Thomas Jefferson get in there? :biggrin-new: At 5:00... having some fun!

PhantomP
March 9th, 2016, 11:33
simply,breathtaking,thanks for sharing it,and looking foward to the finished project.:very_drunk:

gman5250
March 9th, 2016, 12:16
How did Thomas Jefferson get in there?

Well...I'm an admirer of TJ and subliminals rock....get it?...rock. :biggrin-new:

TuFun
March 9th, 2016, 12:27
Well...I'm an admirer of TJ and subliminals rock....get it?...rock. :biggrin-new:

LOL!!! Just realized the TJ quote... synchronicity in play! :adoration:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35856&stc=1

airattackimages
March 9th, 2016, 15:12
Stunning! I've done similar on a much, much smaller scale... But your work is obviously worlds ahead looking at all your terrain/mesh so perfectly levelled for all those alpine lakes. That looks like weeks of work. Talk about immersion. This is one of my favorite areas of California in real life, and to see it looking that real in flight sim was a real joy to behold. It looks exactly like this.

I wish I had a computer that would run that! I'd fly there every day!