PDA

View Full Version : Airtanker stuff

Daveroo
March 8th, 2016, 19:25
This is a photo off the NIFC facebook page,its of Firefighters training at the shop for the CalFire aircraft.its located at MCC in Sacramento Ca.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35823&stc=1

Daveroo
March 8th, 2016, 19:26
i hadnt realised the S2Ts still had the operating wing fold.

tankerguy72
March 8th, 2016, 20:05
Yeah the only time Ive seen their wings folded is in the hangar at MCC. They just moved three S-2Gs from the boneyard to MCC to build a new S-2T to replace the one they lost on 10-7-2014

Daveroo
March 9th, 2016, 08:19
where is their boneyard at?...id like to see it from google earth....thanks...BTW weve gotten 4.77" of rain at my home since friday at noon,and it didnt rain at all sunday,it did rain about 3 hours sunday/monday morn,but hasnt rained since then....12 or so hrs friday/saturday early am.then around 11am until 4am sunday morning.......so like 32 hours total????

anyway,will all this rain promote rapide ,heavy fuel growth?.....making the fire danger even worse than in those really dry years?...or will the fuels retain enough moisture to decrease the danger levels?

this CDF BC i used to know,,,suppose i still know him,just dont see him much,,lol..who always told us that late winter rains would just create/promote growth,then late fire season rains would do nothing to lower the fire danger..would instead just know dust and dirt off the fuels to create a drier situation....never did know if he was correct or not.

tankerguy72
March 9th, 2016, 10:08
There's a yard owned by United Aeronautical corp near Davis Monthan I believe they have the largest number of mothballed trackers and parts.

With the new growth from the rains it should have an impact when it starts drying for the summer. I have heard from a few people that during the heat of the summer months the vegetation doesn't absorb as much water because they're in a hybernation like mode. I've seen it here when we get our summer thunder storms we get fires even with the rain coming down. Obviously not with a prolonged downpour though.

airattackimages
March 9th, 2016, 15:17
i hadnt realised the S2Ts still had the operating wing fold.

I'm pretty sure it requires wrenching and manually folding them. I believe the motors and cockpit controls are long removed.

Daveroo
March 9th, 2016, 19:33
Bill Gaberts fireaviation.com has a Cal Fire lineup for the 2016 season.and a couple of good articals.