PDA

View Full Version : Screw'd up my DLL.xml file

ian elliot
March 5th, 2016, 14:46
While opening up my Dll.xml to check something out ( getting my Simworks F4 to work, but thats another story :mixed-smiley-010: ), i seem to have accidentally saved it in note pad and i cant get it back to how it was, anything that use's FSUIPC4 and most of my SDK's seems to be screw'd, ive only been messing with this stuff for 10 years, i should know better by now :dizzy: i think its lack of coffee, is there any hope or have i some serious reinstalling to do,
Or if anyone out there has roughly the same application's, maybe i could use a copy.

cheers ian

henrystreet
March 5th, 2016, 15:00
Looks like you somehow have lost the program association to open xml files in notepad as it is opening in Internet Explorer. Find the dll.xml file, then right click it. From the menu, find "Open with..." and select notepad. That should change the program association back to notepad.

ian elliot
March 5th, 2016, 22:59
Thanks Harry, been playing with your advice, if i save in notepad,( saving as "save as type-all file's, with an xml extension ) it just become's a notepad doc, not recognized by anything. Ive lost FSUIPC4, its still in my modules folder but not recognized and everything associated with it is dead,
Including Instant scenery and links with other programs like ADEX and SBuilder, I know i have no one to blame but myself for this mess but i'll be a little more careful about what i install the future.

seriously considering reinstalling everthing, cheers ian

TARPSBird
March 5th, 2016, 23:40
Ian, this thread from the FlightSim FSX forum might be helpful:
http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?213499-My-dll-xml-default-file-is-damaged
Scroll down to the third post (from f16jockey_2) and look at his dll.xml file. You still have the basic line entries from your file but not in the XML format. Try copying his file and substitute your info as needed, then save as dll.xml .

dhazelgrove
March 6th, 2016, 02:00
You might want to download a small Notepad replacement, called Notepad++ available here (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/).
It deals with XML files quite happily.

Dave

ian elliot
March 6th, 2016, 03:23
Thanks for the imput guys, but the biggest problem is, i can only save in internet explorer, regardless of what ever steps i take, ive just check'd Start-default programs-set your default programs, and made sure xml box is tick'd in the Wordpad-chose defaults for this program list and made sure there's no xml in the list for Internet explorer, but no luck, i can still only save in IE,
Strangely, ive check'd a few other xml file's, although also openned in IE, they still retain the xml format and seem to still work, its just this Dll file thats bugging me

cheers ian

henrystreet
March 6th, 2016, 03:25
Thanks Harry, been playing with your advice, if i save in notepad,( saving as "save as type-all file's, with an xml extension ) it just become's a notepad doc, not recognized by anything. Ive lost FSUIPC4, its still in my modules folder but not recognized and everything associated with it is dead,
Including Instant scenery and links with other programs like ADEX and SBuilder, I know i have no one to blame but myself for this mess but i'll be a little more careful about what i install the future.

seriously considering reinstalling everthing, cheers ian

A couple of ways to handle this: 1) find the "dll.txt" file and rename it to "dll.xml" or 2) when you get the file browse box while saving, change the file name to "dll.xml"

DaveB
March 6th, 2016, 03:34
That should work;)

What I always do with these is use 'Open with' then choose Notepad on each occasion. Double clicking on an XML will almost always make it open in explorer.
Notepad is fine for looking at and sometimes changing XML files but it doesn't format correctly (you can't guarantee the end result). Notepad++ as already mentioned is an excellent tool that's also useful for editing mdl files;)
ATB
DaveB:)

hschuit
March 6th, 2016, 03:59
Ian, based on your screenshot I reconstructed the dll.xml file - see attachment. If it works it might be wise to start making regular backups of your FSX install ?

ian elliot
March 6th, 2016, 04:47
Success, thanks hschuit, im back up and running and most importantly FSUIPC seems to be operating ok.

thanks again everybody :wavey:, i didnt even know that Dll file existed until last night

Lane Street
March 6th, 2016, 09:28
Ian,

Glad to hear you sorted this out.

I noticed one thing...

...made sure xml box is tick'd in the Wordpad-chose defaults for this program list ...

Don't use Wordpad, or Word, to edit any FS files.

Those programs can add formatting characters to files that can cause problems with .XML and .cfg files.

Stick to Notepad, or Notepad++, which I also like.

cheers,
Lane

TARPSBird
March 6th, 2016, 11:18
Ian, glad you're back up and running. :encouragement: