PDA

View Full Version : How can these two Dell monitors look so different?

expat
March 1st, 2016, 06:06
Baffled and amazed. I got a new pair of Dell 24" P2414H Screens at work. They totally blow away my older Dell 24" with the exact same resolution (1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz) that I have at home and run FSX on. Thought it might be 'cause the new ones have HDMI connections so changed the one at home and it looked different but not quite as awesome as the work Dells. Now running FSX at home and watching it at work over TeamViewer - and the image coming out here on the newer work Dells, even over TeamViewer - is just incredible. Screenie below. Will check out comparative specs, but I would have thought they would have similar graphics quality - notwithstanding one is 3-4 years older - with similar spec and (digital) connections.

Appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Perplexed . .

http://s17.postimg.org/h66o8sxf3/Untitled.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/6w499k7jf/full/)

CodyValkyrie
March 1st, 2016, 07:05
I just picked up some ViewSonic monitors and was having the same issue. It was only after an hour of fiddling that I realized it was just positioning. The monitors I am using are sensitive to POV, and once I adjusted for that, they balanced perfectly. Perhaps this is the same case? Even then, the view is amazing compared to my old ACER monitors that are only a few years old. Technology has increased quickly, and so the price has dropped substantially. Even a few year old monitors can't compare to what's on the market today for clarity and definition.

Wingmate
March 1st, 2016, 07:32
It could also be that your monitors at work are colour calibrated or has better colour gamut than your older monitor.

expat
March 1st, 2016, 07:48
Thanks guys. Unfortunately like so many things, research suggests it could a lot of different fiddly time consuming things. I did find the the new screens have a much higher contrast ratio which should make a difference. I think otherwise it is color calibration, which I know nothing about. I did play with the Gamma adjustment and that makes big differences. Which there was an idiot button to press to optimize it all. I have the old - less good looking - screen running through a fairly high end GTX 780 factory over-clocked and high end i7 Haswell 4770 pc, but the much cheaper office rig wins the prize. Any monitor experts around please chime in. Otherwise, I am giving the old Dell to the Missus and getting another one of these newer ones . .

roger-wilco-66
March 1st, 2016, 07:59
The P2414H has an IPS (in plane switching) panel, which are far superior to the older twisted nematic (TN) panels.

I almost bought that monitor, but decided to buy an ASUS ProArt 27" WQHD monitor because of my photographic work. This is the best monitor I have ever had so far and works really good with P3D / FSX because of its good black levels and great color rendition.

Cheers,
Mark

Obie311
March 1st, 2016, 08:02
Expat, I'm in the market for a new monitor. What are the physical dimension of the P2414H?

expat
March 1st, 2016, 11:00
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-P2414H-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00EMB4KVI

Naismith
March 1st, 2016, 15:23
I have 3 Acers (all the same model & bought at the same time - Costco special deal!) and 2 are significantly brighter than the third. No amount of fiddling has resolved it. No point in returning it as I have never seen the same monitors in Costco since and now it's out of warranty anyway.

As an aside, one has developed a shadow along the bottom edge in the area where I used to have a Saitek panel placed. I am guessing it was caused possibly by magnetism or something. Does anyone know a good way to fix it. The area still works it is just a pest. It's about 3 inches long and 1/2 tall.

Jafo
March 1st, 2016, 16:46
As an aside, one has developed a shadow along the bottom edge in the area where I used to have a Saitek panel placed. I am guessing it was caused possibly by magnetism or something. Does anyone know a good way to fix it. The area still works it is just a pest. It's about 3 inches long and 1/2 tall.

Magnetic interference is something particular to CRTs, not LCDs, however they do effectively suffer from a ghosting akin to burn-in. I don't believe 'degaussing' would do anything for it.
An LCD permanently displaying a static image can 'ghost'....;)