PDA

View Full Version : Coral and dirt runway textures

shphawk
February 27th, 2016, 03:03
Hi Everyone.

The stock runway textures have been driving me crazy for as long as I remember. I'm not much of a painter, but I decided to give it a shot. So far, I am pleased with the results, but I'm looking for some no BS feedback.. Once I'm satisfied I will gladly upload them for everyone else. I had to increase the size of the textures to get more detail. Unfortunately, they don't look much better from the ground, but the texture would have to be 10,000 pixels squared to accomplish that. Lol. The coral needs more detail, but it's a start. Thanks for taking a look and for the feedback.

ShpHawK
Chuck

Worthless
February 27th, 2016, 07:35
shphawk.....I like both, but especially the dirt field. The coral in CFS2 has always seemed too bright to me, but then I've never actually seen a coral strip. It's just that some of the color pictures seem to reflect a grayish/white tint. For all I know there may be a number of color variations at the numerous airfields around the south Pacific.

baldy
February 27th, 2016, 07:47
Looking good -- I'd certainly take them -- now if someone could just do a halfway decent tex for a psp ( pierced steel plate ) runway

baldy

Captain Kurt
February 27th, 2016, 08:25
Both are improvements, especially the dirt. I would suggest making the worn track down the center of the dirt wider, like 75%-80% of the runway but otherwise, very nice. Like Baldy said, the psp texture is the worst of all of the stock runways, but that one will be a real bear to get looking right.

Allen
February 27th, 2016, 15:33
Not likeing the dirt. The coral looks too ruff.

shphawk
February 27th, 2016, 15:50
shphawk.....I like both, but especially the dirt field. The coral in CFS2 has always seemed too bright to me, but then I've never actually seen a coral strip. It's just that some of the color pictures seem to reflect a grayish/white tint. For all I know there may be a number of color variations at the numerous airfields around the south Pacific.
Thanks Worthless. I agree that they seem very bright. It's difficult to find pics of a coral runway. When I search I found Honolulu which has a coral threshold, or able runway which looks gray. None of the pictures show enough detail. If you or anyone else has better pics, I'll see what I can do. Thanks again.

Chuck

gaucho_59
February 27th, 2016, 16:11
Thanks Worthless. I agree that they seem very bright. It's difficult to find pics of a coral runway. When I search I found Honolulu which has a coral threshold, or able runway which looks gray. None of the pictures show enough detail. If you or anyone else has better pics, I'll see what I can do. Thanks again.

Chuck

I know I can do it... I did it before for someone in CFS 3...

G.

shphawk
February 27th, 2016, 16:45
Looking good -- I'd certainly take them -- now if someone could just do a halfway decent tex for a psp ( pierced steel plate ) runway

baldy

I just might give it a shot. There is plenty of pics to go from. Thanks Baldy.

Chuck

shphawk
February 27th, 2016, 16:51
Both are improvements, especially the dirt. I would suggest making the worn track down the center of the dirt wider, like 75%-80% of the runway but otherwise, very nice. Like Baldy said, the psp texture is the worst of all of the stock runways, but that one will be a real bear to get looking right.

Thanks Capt. I appreciate the feedback. I'll see what happens. What do you guys think the absolute max texture size should be? I had to go 1024 x 1024 just to get the detail that I have. For the psp to look right, I may have to double that.

Chuck

gaucho_59
February 27th, 2016, 17:31
Thanks Capt. I appreciate the feedback. I'll see what happens. What do you guys think the absolute max texture size should be? I had to go 1024 x 1024 just to get the detail that I have. For the psp to look right, I may have to double that.

Chuck

Like I said... if you post the tile... I can make the texture...

to wit:

This shows the PSP superimposed on a grass background... the texture is without grass...

G.

shphawk
February 27th, 2016, 22:34
Not likeing the dirt. The coral looks too ruff.

Hi Allen. Thanks for the feedback. It's difficult to get decent detail The runway is such a big object even with a 1024x1024 texture, I am right on the verge of everything looking pixelated. I'm still working on the coral. I will post more pics soon.

Chuck

shphawk
February 27th, 2016, 22:40
Like I said... if you post the tile... I can make the texture...

to wit:

This shows the PSP superimposed on a grass background... the texture is without grass...

G.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Thanks to a drunk driver, I spent most of the evening without power. Here you go.

Chuck

Allen
February 27th, 2016, 23:18
Hi Allen. Thanks for the feedback. It's difficult to get decent detail The runway is such a big object even with a 1024x1024 texture, I am right on the verge of everything looking pixelated. I'm still working on the coral. I will post more pics soon.

Chuck

Your never going to get the ground/runway to look good at ground level. It is just too large. If you get it looking okay at ground level it will look bad at Altitude.

shphawk
February 27th, 2016, 23:57
Your never going to get the ground/runway to look good at ground level. It is just too large. If you get it looking okay at ground level it will look bad at Altitude.

True that. I'm uploading another coral pic. I haven't softened it yet, but I added some detail. It helps, I need to work on the color. I'm attaching a pic of North Field on Tinian. It looks almost gray. After doing this, my hats off to the guys at MS for accomplishing what they did with the PSP texture being only 256x256.

gaucho_59
February 28th, 2016, 04:40
Sorry for taking so long to reply. Thanks to a drunk driver, I spent most of the evening without power. Here you go.

Chuck

Your attachment, I am afraid I am too dumb to kow how to download it...
can you make a zip file of it and place like you did the picture? As it is,
I cannot even see it full size... The detail in my version would still be
the same or nearly the same at 256 colors... it really does not use too many colors at all...

I am really interested in producing something nice... the stock PSP textures in the sim suck!
BTW... your coral job really looks good!

Thanks in advance...
G.

P.S.: also, please mark somehow what each of those perforated looking represent... I see a long longitudinal and 2 small horizontal...
what are they.. also.. the grey background... what does it do? I can produce a relatively, HIGHLY detailed 256 color tile...
am pretty good with PSP x8 and Photoshop...

shphawk
February 28th, 2016, 06:59
the same or nearly the same at 256 colors... it really does not use too many colors at all...

I am really interested in producing something nice... the stock PSP textures in the sim suck!

Thanks in advance...
G.

P.S.: also, please mark somehow what each of those perforated looking represent... I see a long longitudinal and 2 small horizontal...
what are they.. also.. the grey background... what does it do? I can produce a relatively, HIGHLY detailed 256 color tile...

Thanks Gaucho. I will zip it and post it as soon as I am on my computer again. That might be this evening. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I'll explain everything in a text inside the zip.

ShpHawK
Chuck

Worthless
February 28th, 2016, 16:28
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35548&stc=1

Here you go shphawk. This is the best I could find.

No Dice
February 28th, 2016, 17:26
Looking great guys,

I attempted many years back and gave up, The steal mesh
will be something that is much needed.

Thumbs up to all of you helping with this project.

Dave

shphawk
February 29th, 2016, 00:38
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35548&stc=1

Here you go shphawk. This is the best I could find.

Thanks again Worthless. The first time I saw the color, I thought people would complain if I went that dark. I think I'm going to make a couple of different versions. I actually thought that replacing some of the runways wouldn't be that hard. Then I could add a few more different textures. I'll keep posting screens. Thanks again for the photo.

Chuck

shphawk
February 29th, 2016, 00:39
Looking great guys,

I attempted many years back and gave up, The steal mesh
will be something that is much needed.

Thumbs up to all of you helping with this project.

Dave

Thanks Mr. No Dice.

shphawk
February 29th, 2016, 00:46

Thanks in advance...
G.

Better late than never. Here you go man. I cant wait to see. Anything else I can do, let me know.

Chuck

gaucho_59
February 29th, 2016, 10:17
Better late than never. Here you go man. I cant wait to see. Anything else I can do, let me know.

Chuck

here it is superimposed on the bmp you sent...

Let me know what you think... I can attach the file if you want to test it...

G.

To wit:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1510/25264442922_d29d27a82b_o.jpg

shphawk
February 29th, 2016, 12:14
here it is superimposed on the bmp you sent...

Let me know what you think... I can attach the file if you want to test it...

G.

To wit:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1510/25264442922_d29d27a82b_o.jpg

It looks great. I would love to test it and play with the alpha channel. We may need a couple variations. I'm going to try to modify a couple of the default runways to take a different texture so that we can add a few extra textures. Thanks again Gaucho. Really nice work.

Chuck

gaucho_59
February 29th, 2016, 12:23
It looks great. I would love to test it and play with the alpha channel. We may need a couple variations. I'm going to try to modify a couple of the default runways to take a different texture so that we can add a few extra textures. Thanks again Gaucho. Really nice work.

Chuck

No problem... will post
G.

gaucho_59
February 29th, 2016, 18:49
Let me know how it works...
Cheers,

G.

shphawk
February 29th, 2016, 20:26
Cheers,

G.

I think it looks great. I will post some screens as soon as I am able. Thanks Gaucho, again. I could not have done so well. I can't wait to hear what everyone has to say.

Chuck

shphawk
March 1st, 2016, 16:05
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35597&stc=1
Cheers,

G.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35597&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35598&stc=1

Here are the screens. I can't wait to hear what other people think. Thanks again, Gaucho. The alpha channel is still a work in progress as is my scenery. lol

ShpHawK
Chuck

shphawk
March 2nd, 2016, 02:16
Here's a couple screens of the gray coral. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35600&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35601&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35602&stc=1

kelticheart
March 2nd, 2016, 02:22
:applause: :applause: :applause:

WOW!!! Those runway textures look like a 100% improvement over the stock ones!

Isn't it incredible? There's always room for improvement with CFS2! :redfire:

KH

No Dice
March 2nd, 2016, 05:59
I am Luvin that steel mesh, WOWzers,

Dave

kdriver
March 2nd, 2016, 06:27
The appearance of the Marston matting looks good but the scale is much too large. Each plank was 10 feet long and 15 inches wide. The holes were about 3 inches in diameter. There were 29 holes in each of the 3 rows per plank.

Unfortunately, if the scale is reduced, Gaucho's lovely detail will probably be lost.

Kevin

baldy
March 2nd, 2016, 06:49
Just to chuck my 5 cent's worth in - I was impressed with gaucho's detail but as kdriver says the scale is too large but by adapting gaucho's bmp and using it to make a runway using FS Scenery Creator I've come up with this

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35605&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35606&stc=1

I haven't tried the stock runway yet but it looks promising and also the alpha channel is not really necessary

baldy

gaucho_59
March 2nd, 2016, 07:19
Just to chuck my 5 cent's worth in - I was impressed with gaucho's detail but as kdriver says the scale is too large but by adapting gaucho's bmp and using it to make a runway using FS Scenery Creator I've come up with this

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35605&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35606&stc=1

I haven't tried the stock runway yet but it looks promising and also the alpha channel is not really necessary

baldy

I have worked these textures practically "in the dark"... if I can be provided with the texture in its "on the sim" final size... (i.e.: the final desired
size...I CAN MAKE THE TEXTURE LOSE LITTLE OR NO DETAIL working vectorially...
that is the secret... vectorial designs DO NO DETERIORATE with resizing... whereas raster layers do!!! So one works vectorially until the last conversion to a raster layer!
But I HAVE TO KNOW the final size of a usable texture (i.e.: what is the biggest size that the sim will use) then reverse engineer it...
Also, WHERE CAN I FIND THE TEXTURE THAT IS TO BE REPLACED IN THE SIM ITSELF... (the place in the sim.. like TEXTUES... or OBJECTS, ETC.
so I can test results myself... then no problem about 29 holes, etc. Like how many rows per plank, etc.

Cheers,
G.

Addendum: I recognize the efforts of all concerned... but as much as it is not easy to "make a silk purse out of a saw's ear"... IT IS VERY EASY TO TURN SAID PURSE BACK
INTO SAW's EAR STANDARDS... if there is not a certain expertise in manipulating images... in other words... provide the info necessary for an artist to perform... THEN IF THE
FINAL RESULT IS NOT THE DESIRED ONE... work one FROM SCRATCH... rather than try to change what is done... for in the end it reflects negatively on the
work spent beforehand... I am not sure I am conveying my thoughts right... PLEASE DON'T ANYBODY TAKE OFFENSE... I AM JUST TRYING TO HELP... BUT DO SO IN THE
APPROPRIATE MANNER... Let me give it a GOOD try before you discard it or adopt it... Changing it in midstream leads only to confusion... I would like to make a texture THAT
IS AN IMPROVEMENT ON THE EXTANT TEXTURE... After all, I will benefit myself finding something nicer than what is available.. lol... Obviously, I lack the expertise on what is
what in the sim... and depend on you all for that... so please help me too... Anyone...

No Dice
March 2nd, 2016, 08:28
Gaucho, baldy, ShpHawk,

Great work and team effort

:applause::jump::applause:

Captain Kurt
March 2nd, 2016, 08:57
Hi Gaucho

I didn't know that about vector versus raster, interesting information. Thanks.

The stock bmp is "runway66.bmp" and it is in the CFS2/TEXTURE folder. The size is 256x256. Maskrider said in his airfield tutorial that you can use 512x512 but after that the image deteriorates.

Perhaps with your painting method you would be able to make it larger. Size should be a multiple of 128, but that was back when Windows 98 was the usual OS. Maybe it wouldn't matter now.

Have fun experimenting.

gaucho_59
March 2nd, 2016, 09:12
Hi Gaucho

I didn't know that about vector versus raster, interesting information. Thanks.

The stock bmp is "runway66.bmp" and it is in the CFS2/TEXTURE folder. The size is 256x256. Maskrider said in his airfield tutorial that you can use 512x512 but after that the image deteriorates.

Perhaps with your painting method you would be able to make it larger. Size should be a multiple of 128, but that was back when Windows 98 was the usual OS. Maybe it wouldn't matter now.

Have fun experimenting.

This clarifies things a little bit... I will see what can be done once I see the texture in 256 x 256... what about the colors... does it have to be 256 colors or can it be higher def color?
As far as multiples... and therein the problem... If the sim accepts a larger image... but resizes it itself... it will obviously deteriorate in detail... because the method of resizing will be pretty primitive..
ergo... it will be better to do the final copy in 256 x 256... THIS IS THE MAIN PROBLEM WITH A LOT OF ATTEMPTS TO USE LARGER SIZES... the sim method to resize if very primitive... so
the original might be to the level my last attempt was (pretty good detail for 256 colors) but in the sim resizing... it suffers...
Now I think I can attack the problem more in the "daylight"... lol
In the final analysis the goal is to get as good a definition as it is possible in the small size as final size... then the sim just "prints" what it "sees"...

Cheers,
G.

gaucho_59
March 2nd, 2016, 11:04
This clarifies things a little bit... I will see what can be done once I see the texture in 256 x 256... what about the colors... does it have to be 256 colors or can it be higher def color?
As far as multiples... and therein the problem... If the sim accepts a larger image... but resizes it itself... it will obviously deteriorate in detail... because the method of resizing will be pretty primitive..
ergo... it will be better to do the final copy in 256 x 256... THIS IS THE MAIN PROBLEM WITH A LOT OF ATTEMPTS TO USE LARGER SIZES... the sim method to resize if very primitive... so
the original might be to the level my last attempt was (pretty good detail for 256 colors) but in the sim resizing... it suffers...
Now I think I can attack the problem more in the "daylight"... lol
In the final analysis the goal is to get as good a definition as it is possible in the small size as final size... then the sim just "prints" what it "sees"...

Cheers,
G.

Couple of items... it seems like a MISSION IMPOSSIBLE working with the actual sim texture... way too small... by the way... when I open it (it looks all gray in the previews) it comes up with that sandy background and all kinds of
colors on the matting... what gives? I really don't understand how the sim collates the tiles... also... but I see on the examples shown that there is some way to make the textures I came up with work... notwithstanding the problem
with the scale of the holes.... what is the secret? There is something technical I am not getting or know... lol
I'd still like to see the ACTUAL SIZE tile being used... like actual size, colors, etc.
Cheers,
G.

shphawk
March 2nd, 2016, 13:01
Couple of items... it seems like a MISSION IMPOSSIBLE working with the actual sim texture... way too small... by the way... when I open it (it looks all gray in the previews) it comes up with that sandy background and all kinds of
colors on the matting... what gives? I really don't understand how the sim collates the tiles... also... but I see on the examples shown that there is some way to make the textures I came up with work... notwithstanding the problem
with the scale of the holes.... what is the secret? There is something technical I am not getting or know... lol
I'd still like to see the ACTUAL SIZE tile being used... like actual size, colors, etc.
Cheers,
G.

Gaucho,

That's how it looked without the alpha channel. You see everything. With the alpha channel all that extra stuff disappears . Also, 1024 x 1024 is the max size.

Chuck

gaucho_59
March 2nd, 2016, 13:14
Gaucho,

That's how it looked without the alpha channel. You see everything. With the alpha channel all that extra stuff disappears . Also, 1024 x 1024 is the max size.

Chuck

that the texture that is placed on the TEXTURE can be that big??? at 256 colors? If so then it is only a matter of figuring out what the dimensions for each plank should be...
Am I following you right? At any rate, you seem to know how things operate in the sim... just give me a sample with the right colors and I will do it for you... so you
can play with it... btw... I notice some stuff on the upper right side of your screen shots that doesn't look like the CFS 2 I got...

G.

shphawk
March 2nd, 2016, 17:51
that the texture that is placed on the TEXTURE can be that big??? at 256 colors? If so then it is only a matter of figuring out what the dimensions for each plank should be...
Am I following you right? At any rate, you seem to know how things operate in the sim... just give me a sample with the right colors and I will do it for you... so you
can play with it... btw... I notice some stuff on the upper right side of your screen shots that doesn't look like the CFS 2 I got...

G.

I only know from trial and error. I actually tried 4096 x 4096 to see if it would work, but 1024 is the biggest. I think you are following/ understanding perfectly. It's all about finding the right size. Know that you are right at the limit though. It would be easier if the texture could be even bigger, but atleast it's not 256 x 256. Don't forget, when all is said and done it going to get converted back to 16 bit extended 444-1 when we reapply the alpha channel. Thanks for all your effort Gaucho.

PS that stuff on the upper right is just a HUD mod. I'm not even sure whose it is as there are a few out there.

Chuck

gaucho_59
March 2nd, 2016, 20:22
I only know from trial and error. I actually tried 4096 x 4096 to see if it would work, but 1024 is the biggest. I think you are following/ understanding perfectly. It's all about finding the right size. Know that you are right at the limit though. It would be easier if the texture could be even bigger, but atleast it's not 256 x 256. Don't forget, when all is said and done it going to get converted back to 16 bit extended 444-1 when we reapply the alpha channel. Thanks for all your effort Gaucho.

PS that stuff on the upper right is just a HUD mod. I'm not even sure whose it is as there are a few out there.

Chuck

please correct me if I am wrong... you are saying that the final texture to be inserted as a new one... can be an extended bmp with alpha... 1024X780? and the alpha is just pure black except for the areas with the PSP planks?
(I think that 1024 in 8bit 64,000 colors can render a very detailed image) Now then, one final bit of info: in terms of scare... the width of the swathe in grey... is the actual strip.... right? and that represents how many planks in
terms of properly scaled width? If so, I have then to scale the individual planks... like 10 of so feet by 36 inches... (I can find the actual size of PSP Mardsen mats from the net...)... right? or am I all wrong...LOL...
G.

shphawk
March 2nd, 2016, 20:38
please correct me if I am wrong... you are saying that the final texture to be inserted as a new one... can be an extended bmp with alpha... 1024X780? and the alpha is just pure black except for the areas with the PSP planks?
(I think that 1024 in 8bit 64,000 colors can render a very detailed image) Now then, one final bit of info: in terms of scare... the width of the swathe in grey... is the actual strip.... right? and that represents how many planks in
terms of properly scaled width? If so, I have then to scale the individual planks... like 10 of so feet by 36 inches... (I can find the actual size of PSP Mardsen mats from the net...)... right? or am I all wrong...LOL...
G.

1024 squared, otherwise precisely. There are still companies that sell Marsden mats. The width is the swath in gray.

Chuck

baldy
March 3rd, 2016, 00:54
Hi

In my attempts to arrive at a .bmp for the stock airfields I discovered that runway66.bmp in SCENERY is not used but steel_sqare_end.bmp and steel_tile.end.bmp in SCENEDB/runways/texture are

this is the result using the same ( re-named )bmp as I used in my FSSC runway

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35617&stc=1 stock runway http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35618&stc=1 FSSc runway

for the stock runway the detail will have to be considerably smaller - by copying the bmp onto itself in four quarter sized squares I got this

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35619&stc=1

is this OK or do I go smaller ? - anyway here are the bmps for anyone to use or alter ( I must give credit to Gaucho_59 for his excellent original work )

baldy

ps to check the tile size in the game paint a red blob in one corner of the bmp

gaucho_59
March 3rd, 2016, 05:58
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/smilies/jump.gif
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/smilies/applause.gif

Finally something I can work with and half-ass seem to be out of the mysterious darkness of my ignorance...lol

Thanks a lot Baldy,

Cheers,
G.

baldy
March 3rd, 2016, 06:48
Hi Gaucho

Just to be clear - the bmps I uploaded only work with the runways you add to a new mission in Mission Builder, if you want to alter the runways in FreeFlight or other built-in stuff you have to use runway66.bmp in the main Texture folder -- to check results use something like the Midway location in Free Flight - sorry for any confusion but I've only just discovered that myself ( I'm very much a novice about scenery )

baldy

gaucho_59
March 3rd, 2016, 07:47
Hi Gaucho

Just to be clear - the bmps I uploaded only work with the runways you add to a new mission in Mission Builder, if you want to alter the runways in FreeFlight or other built-in stuff you have to use runway66.bmp in the main Texture folder -- to check results use something like the Midway location in Free Flight - sorry for any confusion but I've only just discovered that myself ( I'm very much a novice about scenery )

baldy

Now.... about the size of this runway66.bmp... how large can it be??? (measurements please)... the one in the sim is awfully small and does not allow anything even vectorially...
G.

baldy
March 3rd, 2016, 11:31
Hi Gaucho

the bmp I used is 1024x1024 ( that's the biggest you can go ) I don't think the detail is going to show up when you consider the size of a psp plank in relation to the a/c

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35641&stc=1

maybe you will have more success

baldy

No Dice
March 3rd, 2016, 13:21
baldy

Just FYI, your sig link does not work

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.ph...loadName=baldy
(http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=baldy)

baldy
March 4th, 2016, 00:37
Thanks NoDice - don't know how to fix that -- a job for Rami I think

baldy

shphawk
March 4th, 2016, 21:43
Now.... about the size of this runway66.bmp... how large can it be??? (measurements please)... the one in the sim is awfully small and does not allow anything even vectorially...
G.

For the last several days I have been playing with the psp textures to see what kind of detail can be had with a 1024 x 1024 texture. Even at that size the runway is so big that a 3 inch hole in the mat is the size of 1 pixel. Out of curiosity I decided to make a grid of vertical and horizontal lines 1 pixel wide thinking that the results would be ugly, but would show me the level of detail that is possible. Also, the purpose was to see if I could get the alpha channel to work so that we could see the ground through the PSP. It turns out that a single black (square) pixel renders as round in CFS2 with the alpha channel applied. Here are the results. Obviously, I need to add some detail and am a ways from the finished texture. The last two pics have some rust on them, also just testing.

ShpHawK
Chuck

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35680&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35681&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35682&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35683&stc=1

Cody Coyote
March 5th, 2016, 06:19
I like this shphawk. I think you're on the right track - at least for what I envision.

shphawk
March 5th, 2016, 07:24
I like this shphawk. I think you're on the right track - at least for what I envision.

Thanks Cody Coyote. I appreciate the feedback. Also, thanks for making the campaign guide. I just used it the other day to add wind to a mission.

ShpHawK
Chuck

gaucho_59
March 5th, 2016, 10:04
Thanks Cody Coyote. I appreciate the feedback. Also, thanks for making the campaign guide. I just used it the other day to add wind to a mission.

ShpHawK
Chuck

Perhaps some very tenous dark lines... both vertical and horizontal to create the illusion of plates rather than an extended area of dark holes in a single surface (would do the trick)... please post the last test textures (grey and rusted both) and see what I can come up with.... Also, the rusted areas should probably be more sparse and variegated (as is it seems like a whole bunch of plates rusted together now... and the rest not at all... (highly unlikely in real life)
I recommend using a brush tip appropriately low in density and with low opacity... with selective low Gaussian blur ( which I would like to toy with...) and we can create a the proper optical illusion...
(Many times... the desired effect is created with an optical illusion rather than an actual physical shape... like the dots appearing circular as you explained... or two diagonally opposed pixel squares... on dark one and one light
create the illusion of a bas-relief in depicting very small rivets on aircraft surfaces...
Excellen work!

G.

shphawk
March 6th, 2016, 04:24
Thanks Gaucho. I really appreciate your opinion and help. Here are the latest ones. I'm doing everything in layers so that I can add and take away elements more easily. I added a little OD green as well. I noticed in some pics that the planks are painted, or were at one time.

ShpHawK
Chuck