PDA

View Full Version : GSL Editor problem

shphawk
February 20th, 2016, 05:53
I cannot get the ME to go into GSL edit mode to save my life. I have Lindsay Watt's tutorial and I have hit Ctrl+Alt+Shift+G more times than I can count. Does anyone know why it wouldn't work? Thanks in advance.

ShpHawK
Chuck

No Dice
February 20th, 2016, 06:32
Chuck,

I am a bit confused on what you are asking.

If you open a mission, or create a new mission

You can then save it as GSL scenery, A Gob
by clicking on one object..turning it green
hitting , hold down the shift key and drag a box around
you scenery, they will all turn green
Hit Ctrl+W and save the selected as a Lay ( Layout File )

be sure to also save it as a mission file.

Is that what you are looking for?

Dave

The B24 Guy
February 20th, 2016, 06:56
Hi Shphawk,

There is no indication that you have entered GSL edit mode, or exited it.

So, you have to take care to hit the keys correctly and then just try it to see if you activated it.

Regards,
B24Guy

Worthless
February 20th, 2016, 07:15
I know exactly what you mean shphawk. I got Lindsay's shortcut system (cfs2_gsl_readme) to work once, and only once. After that one time I never got it to activate the GSL.
Martin Wright has one (GSL Scenery Design-For Combat Flight Simulator 2-Tools and Techniques) that works though, and that's what I finally found works for me . I'm pretty sure you will have to send him an email and request this zip file.
Go to...http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/
Look down the left side of the page for "Developers Corner". You'll find "CFS2 GSL Tools"and a note about emailing him to request this tool. He was generous enough to send me his tool in response. I expect this still holds.

UncleTgt
February 20th, 2016, 07:42
I agree with Worthless. Get hold of Martin Wright's gsl tool & you won't be struggling anymore.... it is an excellent piece of software.:medals:

MaskRider
February 20th, 2016, 10:46
Yes, Martins's GSLEdit tool is excellent so long as you're not trying to add a huge layout that needs to be split up into 12 or 14 parts by GOB Check first in order to get it loaded into the GSL.

The nice thing about the MB GSL editor is that it will add a huge layout all in one nice easy step. I have never had any issues with it myself.

As B-24Guy pointed out you just need to make sure you hit the keys correctly.

Don't get me wrong. I use Martins tools all the time. As I am fiddling and piddling around with a new scenery- individual airfields and such- GOBCheck and GSLEdit are the perfect tools. But when I am ready to finally put everything together into one big layout and created distribute-able GSL for a scenery pack I always use MB's GSL editor.

One thing to keep somewhat in mind when using MB GSL Editor is that it adds to whatever is there. Martin's tools overwrite whatever is there.

Whenever you are ready to add a combined layout to the GSL via MB GSL editor, always start with an empty GSL.

MR

UncleTgt
February 20th, 2016, 12:57
Chris,

You make some good points. Each program has its strengths (and weaknesses). I just found Martin's program more user-friendly.

MaskRider
February 20th, 2016, 13:11
True, they are much more user friendly. MB GSL Edit is downright anti-social. With MB GSL Editor you need to have faith that it is doing its thing because it isn't gonna tell ya anything.

MR

Allen
February 20th, 2016, 13:23
If you want to know if you have gotten into GSL edit mode try to save the GSL (Ctrl+Alt+S). If your not in GSL editing mode you will get a pop up warning saying you can't save. Once in GSL edit mode you get no info that you have saved/updated the GSL.

CFS2 will not change the cfs2.gsl tell you move a GSL object or add a new object. The best way to know that you save took place is to check the Date Modified of the cfs2.gsl.

shphawk
February 20th, 2016, 18:28
Chuck,

I am a bit confused on what you are asking.

If you open a mission, or create a new mission

You can then save it as GSL scenery, A Gob
by clicking on one object..turning it green
hitting , hold down the shift key and drag a box around
you scenery, they will all turn green
Hit Ctrl+W and save the selected as a Lay ( Layout File )

be sure to also save it as a mission file.

Is that what you are looking for?

Dave

Thanks No Dice. While that's not exactly what I was hoping for, it is a step in the right direction. I want to be able to edit the stock gsl as well as create new layouts. Following your advice, atleast I am able to now create and save GSL. Thanks for your time.

Chuck

shphawk
February 20th, 2016, 18:31
Hi Shphawk,

There is no indication that you have entered GSL edit mode, or exited it.

So, you have to take care to hit the keys correctly and then just try it to see if you activated it.

Regards,
B24Guy

Supposedly, when you edit stock gsl you can get stock infrastructure to show up in MB with icons once gsl edit mode is activated. I have been unsuccessful at this. Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.

Chuck

shphawk
February 20th, 2016, 18:38
I know exactly what you mean shphawk. I got Lindsay's shortcut system (cfs2_gsl_readme) to work once, and only once. After that one time I never got it to activate the GSL.
Martin Wright has one (GSL Scenery Design-For Combat Flight Simulator 2-Tools and Techniques) that works though, and that's what I finally found works for me . I'm pretty sure you will have to send him an email and request this zip file.
Go to...http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/
Look down the left side of the page for "Developers Corner". You'll find "CFS2 GSL Tools"and a note about emailing him to request this tool. He was generous enough to send me his tool in response. I expect this still holds.

Thanks Worthless. I just sent the email. I was unaware that Martin Wright made a GSL tool.

ShpHawK
Chuck

shphawk
February 20th, 2016, 18:40
I agree with Worthless. Get hold of Martin Wright's gsl tool & you won't be struggling anymore.... it is an excellent piece of software.:medals:

Thanks UncleTgt. Still loving the looks of Pacific Blues Subdued, so beautiful.

ShpHawK
Chuck

shphawk
February 20th, 2016, 18:43
Yes, Martins's GSLEdit tool is excellent so long as you're not trying to add a huge layout that needs to be split up into 12 or 14 parts by GOB Check first in order to get it loaded into the GSL.

The nice thing about the MB GSL editor is that it will add a huge layout all in one nice easy step. I have never had any issues with it myself.

As B-24Guy pointed out you just need to make sure you hit the keys correctly.

Don't get me wrong. I use Martins tools all the time. As I am fiddling and piddling around with a new scenery- individual airfields and such- GOBCheck and GSLEdit are the perfect tools. But when I am ready to finally put everything together into one big layout and created distribute-able GSL for a scenery pack I always use MB's GSL editor.

One thing to keep somewhat in mind when using MB GSL Editor is that it adds to whatever is there. Martin's tools overwrite whatever is there.

Whenever you are ready to add a combined layout to the GSL via MB GSL editor, always start with an empty GSL.

MR

Thanks brother. I'll keep trying.

Chuck

MaskRider
February 20th, 2016, 18:44
Supposedly, when you edit stock gsl you can get stock infrastructure to show up in MB with icons once gsl edit mode is activated. I have been unsuccessful at this. Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.

Chuck

Hiya Shphawk,

Objects installed in the GSL, be they stock objects or add on, will not "activate" simply by entering MB's GSL Edit mode. You need to click on each object individually in order for it to activate as an icon. There is no marquee select. Kind of a pain. But if all want to do is activate a couple of objects and delete them- no problem.

MR

PS: Let me correct just a little bit. If you have activated a number of objects by clicking on them individually and their icons are showing then you can marquee select them. But that is the only way.

shphawk
February 20th, 2016, 19:09
If you want to know if you have gotten into GSL edit mode try to save the GSL (Ctrl+Alt+S). If your not in GSL editing mode you will get a pop up warning saying you can't save. Once in GSL edit mode you get no info that you have saved/updated the GSL.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35231&stc=1

CFS2 will not change the cfs2.gsl tell you move a GSL object or add a new object. The best way to know that you save took place is to check the Date Modified of the cfs2.gsl.

Mr. Allen,

You sir are extra awesome. Based on your advice, I was able to figure out that GSL Edit mode is active. I added a barrage balloon to Cape Gloucester and was able to save it. Then I figure out that stock infrastructure doesn't get MB icons until you click on the item, unlike what Lindsay Watt's tutorial leads you to believe. If you want to move on a hangar, click on it after entering GSL edit mode and it will get the infrastructure icon and become moveable. Now the problem is that it wont let me save again. LOL I can't even delete the barrage balloon. I get an error message that says "Cannot open the scenery layer file gsl/cfs2.gsl for writing", even though it worked once. :banghead: Progress, not perfection, I suppose. Thanks a million Allen. I will of course post whatever I figure out to help others.

ShpHawK
Chuck

shphawk
February 20th, 2016, 19:10
Hiya Shphawk,

Objects installed in the GSL, be they stock objects or add on, will not "activate" simply by entering MB's GSL Edit mode. You need to click on each object individually in order for it to activate as an icon. There is no marquee select. Kind of a pain. But if all want to do is activate a couple of objects and delete them- no problem.

MR

PS: Let me correct just a little bit. If you have activated a number of objects by clicking on them individually and their icons are showing then you can marquee select them. But that is the only way.

Just like you said MaskRider. Thanks man.

Chuck

Allen
February 20th, 2016, 19:15
Mr. Allen,

You sir are extra awesome. Based on your advice, I was able to figure out that GSL Edit mode is active. I added a barrage balloon to Cape Gloucester and was able to save it. Then I figure out that stock infrastructure doesn't get MB icons until you click on the item, unlike what Lindsay Watt's tutorial leads you to believe. If you want to move on a hangar, click on it after entering GSL edit mode and it will get the infrastructure icon and become moveable. Now the problem is that it wont let me save again. LOL I can't even delete the barrage balloon. I get an error message that says "Cannot open the scenery layer file gsl/cfs2.gsl for writing", even though it worked once. :banghead: Progress, not perfection, I suppose. Thanks a million Allen. I will of course post whatever I figure out to help others.

ShpHawK
Chuck

Never seen that. Could be from User Account Control if your using Win 7 or newer. The UAC can be stopping you from saving. It could but I have never seen it but maybe something has went wrong with the GLS so I'm attaching the stock GSL in case you need it.

shphawk
February 20th, 2016, 22:09
Never seen that. Could be from User Account Control if your using Win 7 or newer. The UAC can be stopping you from saving. It could but I have never seen it but maybe something has went wrong with the GLS so I'm attaching the stock GSL in case you need it.

Thanks Again Allen for the theory and the GSL. You really are awesome.

ShpHawK
Chuck