PDA

View Full Version : $%# D#$M FSX is at it again

jmig
September 27th, 2008, 04:14
Ok, so FSX has been running fine for months. No problems, great frame rates. Now, without me changing ANYTHING it has gone to $hit.

I can't fly more than 15-20 minutes before it freezes. It does it with any plane I have flown. It just freezes like you paused it, with the exception of the sound continues to loop, at least for a while. The picture stays where it was. Sometimes, I can't clear FSX and have to turn the computer off.

The computer is less than a year old and is well ventilated. I haven't changed anything on it since I upped the RAM to 4 gigs several months ago.

Go figure?

txnetcop
September 27th, 2008, 05:18
Ok, so FSX has been running fine for months. No problems, great frame rates. Now, without me changing ANYTHING it has gone to $hit.

I can't fly more than 15-20 minutes before it freezes. It does it with any plane I have flown. It just freezes like you paused it, with the exception of the sound continues to loop, at least for a while. The picture stays where it was. Sometimes, I can't clear FSX and have to turn the computer off.

The computer is less than a year old and is well ventilated. I haven't changed anything on it since I upped the RAM to 4 gigs several months ago.

Go figure?

OK let's go at this logically:
One: does it do it in any other games, if you don't have any other games get one and try it
Two: Are my temps and clock speeds the same on my CPU and GPU?

Three: If all the above are OK then check for a virus. I got one from Simviation that knocked out my FSX and took almost a week to find and fix

Four: What is the last thing I loaded before all the grief started?

Erase the fsx.cfg file and start over with tweaking your cfg

Hope that helps

FLighT01
September 27th, 2008, 06:31
...Three: If all the above are OK then check for a virus. I got one from Simviation that knocked out my FSX and took almost a week to find and fix

Yikes!!!

Cactuskid
September 27th, 2008, 06:35
I had exactly the same problem! :isadizzy: It seemed that it would happen at the same location and a banking turn would trigger it, but now I'm not sure... I think it was more random. I tried default .cfg and still had the problem. I've been on the EVGA 790i forum for the last couple of days, and it seems others are having a problem with lock-ups with audio loops with this mobo. Then a few days ago, the computer quit booting Windows... :banghead: I reloaded the OS last night, and still have a problem, so it must be something in the BIOS settings... I've tried playing with the FSB settings to no avail. I'm about to give up and take up drinking! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

FLighT01
September 27th, 2008, 06:48
"If all the above are OK then check for a virus. I got one from Simviation that knocked out my FSX and took almost a week to find and fix"

Can you give any details?

jmig
September 27th, 2008, 06:48
OK let's go at this logically:
One: does it do it in any other games, if you don't have any other games get one and try it
Two: Are my temps and clock speeds the same on my CPU and GPU?

Three: If all the above are OK then check for a virus. I got one from Simviation that knocked out my FSX and took almost a week to find and fix

Four: What is the last thing I loaded before all the grief started?

Erase the fsx.cfg file and start over with tweaking your cfg

Hope that helps

Logically? Logically? Since when anything about FSX has been logical? I never believed in black magic, gremlins, or poltergeists before FSX. Now I do.

I don't have any other games on it. But, I can load Oblivion. I have it.

The last thing I loaded was the A2A B-337, which kept, in spite of my best efforts, backfiring engines, so I quit flying it. You think something from one of the engines messed up FSX? Maybe a bit of carbon or a push rod? ;)

I will check the items you mentioned. Thanks for the advice.

JT8D-9A
September 27th, 2008, 07:56
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=120 ...i better don't use smilies.

Background processes, current drivers? Are there problem entries in the Windows Event Log?

Useful tools:
Hwmonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php), Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) and "IntelBurntest" (http://downloads.guru3d.com/IntelBurnTest-v1.6-download-2047.html)

BTW, there is a new Nvidia WHQL driver.

harleyman
September 27th, 2008, 08:29
Thats what I was thinking..Perhaps a driver crapped out.....

To test the 169 series are a good safe test bed......

Freezing I have heard has been caused with Nvidias newest drivers that have that PhysX stuff included.......

txnetcop
September 27th, 2008, 09:08
There is one more thing you can try:
Get a fresh young Rooster
A virgin of your choice
A really good Haitian witchdoctor...well you see where I am going with this:costumes:
Ted

BTW Keep you hands off the virgin or it won't work

FLighT01
September 27th, 2008, 12:45
...The last thing I loaded was the A2A B-337, which kept, in spite of my best efforts, backfiring engines, so I quit flying it. You think something from one of the engines messed up FSX? Maybe a bit of carbon or a push rod? ;)...

Yes, I think that's the "as real as it gets" part. It's even realer than we, or MS thought it would be.

jmig
September 27th, 2008, 13:00
Yes, I think that's the "as real as it gets" part. It's even realer than we, or MS thought it would be.

Actually, I consider the B-337 Accu-sim to be rather unrealistic. I have already emailed Scott my concerns.

txnetcop
September 27th, 2008, 13:34
Actually, I consider the B-337 Accu-sim to be rather unrealistic. I have already emailed Scott my concerns.

Well actually John we had a real B377 pilot testing and flying that little rascal and granted he only had 1100 hours in it, he hardily approved of it's characteristics...uh he is also a retired Air Force general and in this forum. While there are some things you just can't model in a less than $100 sim this comes awfully close.
Ted

jmig
September 27th, 2008, 14:54
Well actually John we had a real B377 pilot testing and flying that little rascal and granted he only had 1100 hours in it, he hardily approved of it's characteristics...uh he is also a retired Air Force general and in this forum. While there are some things you just can't model in a less than $100 sim this comes awfully close.
Ted

I am not arguing the above Ted. I know A2A makes great efforts to insure accuracy. Still, unless you are privy to my comments to Scott.

You have no idea what I was commenting on. I made a general statement that I considered Accu-sim in the B-337 to be rather unrealistic. I still do. I did not say why I considered it unrealistic. Maybe I should have? I didn't want to side track the thread by getting into a debate about Accu-Sim in the B-337. I was merely replying to FLighT01. If you want to know my thoughts, PM me.

txnetcop
September 27th, 2008, 16:36
I am not arguing the above Ted. I know A2A makes great efforts to insure accuracy. Still, unless you are privy to my comments to Scott. You would be better off not shooting your mouth off.

You have no idea what I was commenting on. I made a general statement that I considered Accu-sim in the B-337 to be rather unrealistic. I still do. I did not say why I considered it unrealistic. Maybe I should have? I didn't want to side track the thread by getting into a debate about Accu-Sim in the B-337. I was merely replying to FLighT01. If you want to know my thoughts, PM me.
Sorry you took it that way John...it wasn't meant to discredit what you had to say, only to clarify how we got where we did with the flight dynamics

hey_moe
September 27th, 2008, 16:56
John, DL the latest DX9 and the current video driver for your card. Un-install your video driver and then reboot and go to your C drive/programs and remove the folder that contained the video driver. Reboot again and install DX9 first and then your video drivers. Posy what happens.Also if ya get a chance take all your sliders to the left in FSX settings. This should tell you if it is a heat problem or program problem...Mike

txnetcop
September 27th, 2008, 19:34
John thanks for the PM, at least I understand why you took it the way you did.

jmig
September 27th, 2008, 19:57
John thanks for the PM, at least I understand why you took it the way you did.

Your welcome, Ted. We will agree to disagree.

Thank you for the suggestions on getting my FSX computer working properly.