PDA

View Full Version : Saitek/MadCatz X-55 flight stick

ejoiner
February 17th, 2016, 12:00
Hi guys, those of you who followed my other thread on this subject about 6 weeks ago may remember, I have a Saitek X-55 HOTAS set up. Worked beautifully then the stick died in December 2015. I returned it to madcatz for RMA replacement. They received the stick by USPS Dec 21, 2015. Follow up with them in mid January indicated that they were on back order and it would be MARCH 1 before my replacement stick would be sent. So, Ive spent the last several weeks without ability to enjoy my favorite hobby. Today I called to see where things were. was told now that no product replacement would be available until MAY 1, 2016.

This is the last straw. Im now going to spend the money and get a Thrustmaster set. MY ADVICE...and I say this reluctantly about any vendor..... DO NOT PURCHASE HARDWARE FROM MADCATZ. My personal experience shows that there customer service is unresponsive and will tell you whatever to get you off the phone. I am reticent to post negatively about anybody, but these guys are out of control. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

I should have bought thrusty to start with. I had a F-16/F22 HOTAS for years, upgraded to digital eproms. Only changed when I got a new PC that no longer had a 15 pin joystick port on it. Sucks anyway because I liked the saitek product when it worked.

Anybody want to buy a perfectly good saitek throttle? Its the stick that went tango uniform.

lownslo
February 17th, 2016, 12:36
http://drurymirror.com/2016/02/10/mad-catz-ceo-and-other-senior-execs-resign-ahead-of.html

Given the financial condition of Mad Catz perhaps even a May 1 date for replacement parts is "optimistic". Maybe going to a Thrustmaster product is the way to go... just move on from Saitek and Mad Catz (says the guy who owns a set of their Combat Rudder Pedals :banghead: ).

Good luck,

Greg

CodyValkyrie
February 17th, 2016, 12:38
I have the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, and although it's very specific to the A-10, it's the best stick and throttle I've ever owned. Work those arm muscles, as the stick might be a workout for some. Still, the quality is top notch through and through. It looks fairly easy to maintain as well.

StormILM
February 17th, 2016, 13:22
I hate to hear this. Obviously Madcatz customer service is a far cry from the original Saitek company. So far, my X-55 is working fine and coming up on the second year of daily use but with your experience and that of others, I have my concerns about dealing with them if something fails. I find it interesting that they gave you a May 1st date to get a new stick out to you because I have found tons of the full X-55 units at different vendors (plenty at Amazon as I type this). I have heard a rumor that Madcatz is redesigning this and other controllers (perhaps updating their internal & external hardware) and wonder if that may be the reason for the delay? Whatever the case, I'm leaning towards a Warthog if this one fails for any reason even though I've had friends who've had their Warthog units fail as well. Thrustmaster however did get them taken care of pretty quickly.

papab
February 17th, 2016, 13:32
I have the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, and although it's very specific to the A-10, it's the best stick and throttle I've ever owned. Work those arm muscles, as the stick might be a workout for some. Still, the quality is top notch through and through. It looks fairly easy to maintain as well.

+1!

Works great in P3DV3.1 using a paid for copy of FSUIPC also..
Rick

Navy Chief
February 17th, 2016, 13:42
I am grateful my Saitek X52 is still working. Am going to use it in conjunction with my Steam Link. The link itself will not recognize the controllers, so I ordered a 33ft "active powered" usb cable for it. I am determined to get back to flight simming on the Steam Link!!! Good luck with getting your new controllers though!!! I am envious! Hey, when are ya coming back down to Pensacola? Pete:very_drunk:

JAK_021
February 17th, 2016, 14:14
After reading this most recent post, I too called Mad Catz support to check on my return (almost exact same circumstances as the author of this thread - joystick stopped working, returned it in december, got an email saying that it was on back order and my ticket was closed - no responses to my emails asking for any ETA on my RMA), and was told by the same guy who answers the phone EVERY time (Joel?) that it would be AT LEAST May until I could expect a return. That is unacceptable to me to wait 6 months for a return. When I expressed my dissatisfaction, I got nowhere. No one else I can talk to (he did offer to give me an email I can compose my complaint to, but seeing how they never responded to any of my other emails, I refrained from copying it down - I don't like my time wasted). DO NOT BUY MAD CATZ/SAITEK! They will screw you. Never, ever again. I'm absolutely amazed at the lack of anything resembling good customer service. I'm at a loss of words. I'm used to dealing with problems head on. This is beyond my patience.

JAK_021
February 17th, 2016, 14:15
I think it's time to show them the power of the internet. Spread the word. Let's put them out of business.

Allen
February 17th, 2016, 15:11
JAK_021
Mad Catz is looking all but bankrupt already. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/02/rock-band-4-cant-save-a-struggling-mad-catz/

gman5250
February 17th, 2016, 15:46
Not good....note the gap down, under high volume, on November 9 and the high volume selloff Feb 8 thru 16. Looks like a run for the door.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=mcz

JAK_021
February 17th, 2016, 16:11
JAK_021
Mad Catz is looking all but bankrupt already. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/02/rock-band-4-cant-save-a-struggling-mad-catz/

Great. Looks like I'll never get my joystick replaced. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those guys who has a "spare" $300 - $400 kicking around to go buy another joystick. So at best, I'm unable to to do the one hobby I am able to enjoy for the next 5 months or so (May 1st my ass)... more likely, they're going to go out of business and all of us who purchased their products get stuck holding the short straw. *sigh*. This sucks.

ejoiner
February 17th, 2016, 16:23
Pretty much convinced Im F'ed. Going to buy what I should have bought all along. Thrustmaster A-10 Warthog HOTAS. I had a heavy metal thrusty set for years. I know that quality. What turned me onto the Saitek stick was the twist grip stick, which let me fly helicopters. My set up at home isnt really ideal for rudder pedals. I will miss that twist grip. Also the adjustable tension was nice.

Guys, just do not support these people. They are in trouble and if you send your stick to them, you will never see it again.

JAK_021
February 17th, 2016, 16:41
Pretty much convinced Im F'ed. Going to buy what I should have bought all along. Thrustmaster A-10 Warthog HOTAS. I had a heavy metal thrusty set for years. I know that quality. What turned me onto the Saitek stick was the twist grip stick, which let me fly helicopters. My set up at home isnt really ideal for rudder pedals. I will miss that twist grip. Also the adjustable tension was nice.

Guys, just do not support these people. They are in trouble and if you send your stick to them, you will never see it again.

I second this opinion. I have no doubt I'll never get my joystick returned, my money refunded, or any satisfaction from this. I'm so upset. I am going to spend the rest of my time spreading the word about this company. I suggest everyone else do the same.

CodyValkyrie
February 17th, 2016, 17:42
I'm not exactly surprised. Mad Catz had missed the boat marketing wise for years, and other than Saitek, their QA has always been lacking as long as I've been in gaming. I've seen that company time after time make serious missteps when predicting trends. This is even more sad because I've known a few people who were involved in projects over there that got seriously burned. Of course, perhaps the management will get things under control.

Jafo
February 17th, 2016, 18:26
I second this opinion. I have no doubt I'll never get my joystick returned, my money refunded, or any satisfaction from this. I'm so upset. I am going to spend the rest of my time spreading the word about this company. I suggest everyone else do the same.

As with the [crap] wonders of Facebook, Twitter and other social media .... I'd STRONGLY advise against public venting of one's spleen.

Laws relating to Libel, Slander, and/or Defamation have been successfully tested on the World Stage of the Internet.
People think they are anonymous and thus bullet-proof. They're [usually] not.

If the US has an equivalent of Australia's ACCC [Consumer Protection] you can demand a replacement or refund for goods found to be non-merchantable [failing expected use].

jtrandttr
February 17th, 2016, 18:53
A shame, really. Different story about 18 months ago. I had a warranty claim with a Saitek flight instrument panel. Counting shipping, the entire replacement cycle took about 3 weeks. These days it’s not as if they are focusing on filling new orders at the expense of warranty claims. I've been looking to add a second quadrant (of the USB variety) for the last 8 months, give or take, but every single retailer has continued to show the quadrant as being on backorder. The estimated ship date is constantly being extended (currently sometime in March. Yeah, right). I agree their financials don’t paint a very promising picture. Being thin on credit lines while trying to meet orders means something has to give, so a sort of financial triage develops (I'm a corporate BK attorney in R/L--please no pitchforks and torches). I suspect priority has been given to a product line other than flightsim controllers. Or maybe they are just burning the furniture at this stage in the game.

I'm not holding my breath for any near term turn-around for MCZ, but you never know. EJoiner and others that have open warranty issues are in a different (i.e., worse) position than I am and I think they have every right to be pissed. Not sure what the legal fallout would be for rants made on the internet (not my practice area), so I won't weigh in on that issue. As for me, I happen to like their stuff, so I hope MCZ gets its finances straightened out so they can start shipping product--warranty claims included.

JAK_021
February 17th, 2016, 19:57
As with the [crap] wonders of Facebook, Twitter and other social media .... I'd STRONGLY advise against public venting of one's spleen.

Laws relating to Libel, Slander, and/or Defamation have been successfully tested on the World Stage of the Internet.
People think they are anonymous and thus bullet-proof. They're [usually] not.

If the US has an equivalent of Australia's ACCC [Consumer Protection] you can demand a replacement or refund for goods found to be non-merchantable [failing expected use].

Libel, Slander, and/or Defamation... hmm... interesting assessment of my opinion. Bullet-proof you say? Well... I've been shot at 3 times. I'm still here. If they want to sue me for my opinion of their customer service, or, for that matter, if people on this forum wish to take issue with my opinion of their customer service, I'd suggest a better use of their time... but hey, what do I know? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's not realistic anymore to expect anything out of anybody anymore. I paid good money for their joystick. It stopped working due to manufacturer defect (their own admission, Counselor), and now they've advised me they won't refund my money, and *MIGHT* be able to resolve my issue sometime this year, with the soonest being possibly by May - 6 months after I opened a ticket, returned my joystick, and waited. They didn't even notify me of any of this. I found that out on THIS forum (after reading the original post, I called their customer service and was told the same time frame: i.e. "Possibly by May 1st", though the gentlemen I spoke to assured me that was the best case scenario - and not likely). I would have appreciated if they could have notified me - but they didn't. I'd have appreciated it if they'd emailed me back and let me know any of this, or EVEN RESPONDED TO ANY OF MY EMAILS - but they didn't. And now, I come to this forum to back up the original poster of this thread and tell my story... only to be cautioned about American laws on slander. Slander, Defamation, etc. only apply if the information you're sharing ISN'T TRUE. Otherwise, it's called "Free Speech".

Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the FREEDOM OF SPEECH, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

It's my sincere hope that my efforts (and others) help to influence their company policy and improve their products, and the service they provide for those products... or warn others if they're going to refuse to improve. That's it. So folks... SUE AWAY.

Jafo
February 17th, 2016, 20:49
Personally I couldn't care less what you do. I'm no-one's father.
Just don't get all caught up with what you'd like to think 'free speech' actually means..... in A Constitution...or otherwise.

All a complainant has to do is demonstrate a 'loss' from what someone says or does and that idiotic thing known as the 'Great Litigious American Legal System' will kick in and have your gonads on toast.

Personally...I have a Saitek X65F and swear by it....simply because it's a STATIC joystick... so there is exactly nothing to wear out... or go wrong with it....;)

JAK_021
February 17th, 2016, 21:58
Jafo - You've got me there. Our legal system is a joke without a punchline. In California there are billboard signs along the interstate freeway advertising lawyers who will help you sue... whomever. Only in America...

CodyValkyrie
February 17th, 2016, 22:07
Unfortunately, I've decided to cancel my order and instead ordered the CH Products Throttle Quadrant. I'm simply not waiting until April to get these throttles, no matter how good.

Allen
February 17th, 2016, 22:48
Great. Looks like I'll never get my joystick replaced. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those guys who has a "spare" $300 - $400 kicking around to go buy another joystick. So at best, I'm unable to to do the one hobby I am able to enjoy for the next 5 months or so (May 1st my ass)... more likely, they're going to go out of business and all of us who purchased their products get stuck holding the short straw. *sigh*. This sucks.

I'm sorry. I know you guys up here spend good mony on things but me down in CFS2 land is just fine with my MS SideWinder Precision 2. I keep rebuilding the thing from my first MS SideWinder. The Hat tact switch go bad and I rob one from the old one. Had to swap the USB cable as the one I got used went bad.

TARPSBird
February 18th, 2016, 02:05
I know a lot of you like the high-end HOTAS packages but I have to put in a plug for the Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X that I've been using for several years now. Only problem I've had with it occurred this past week when the throttle slider went stupid on me. Opened the bottom and found a broken wire from the throttle pot. Added a new piece of wire, quick solder job and I was good to go. Nice piece of hardware for US$30 or less.

ejoiner
February 18th, 2016, 07:40

Ive prettty much decided to treat Madcatz as out of business. However, as I only need the stick, I was able to find a used one on ebay (stick only) on ebay and figured the 88 bucks price was cheap enough. So purchased that one and if it dies one day, it will just get tossed. Seller is in the LA market. Paranoid cynic in me wonders however if some clown at madcatz is taking the broken ones people like me have sent, fixing them, then selling them on ebay.

ejoiner
February 18th, 2016, 07:44
Libel, Slander, and/or Defamation... hmm... interesting assessment of my opinion. Bullet-proof you say? Well... I've been shot at 3 times. I'm still here. If they want to sue me for my opinion of their customer service, or, for that matter, if people on this forum wish to take issue with my opinion of their customer service, I'd suggest a better use of their time... but hey, what do I know? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's not realistic anymore to expect anything out of anybody anymore. I paid good money for their joystick. It stopped working due to manufacturer defect (their own admission, Counselor), and now they've advised me they won't refund my money, and *MIGHT* be able to resolve my issue sometime this year, with the soonest being possibly by May - 6 months after I opened a ticket, returned my joystick, and waited. They didn't even notify me of any of this. I found that out on THIS forum (after reading the original post, I called their customer service and was told the same time frame: i.e. "Possibly by May 1st", though the gentlemen I spoke to assured me that was the best case scenario - and not likely). I would have appreciated if they could have notified me - but they didn't. I'd have appreciated it if they'd emailed me back and let me know any of this, or EVEN RESPONDED TO ANY OF MY EMAILS - but they didn't. And now, I come to this forum to back up the original poster of this thread and tell my story... only to be cautioned about American laws on slander. Slander, Defamation, etc. only apply if the information you're sharing ISN'T TRUE. Otherwise, it's called "Free Speech".

Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the FREEDOM OF SPEECH, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

It's my sincere hope that my efforts (and others) help to influence their company policy and improve their products, and the service they provide for those products... or warn others if they're going to refuse to improve. That's it. So folks... SUE AWAY.

I am repeating my own personal experience. I will continue to do that.

gman5250
February 18th, 2016, 08:19
This thread has covered some territory....:very_drunk:

It's unfortunate that you were caught out with the purchase of the Mad Katz product at the wrong time. I nearly made the same decision, but opted for the Warthog instead.

As far as posting your opinions, there is no reason to be concerned with legal or lawful action, so long as you understand the boundaries of what you can say or not. There is much you can say that would not land you in any hot water. Of course, under the rubric of "correctness", your comments may be construed as "hurtful" and therefore subject to censure, regardless of the above quoted Ammendment...one of only two remaining in effect.

After thinking about the posts above, a few thing occurred to me.

Considering the fact that Mad Katz business decisions and trends forecasting may not have benefited them in the long run, it is important to realize that the current economic climate is not friendly to low and mid cap business. It may be an interesting read to go to their page and read the financials, that's what I did and came up with an interesting picture.

The gap down was probably caused by some financial news that concerned investors. When you read about the "re-structuring" that took place you may find your answer.

Also, as a U.S. based corporation, they are most likely facing challenges brought about by the "Affordable Health Care Act" along with declining faith in the dollar that will affect their stock price. Note that their "book value" took a tremendous hit with a 200% devaluation in a very short period of time. It's hard to take those numbers to a bank and expect to find any help. For that matter the banks are looking at negative interest rates, which means that the money one would borrow is worth less than zero in the real world. The banks themselves are also in deep Kimchee and on the verge of going "tango uniform" as things deteriorate.

The third factor is the Baltic Dry Index, which strongly indicates that virtually no shipping is taking place around the globe. Shipping companies require a profit to float out cargo, and are not inclined to accept dollars any longer, but rather are favoring the Yuan. With the Yuan tanking as well, shipping is not happening, which obviously affects supply chain.

That's all long winded stuff to kind of fill out the conjecture as to why Mad Katz can't fill orders or deal with customer service.

I'd be inclined to forecast that there will be no immediate solution to the short term issues, and I'm really sorry for you gentlemen who are caught short. I do have a CH throttle and stick that I would be willing to let out of for someone in need of a temporary setup. NO charge other than shipping, just return it to me when your Saitek is replaced.

Don't be too hard on Mad Katz as they are experiencing what thousands of mid cap companies around the globe are confronting and there is no easy solution, real world fundamentals being as they are.

As far as BK attorneys go...

IMHO, at least the BK attorney is acting in the interest of his client and not a hired gun for a multi-national corporate conglomerate that is seeking to use TARP money to re-locate to a third world slave labor pool. IMHO...lol

ejoiner
February 18th, 2016, 12:34
This thread has covered some territory....:very_drunk:

The third factor is the Baltic Dry Index, which strongly indicates that virtually no shipping is taking place around the globe. Shipping companies require a profit to float out cargo, and are not inclined to accept dollars any longer, but rather are favoring the Yuan. With the Yuan tanking as well, shipping is not happening, which obviously affects supply chain.

I work for DHL in global sales. I have ONE major customer worth 100 million dollars in annual revenue with us alone. I was just in China for 2 weeks along with Vietnam Singapore and India. Let me tell you there is PLENTY of shipping and manufacturing going on. This issue with my joystick is not impacted by that. The dude at Madcatz told me some nonsense about changing factories in china, but their behavior indicates to me that these guys are going the way of the dodo. no business survives with no product for months.

JAK_021
February 18th, 2016, 13:22
My issue isn't entirely with the time frame (although 6 or more months to replace a faulty product seems excessive - it's a plastic toy for a PC game - NOT a hand made Italian sports car), it's the manner in which I learned of it as well. I shouldn't have to learn from THIS board about the issues. Mad Catz should have taken the time to respond to any of the numerous emails I sent explaining the factors involved with the delay (and perhaps, due to the circumstances, offered alternatives to those unwilling to wait). If they'd emailed me offering a different product or my money back, I would have probably just waited it out. I liked the X-55 immensely. It's a good joystick (when it works). It would suck, but I might have chosen to wait. What I don't like is being in the dark and waiting without any information about this - until I read about it on a forum I'm a member of. That's bad business... or more accurately, bad customer service. I guess I'm old fashioned. I open doors for women, say "please" and "thank you"... and if I F*** up, I cop to it, apologize, and try to make it right; and I do that for people who HAVEN'T given me their money. If I give you my money, I expect my money's worth. This hobby is more than just a game to me, it's therapy. It's an escape, if I'm going to be honest here. My situation is a bit unique. I'm unable to enjoy the things I used to, and I lost my Mother, my Father, my cousin, and my cat (best friend - laugh away, but it's true) of 17 years - all in the last 6 months. I'm single, and disabled. I'd planned to spend Christmas on the other side of the earth (on my computer at least), exploring some region of this world I'll never see (which is saying something, I've been around)... instead, I took my anti-anxiety medication and slept through all of Christmas day. It was better than the alternative. This was the worst Christmas I've ever had - for the reasons stated above, and I couldn't do anything to escape from it. I'm on a fixed budget... and don't have money to even go buy a cheaper alternative at the moment... so hearing that I can't escape the reality of my life for the next 6 months or more leaves me sitting (I do that a lot, if you follow) staring at the wall. Taking my anti-depressants... and wishing I was 80,000ft above my life right now. Please don't misunderstand - I'm not seeking sympathy. I'm very past that. It's just that, unfortunately... to me, losing my joystick affected my quality of life. Not in a good way. And not at a good time. Everyone is quick to share their opinions of my opinions... and that's fine. I'm happy to see so many intelligent, interested and active participants in this hobby... and even happier to have a place to connect with them - though I think I'm what is called a "lurker"... I hardly post. :( I just wish I had been given the respect by Mad Catz that I *thought* the purchase of their product guaranteed. My mistake. I won't make it again.

StormILM
February 18th, 2016, 13:53
The dude at Madcatz told me some nonsense about changing factories in china

That coincides with word about changes being made to their product line and the shipping time deficits on many of their products. They aren't the first nor last company who's been stuck in such a predicament when dealing with overseas suppliers. They choose these suppliers based on their planned balance of cost & profit and it seems quality in that equation often takes a backseat at best. Sometimes these companies find luck with cheap production costs, get a decent quality lot run of a given product but when parts and labor supply change, the next runs end up bad(or were bad to begin with). I dealt with that with Planetronics a while back and saw their quality go from being excellent to being some of the poorest quality products in their class. The logic is very flawed, mass-produce as cheap as possible, take the hits from returned products so long as it stays in the target profit margins. Eventually those margins will shrink and sink the company (as it seems to have happened here). Once a company get's labeled in such a negative light, it's very hard to recover the trust of customers.

gman5250
February 18th, 2016, 14:21
I work for DHL in global sales. I have ONE major customer worth 100 million dollars in annual revenue with us alone. I was just in China for 2 weeks along with Vietnam Singapore and India. Let me tell you there is PLENTY of shipping and manufacturing going on.

I was only quoting the big picture as shown by the chart, not looking at specific ports and manufacturing regions.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1574/25023301711_71298771d7_b.jpg
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui
Type in $BDI in the Symbol field.

Allen
February 18th, 2016, 19:07
I know a lot of you like the high-end HOTAS packages but I have to put in a plug for the Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X that I've been using for several years now. Only problem I've had with it occurred this past week when the throttle slider went stupid on me. Opened the bottom and found a broken wire from the throttle pot. Added a new piece of wire, quick solder job and I was good to go. Nice piece of hardware for US$30 or less.

Think I have that and it is dual use. PS3 and PC right?

jtrandttr
February 19th, 2016, 13:15
As far as BK attorneys go...

IMHO, at least the BK attorney is acting in the interest of his client and not a hired gun for a multi-national corporate conglomerate that is seeking to use TARP money to re-locate to a third world slave labor pool. IMHO...lol

Thanks, Gman. When the day finally arrives when I stand in Judgment, do I have your OK to use this line? Might be the "one more log on the fire" that tips the balance.

Tom

gman5250
February 19th, 2016, 13:36
Thanks, Gman. When the day finally arrives when I stand in Judgment, do I have your OK to use this line? Might be the "one more log on the fire" that tips the balance.

Tom

If you really want to mess with "THEM" at that juncture, you might consider presenting them a Habeas Corpus.....:very_drunk:

Otherwise...feel free to use the line.

BTW...as Amazon seems to know absolutely everything about what I am interested in, and has my next purchase boxed and ready to ship...even before I place the order, I find it mildly hysterical that I suddenly keep getting pop up ads for the Saitek equipment being discussed in this thread. Actually I find it completely hysterical because I haven't searched that item for many months, yet as we are quietly discussing matters relating to MadKatz and Saitek I am suddenly inundated with un-solicited offerings of the product.

Orwellian......:pop4:

Jafo
February 19th, 2016, 15:09
Orwellian......:pop4:

Big Brother is watching....;)