PDA

View Full Version : I have an odd request...

Browncoat
February 17th, 2016, 10:41
Could some people post a copy of the display section from their cfs2.cfg file? I have a GTX 970 video card that does not play well with CFS2. I can get it to work by poking a the config file, but I think I am missing some effects like T & L.

Allen
February 17th, 2016, 11:23
[DISPLAY]
Device=NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
Mode=1024x768x32
TriLinear=0
MipMap=0
HWTnL=0

I didn't fine any code for the filtering... All you need is the bold keys. I'm going to guess that 0 is off and 1 is on.

I know there has to be more keys so I looking for them now with a Hex Editor.

EDIT: Think I found most of them.

Filter Options. Only one can be one at one time. Dither = No Filter Filter = Bilinear Filter TriLinear = Trilinear Filter.
Dither=0
Filter=0
TriLinear=0

All 3 can be on at the same time. MipMap = Mip Maping AntiAlias = Anti-Alias HWTnL = T and L.
MipMap=0
AntiAlias=0
HWTnL=0

Unknow...
Stencil=0
PageFlip=0
Fog=0 This looks to be the blend fog I guess fog is on by defalt unless you put Fog=0 in the [DISPLAY] cat.
TripleBuffer=0
SWTnL=0
DXTn=0

You must restart CFS2 after each manual edit of the CFS2.cfg.

UncleTgt
February 17th, 2016, 11:55
Hi Browncoat,

I'm running a GTX750ti under WIN 7 Home Premium. I run CFS2 in windowed mode.

To get the best appearance I needed to use Nvidia Inspector to tweak the settings beyond the options the Sim offers (it is a 15 year old game after all).
In the Sim settings I have trilinear filtering ticked, & the 3 boxes on the right (Mipmapping, anti-alias, T & L). Everything else is using the Nvidia Inspector profile for CFS2, plus a bit of tweaking & experimenting.

Note the same settings make FS9 look pretty awful :toilet_claw: (lot's of jagged edges etc.) so each sim needs it's own profile.

Hope this helps.

Browncoat
February 17th, 2016, 18:40
I appreciate the help. :) I was indeed missing afew entries in the cfg file. It may be the drivers of my card, but CFS2 does not allow me to manipulate any video settings from within the game. FS9, P3D and FSX:SE never gave me any problems, but CFS2 is also the grand old lady. I'll also look in to Nvidia inspector.

Allen
February 17th, 2016, 21:32
There is a check box for Enable hardware acceleration. It need to be click but I'm sure you know that but some times we over think things...

Browncoat
February 21st, 2016, 13:46
There is a check box for Enable hardware acceleration. It need to be click but I'm sure you know that but some times we over think things...

Unfortunately, I don't have the option to check the box within CFS2. I don't know exactly why, but I can only surmise that it is because of my GTX 970 card or the drivers. I never had this issue with only of the other cards I have ran CFS2 on. Please see the attached screen shot.

In my CFS2 config file, I have this for my display section:

[DISPLAY]
Device=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (\\.\DISPLAY1)
Mode=1920x1080x32
trilinear=1
mipmap=1
AntiAlias=1
HWTnL=1

With these settings CFS2 works and looks great, but the in-game display settings don't follow what the CFG file has in it.

Allen
February 21st, 2016, 14:17
It looks like Enable hardware acceleration can't be checked but the Advanced 3-D hardware options show that CFS2 is using the settings you put in by manual editing of the CFS2.cfg!