PDA

View Full Version : I had a REALLY strange computer hiccup this morning...

Rami
February 17th, 2016, 03:19
Hey guys,

After a couple of Windows Updates yesterday, (KB 3118401, KB 3121255) I reset my computer with no issues, and spent a couple of hours last evening working on CFS2. This morning, since I wasn't working this week and no one else was up, I went to continue my work, and my laptop keyboard stopped working completely in the middle of a sentence.

I sat there scratching my head for a minute, then reset the computer. No improvement.

Then, I decided since my mouse was working, I backed up every single file for CFS2 I was working on, lest I lose my work.

But before I chose the "nuclear" option of a system restore or complete factory reset, (Good God!) I decided to uninstall the keyboard driver and then reset the computer.

Now, everything is back to normal, and the keyboard driver was automatically reinstalled.

Aside from doing a complete virus scan, boot scan, and backup, is there anything else I should do? Has this happened to anyone else? :dizzy:

aeromed202
February 17th, 2016, 16:43
Spilled any liquids on the board lately, or installed a program recently? Or for that matter, if it happens again, uninstall those updates? Reminds me of a call a year or two ago. Elderly at the nursing home, short of breath. While the diligent fire department EMTs were checking the old girl out, I noticed the oxygen line being neatly squeezed under a bed foot. Freeing the line fixed her in a jiffy. The staff suddenly remembered "adjusting" the bed not long before the problem surfaced. Always keep an open mind.:untroubled:

jimjones
February 17th, 2016, 23:58
Lost the ability to use my printer soon after the last Win 10 updates. Pulling or connecting the cable between the computer and printer fails to even get the Windows sounds of recognition. The printer works fine with another PC. I need to learn how to reinstall the printer driver since I have no Win 10 recovery disk.

Rami
February 18th, 2016, 01:25
Aeromed202,

No spills, and no new programs installed recently. Good thoughts though, thanks!

aeronca1
February 18th, 2016, 07:15
I really don't know what MS is doing with their latest updates. A few months ago I started getting client calls regarding symptoms like this. The symptoms always occurred right after an update. In all cases, the fix was to go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager and remove the non-working device. Then use the option do discover new devices and allow windows to use the already installed driver.

Daveroo
February 18th, 2016, 08:12
well for me,everything is working fine,BUT the text and..well everything is bigger,the screen resolution is still what it should be,,and the slider thing to make text and apps largeer is set where it was...but even if i make it smaller (slide the ticker thingy to the left) nothing changes....

KellyB
February 19th, 2016, 04:27
Don'tcha just love forced auto update? Msoft has such a stellar track record of successful update without collateral damage. I'm sure the best is yet to come.

aeromed202
February 20th, 2016, 13:15
Being a dyed-in-the-wool cynic, I figure MS is simply trying to ruin previous windows versions to further force the change to (say this with an echoing low Vincent Price voice of doom) Windows 10.