PDA

View Full Version : Kawanishi H8K Emily

Shessi
February 6th, 2016, 02:09
Hi Folks,
Just about finishing a re-vamp of an old FS2000 Emily. A great basic model back from 2002 by Aidan McCaffrey (thank you!), but no cockpit, VC etc. So added those, new crew, made multi-LOD, new texs and tweaks.

Also Stuart kindly did me/us a seaplane tender, the Akitsushima for CFS2. A new lick of paint and made it into some scenery to go with the Emily. Just bits and pieces to go.

Pics from FS9 but also doing a CFS2 version, and scenery.

Cheers

Shessi

Rami
February 6th, 2016, 04:20
Mark,

Outstanding job, your work never ceases to amaze!

UncleTgt
February 6th, 2016, 04:23
Looking forwards to this one - great to see so many CBI/PTO additions being worked on lately ...:running:

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
February 6th, 2016, 08:00
Wow! Can't wait for this one!

miamieagle
February 6th, 2016, 08:01
Keep it up!:wavey:

dvslats
February 6th, 2016, 19:31
Hi Shessi,

I had given up hope in ever seeing such a well made Emily for CFS2. Yep, I actually gave up. :sorrow:

This model will make my 2016 top ten list! Thank You! :applouse:

Dv

Captain Kurt
February 6th, 2016, 20:19
Wow, just wow!

bub
February 7th, 2016, 04:20
Another wonderful addition. Thanks for your work on this one. I'll put her to good use.
Bob

Shessi
February 7th, 2016, 12:21
Folks,
Please don't forget, the original model was made by Aidan McCaffrey, and I agree he made an cracking job of the external mdl, also the Emily is one good looking bird. I've just dragged it into the 21st. Funny though, in his original readme back in 2002(!), he states that he intends to make a VC etc for it....obvious the 'force' didn't stay with him..which is a shame really, as he was a good modeller.

And making it fully usable in CFS2 (always got to look after the boys in the basement! ;)).

I've also made some scenery out of Stuart's Akitsushima seaplane tender, if I get time I'll make it destroyable, as it was sunk in an attack later on in the war.

Cheers

Shessi

miccasharon
February 7th, 2016, 19:42
Super like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I saw her at a museum when I was elementary grade kid in Tokyo, she is one of my favorite plane.

Thank you very much Shessi, Aidan McCaffrey, Stuart, and also all of those who are trying to enhance the world of CFS2 after 15 years since it was released.

I love you guys!!!!!

Yuki

kelticheart
February 8th, 2016, 01:04
What a wonderful new bird!
Thank you Shessi and Aidan McCaffrey!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

How much did the Short Sundy influence Kawanishi designers, or was it the other way around?

KH :adoration:

Shessi
February 8th, 2016, 03:52
Kelti,
Good point. And yes the Japanese Army/Navy AF did experience the Sunderland before the war, and it must have made a point for them to have a large long-range flying boat, rather than just float-planes.

Guess what's might be next then.............;)

Cheers

Shessi

hewman100
February 14th, 2016, 14:03
You can definitely see the influence of the Empire Class 'C' flying boat and Sunderland on the 'Emily'.

Another great original uplifted to the heights of todays expectations. :applause:
It says a lot about the folks in here that we tend to improve what we've already got, instead of immediately starting from scratch every time.

Shessi
February 23rd, 2016, 12:50
Hi Folks,
Just uploaded the CFS2 version of the Emily.

Cheers

Shessi

Shadow Wolf 07
February 23rd, 2016, 12:58
Thank you very much sir. :applause: I will make good use of it. :jump:

braveheart77521
February 23rd, 2016, 13:21
Is it just me or has the FS9 version been uploaded to CFS2 Warbirds, Japanese Aircraft?

Braveheart

kwb737
February 23rd, 2016, 13:32
Hi Folks,
Just uploaded the CFS2 version of the Emily.

Cheers

Shessi

All I see is the FS9 version Shessi.

MaskRider
February 23rd, 2016, 15:39
Shessi!

I, like many others, have been waiting and hoping that someone would do a rehab of this beautiful old flying boat!

Thanks!

MR

Shessi
February 23rd, 2016, 16:29
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/894814562634961239.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - Japanese

Description: A total revamp of an FS2000 Kawanishi H8K2 Emily for CFS2 by Shessi, SOH Feb 2016.

Based on Aidan R. McCaffrey's FS200 Emily, which is a great looking model, but it had no external cockpit, VC or full crew. Now including these and made multi-LOD and a new tex, DP etc. Good on FR's, glightstate and crashcheck removed.

Shessi

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Kawanishi H8K2 Emily CFS2.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=20987&catid=53)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Rami
February 23rd, 2016, 16:55
Mark,

What to say? Except...yet another wonderful restoration job, my friend! :very_drunk: :applause:

kwb737
February 23rd, 2016, 17:56
OUTSTANDING!!!! Thank you Shessi!! :encouragement:

beepee
February 24th, 2016, 05:44
Superb revamp of an old bird !!!!

Thank you Shessi!!

Beepee

dombral
February 24th, 2016, 05:50
OUTSTANDING!!!! Thank you Shessi!! :encouragement:

très intéressant scenery et le nouveau Emily est splendide . Merci à tous et bravo . Je vais l'adapter pour la mission de reconnaissance sur Pearl Harbor dans la campagne de Midway .

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35438&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35439&stc=1

Shessi
February 24th, 2016, 06:44
Glad you like it folks.

I enjoyed making the scenery, there are a few more where that came from......watch this space ;)

Dombral,
je t'en prie.

Cheers

Shessi

msfossey
February 24th, 2016, 10:13
Thank you Shessi, very nice.

msfossey

MaskRider
February 24th, 2016, 13:36
Will you by any chance be doing a place-able Emily hulk like the one that still sits just off shore inside the Makin Island lagoon?

Just for giggles?

MR

miccasharon
February 24th, 2016, 17:39
Beautiful bird and scenery!

Thank you very much!

miamieagle
February 24th, 2016, 18:13
Superb

Thank you:applause:

braveheart77521
February 25th, 2016, 08:57
Great aircraft! A Joy to Fly! One suggestion. by adding the following to Panel cfg, the forward vision (Horizon) will be greatly improved for takeoff :

[VIEWS]
VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=MAIN_PANEL,THROTTLE_PANEL, Compass_Panel,
VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=9.000, 0.000, 0.000

Braveheart

Shessi
February 25th, 2016, 09:27
Cheers guys.

MR,
A floating destroyed hulk or one on shoreline edge? If you PM me with the CFS2 co-ordinates and direction facing you want, I'll fire one up.

Thank's BH, always room to improve things.

Shessi

MaskRider
February 25th, 2016, 10:48
Well,

I'll try posting this again. I'll be danged if I can figure out whats happening. Hopefully it won't double post. If it does I won't worry about it.

Hiya Shessi,

First of all, please do not distract yourself at all with this project. But if you do find some time and are so inclined here are the coordinates of the wreck location from Google Earth: 3° 4.409' N 172° 47.554' E

If you activate Photos in the GE sidebar you will see that some one has posted a photo of the wreck in its current condition.

From what I have read it was part of a large contingent of Emily's station on Butaritari- Makin up until some time in 1943 at which time this one wrecked or became disabled. The Japanese salvaged the engines and any other usable equipment from it that they could. Those along with about a dozen other Emily's were evacuated from the island in the face of advancing allied invasions. The Japanese left 100 ground crew behind.

At the time of the US invasion the wreck was used by the Japanese as a snipers nest, silenced by Sherman tank fire. It sat rotting away until sometime late in the 1980s when the wings and hull collapsed to the lagoon bottom.

Zooming in on the Google Earth view and going by other photos it appears that it sits with the nose heading about 131-132 degrees.

Here are a couple of other photos:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35466&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35467&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35468&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35469&stc=1

NOTE: the map shows the location of the Emily at the base of King's Wharf.

Cheers,
Chris

Shessi
February 25th, 2016, 13:35
Here yer go, wrecked and at that location.

Cheers

Shessi

MaskRider
February 25th, 2016, 14:00
Hehe.

Oh, yes. Delightful.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35471&stc=1

Of course you realize what this means?

It means I shall now need to take a break from what I was doing and build a nice island to go with it.

Thanks, Shessi. Its beautiful!

Chris

Allen
February 25th, 2016, 20:22

It needs a texture?

MaskRider
February 25th, 2016, 21:20
It needs a texture?

Well, maybe it does. I didn't want to sound like I was looking a gift-horse in the mouth though! ;^)

However, keep in mind that this particular Emily was disabled by Boys anti-tank rifle fire from Marines during the Makin Island raid of Aug 17 through 19, 1942. So it sat there like this for over a year before the invasion of Butaritari-Makin island in November 1943.

It was probably in pretty nasty shape.

MR

Allen
February 25th, 2016, 21:31
My guess is that it uses the same texture as the aircraft. Need to place the aircrafts texture in the same place as you put the BGL but in the texture folder. Placing texture in scenery folder dosen't work. :biggrin-new:

MaskRider
February 25th, 2016, 21:55
Whoa! I didn't put any textures anywhere. I wasn't really thinking about it too much. I put the bgl into the scenery folder for my Micronesia scenery and that was it. I just figured it would call out whatever textures it needed from the game itself. I understand that one doesn't place textures into scenery folders. Give me a little credit.

Allen
February 25th, 2016, 22:30
Yes, yes I know.

Objects won't find textures unless they are in the main texture folder or if in a SCENEDB subfolder they need tp be matched in the same scenery/texture.

MaskRider
February 25th, 2016, 22:44
Understood. I just figured it was supposed to look like a rusted-out old hulk. Didn't even occur to me that it needed to be placed into its own scenery folder next to its own texture folder- as I said wasn't giving it much thought. Now I know.

I added a Miscellaneous Scenery Objects folder with proper scenery and texture sub-folders, activated it, and now everything is jake.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35476&stc=1

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

kwb737
February 25th, 2016, 23:09
Hehe.

Oh, yes. Delightful.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35471&stc=1

It means I shall now need to take a break from what I was doing and build a nice island to go with it.

Thanks, Shessi. Its beautiful!

Chris

I noticed mine is sitting quite a bit further off shore than yours Maskrider. Any idea why?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35477&stc=1

Desert Rat
February 26th, 2016, 01:12
I see on Google earth and bing maps (less clouds) there are to wrecked hulls slightly west of the pier. GE has a pic you can zoom in on. named as "Boats World War II stranded in the lagoon of Butaritari"

BTW, thanks V much for these new toys. Looking forward to playing with them (one day!)

kelticheart
February 26th, 2016, 02:07
....she's indeed a beautiful aircraft!!

:encouragement: :applause: :triumphant:

KH :adoration:

Shessi
February 26th, 2016, 03:50
Chris,
It's a choice I did it as a material coloured bgl, so you don't need any texs. If you want texs the easiest way is to put the bgl with the Akitsushima bgl, the texs are there already, or separately for a rusted look.

KWB,
That's because no doubt he's using some of his own shoreline scenery.

Jamie,
Blimey, coming in from the cold, you can still use this in FSX, coz I know where you live now.....;) LOL

Kelti et al,
You're all welcome.

Oh, while I'm here, Kelti, would you mind doing me a favour please, only if you have the time and are inclined to do so, would you mind having a go with your great prop skills, at getting these Fs9 3 and 4 prop into CFS2. They look so good in Fs9, but as is, they don't look correct in CFS2. Many thanks.

Cheers

Shessi

MaskRider
February 26th, 2016, 07:00
@KWB: I currently have Rhumba's mesh and unadorned masks installed in this part of the world- no shorelines. Rhumbas masks are much more accurately located than the stock mesh and masks. You'll notice too that there is some noticeable elevation to the island that isn't present in the stock version. Using Rhumbas masks Shessi's bgl is perfectly located. With the stock mesh and masks it is located a couple of hundred yards off shore- that is how inaccurately the stock shoirliens are located . The wreck actually sits up on the shoreline.

That why I was thinking that a nice new Makin Island might be fun. It would be a nice break from what I have been working on.

MR

kwb737
February 26th, 2016, 07:25
@KWB: I currently have Rhumba's mesh and unadorned masks installed in this part of the world- no shorelines. Rhumbas masks are much more accurately located than the stock mesh and masks. You'll notice too that there is some noticeable elevation to the island that isn't present in the stock version. Using Rhumbas masks Shessi's bgl is perfectly located. With the stock mesh and masks it is located a couple of hundred yards off shore- that is how inaccurately the stock shoirliens are located . The wreck actually sits up on the shoreline.

That why I was thinking that a nice new Makin Island might be fun. It would be a nice break from what I have been working on.

MR
That's exactly what I thought the difference was Maskrider but I wasn't sure. OK then maybe I'll give a go at downloading and installing Rhumba's mesh. Never done it before. Hope it goes well. Thank you. :wavey: Little confused on which ones to use. DEM8, LOD7, or LOD5 or all of them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Desert Rat
February 26th, 2016, 14:13
Jamie,
Blimey, coming in from the cold, you can still use this in FSX, coz I know where you live now.....;) LOL

I wish, any sim would do just now. Never did do more than install FSX and try it. Been out of simming for a good while now. The last things I did were the finishing of the Hampden (Is it working out okay for you guys? AI wise etc?) And then started building a secret Biplane from scratch (for CFS2 BTW), external model was almost finished and mapped then my computer died, packed it away to sell my house, moved house a couple of months later, a month after that unpacked my futer to fix, lo-and-behold it worked fine. For about a month, spent backing stuff up, then died completely. My gaming time has been reduced to Solitaire on my mobile, lol.

Cracking work mate,

ATB,
Jamie.

Shessi
February 26th, 2016, 14:23
Jamie,
Yes, it's like that. Simming immersion waxes and wanes, hopefully you'll get back your mojo (and a pc, LOL) and into the groove sometime.......

Cheers

Shessi

skylane
February 28th, 2016, 01:54
Very nice airplane!
Thank you, Shessi!:applause: