PDA

View Full Version : Fs9 Modeled Ordinance To Bgl

dvslats
January 24th, 2016, 02:47
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if this is possible. As an example, drop tanks modeled into the aircraft made to a bgl for CFS2 drops.

Something like MCX to 3ds to Gmax. Capture the drop tank mesh in Gmax? Make a bgl?

I've tried other methods with no success. Mostly because I'm all thumbs when it comes to Gmax.

Dv

Allen
January 24th, 2016, 07:15
If you can get MCX to open the model you can go MCX to 3ds to gMax like you already said.

Once you have the model in gMax you need to re-load the texture and add smoothing to the model. Delete any thing you don't want. Than you can use http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=49&linkid=16620 to make a .bgl

dvslats
January 24th, 2016, 18:51
Alrighty Allen. I've ventured this far. Still need to find the way for smoothing.
Also setting X, Y, Z coords.
Then it's off to testing in a compiled bgl.

Allen
January 24th, 2016, 20:55
Click on the Modify tab

Open the Modifier List and go to smoothing.

Use Auto Smooth. It will set smoothing to 30.0. You can make the 30.0 any it thing from 0.0 to 180.0. I find that 30.0 to 60.0 works fine. Your drop tanks look quite round already so 30.0 should work just fine but you may need to use 60.0.

With just about all stock weapons they are below the horizontal grid line when viewed from the left or right side. Like this Brithish 250lbs I made. Mounting pylons are above the line.

When viewed from the top the weapon should be centered with the vertical line of the grid.

But it looks like your drop tanks are on an angle and have there mounting pylons attached. You may want do make Left and Right mounting pylons .bgls and a single drop tank. For a total of 3 "weapon" bgls.

dvslats
January 25th, 2016, 17:35
Sure I'm missing the obvious...

Did a "select all" first.
Got to the point in picture 3, smoothing (30).
Now how does one apply it to mesh?
A click on something somewhere or short-cut key combination? Reason being there is no change in appearance and "undo smoothing " is not showing in the edit list.

BTW, in the modifier box yours shows Smooth
---------
Box

Mine shows Editable Mesh
---------------
Smooth

Maybe a clue to help a bit?

Thanks Allen

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Edit:

I just found this posted in another forum.Yes, for 3DS models I have imported, I needed to weld all the vertices of all parts of the model back together again.

1. Select all parts
2. Add an Edit Mesh modifier
3. Go to Vertex submode
4. Select all vertices
5. Weld Selected (0.05 setting).
6. Collapse the stack.

Hope this helps,

tgibson, 13 Sep 2011

Maybe this is the problem.
Still at the coal mine so I'll try it later @ home.

Allen
January 25th, 2016, 20:44
Select all of the objects and you will find Smooth in the Mesh Editing catagory. You may have to do some Vertex Welding but any Vertex thare are less than 4mm apart where welded when the aircraft was made if it was made in gMax. I'm going to guess that much the same is done with FSDS or the polygons can't be smoothed.

dvslats
February 1st, 2016, 01:18
Well Allen, Finally was able to make a bgl of the drop tanks. Thanks for your help.

I'm thinking, after jumping through all those hoops to to get these from mdl format,
next time it just might be easier to make originals in gmax.
A lot of steps would then be cut out of the equation.

So back to the grind of another work week. grrrrr

Until Later, Dave

Allen
February 1st, 2016, 14:40
It takes some getting use to. You could make your own but than you need to do the texture mapping your self.