View Full Version : ORBX releases Meigs Field

papab
January 21st, 2016, 17:27
You can get it here:
http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=3640

Rick

AussieMan
January 21st, 2016, 17:58
Ahhhhhhh ....... the memories of the 1984 wire frame version of the SubLogic Flight Simulator on the old Commodore 64 then moved on to the C-128 and then the Amiga which by then had advanced to Flight Simulator II. After that Sublogic was taken over by Microsoft. Flight Simulator 5 was the first FS that had actual buildings and a decent aircraft. How things have changed over the years.

manfredc3
January 21st, 2016, 19:46
Aussieman,

You are bringing back memories.

I even had the Sinclair ZX Spectrum with the gray rubbwer keys and tape recorder before moving on the the commodore.

The the whit + on a black screen, and we felt like we were flying. I still have the old Fs version somewhere.

Now I have to find a few pennies in my empty wallet to get the scenery, lol

Javis
January 22nd, 2016, 02:10
I even had the Sinclair ZX Spectrum with the gray rubbwer keys and tape recorder before moving on the the commodore.

Same here, Manfred, loved that little thing! :encouragement:

Bought it because of a program called "Nightflight" : 2 rows of 12 white dots depicting the runway.The rest pitch black.. A few crudely drawn gauges, amongst them ADF with which you were supposed to find the 12 white dots. A friend in the pub told me he had a similar program for his Commodore64. He believed it was called Flight Simulator. Didn't do anything with it. Would i like to give it a try ? Would i !!??... He gave me his Commodore and FSII on a tape the rest is history. :teapot:

Bought an Atari1040ST myself and Sublogic FSII. Still have the box, tape and booklets. Always will be icons to me !

Btw, as i was much exited about the news of Orbx doing a new Meigs i already started a thread about it a week or so ago:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?97447-MEIGS-is-back!

Cheers,
Jan

Wild Bill Kelso
January 22nd, 2016, 02:28
Unlike you old farts :a1310:, I started at Meigs with FS98.
What a thrill to get the Skylane up to the Hancock tower and negotiate her through its antennae...

Cheers,
Markus.

jpmouse
January 22nd, 2016, 03:09
Here is a site to enjoy a nostalgic look at the history of our beloved pastime:

http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsh/index.htm

txnetcop
January 22nd, 2016, 04:05
My first flight simulation was done on a giant redesigned Control Data 8600 mainframe in 1972 (called a Star Cyber something)...I remember it had something like 100 mhz speed. We were using FORTRAN compilers. I had Bruce Artwick's Flight Simulator on an Apple II in 1979-released to the public in 1980. I went to work for Sublogic and my first project was GATO, a submarine simulator. I have owned every version of Flight Simulator that was published. It got much better graphics after graduating to Macintosh in the late 90s. I got my love of flying from Flight Simulator and bought a old restored Cessna 140 when I lived in Livermore, CA 1984. Every time the weather was too bad for flying I flew my simulator.
Thanks for the memories!
Ted

Alan_A
January 22nd, 2016, 09:28
Started on MSFS for Apple Macintosh when it came out in the spring of 1986. So KOAK is my Meigs. Really need to visit there... and Meigs too, where I started a lot of flights to Kankakee and Champaign-Urbana thanks to Charlie Gulick's 40 Great Flight Simulator Adventures.

We've progressed by leaps and bounds but somehow I wonder if anything will ever seem as magical as learning IFR on a whited-out monochrome Mac screen...

jpmouse
January 22nd, 2016, 15:31
My first flight simulation was done on a giant redesigned Control Data 8600 mainframe in 1972 (called a Star Cyber something)...I remember it had something like 100 mhz speed. We were using FORTRAN compilers. I had Bruce Artwick's Flight Simulator on an Apple II in 1979-released to the public in 1980. I went to work for Sublogic and my first project was GATO, a submarine simulator. I have owned every version of Flight Simulator that was published. It got much better graphics after graduating to Macintosh in the late 90s. I got my love of flying from Flight Simulator and bought a old restored Cessna 140 when I lived in Livermore, CA 1984. Every time the weather was too bad for flying I flew my simulator.
Thanks for the memories!
Ted

I remember playing GATO for hours on end. You brought back fond memories.

Thanks

Sieggie
January 22nd, 2016, 17:12
Has anyone tried this without global? if so, how does it look?

Dave

kdl
January 22nd, 2016, 23:38
Not tried but I asked in the Orbx-forum, read here please:
http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/109757-me%C3%ADgs-without-ftx-global-base/#comment-986499

Dieter
(http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/109757-me%C3%ADgs-without-ftx-global-base/#comment-986499)

TARPSBird
January 22nd, 2016, 23:44
Has anyone tried this without global? if so, how does it look?
Dave
I was wondering the same thing. The Orbx page says it requires FTX Global but I'm still running
Windows XP and Global won't work with XP. Yes, I know I should upgrade my OS but it will be a
monumental job reloading everything.

mjrhealth
January 23rd, 2016, 11:29
I was wondering the same thing. The Orbx page says it requires FTX Global but I'm still running
Windows XP and Global won't work with XP. Yes, I know I should upgrade my OS but it will be a
monumental job reloading everything.

Not so if you do an upgrade of the OS, it allows you to keep all you programmes. may be some issues but it works with FSX, thats how I refreshed my OS. Works as long as you dont have registry issues. But than you will have to go to win10 and that might break some things.

dharris
January 24th, 2016, 06:49
I have been using the new Meigs from Orbx for about a week now and do not have global installed. I have several other's NA,Souther Cal, and a few others, I had the orbx scenery activated, and ran the Meigs software, looks pretty good, frames are decent. ALOT more modern looking than our old stand-by but worth the price of admission, if you don't have to buy global. One of the forum members said it "might" work so took a chance. Like it alot. Nice to have a midwestern-eastern airport that well done. Not going to update scenery, if one is offered, just in case they "fix" it.

vora
January 24th, 2016, 07:11
What do you mean with "fix" it?
So far all OrbX Global airports can stand alone as they come with everything they need (mesh, textures, photo ground, objects, AFCADs). The only thing you do need is the current OrbxLibs. It's just that they are made to blend best with underlying OrbX products (doh!). You can use them with default, UTX or similiar. They will stand out but work nonetheless on their own. Meigs is very uncritical in this regard.
I never tested it but I suspect that this is even true for their 80+ regional airports as well.

dharris
January 24th, 2016, 07:34
That statement is what I had been looking for before purchase, and no one could-would speak to the fact they would work well with out global. All I meant was fix was should they decide it is only for global is all.

vora
January 24th, 2016, 08:07
The OrbX authors have to blend a photo based scenery with a landclass based surrounding, a very meticulous work that only works with one defined set of landclass - their own. So officially they have to say that this defined set of landclass is a prerequiste for their scenery to work as advertised. Privately they will admit (as Alex, Jarrad, Ken etc. already did) that it will work without the underlying OrbX stuff, it just won't blend very well with the alternative surroundings.

Montie
January 24th, 2016, 10:11
Does anybody know how Meigs is performance vise?

dharris
January 24th, 2016, 12:55
Meigs is working quite well for me, frames are better than stock scenery. The Meigs scenery is a slight disappointment, because the hot dog cart is missing, used to see it on teh occasional visit. Now that I know the truth behind the orbyx scenery, stand alones, I may try others. Did not like having to buy global, when some of the mesh I have is much better, expecially the 5m I have for some locations, and the 2m for North Carolina, that LCSims did. I use his stuff in NC, IDaho, WV G. and of the highest quality. Would not want to put orbxy mesh there. Mountains in 2M mesh is perfect for low and slow flying.