PDA

View Full Version : My Build: Reviewed.

djscoo
February 2nd, 2009, 11:11
I must first state that all information contained in this post is based on my amateur opinion, and I am in no way a computer expert.

For the computer itself, I will highlight only the notable components.

I chose the Antec 900 case based on it's relatively low price, reliability and simplicity. I have so far been pleased with it, though I must note it is a real dust magnet. (it does not have dust filters)
I have noticed that the majority of people who are building i7 rigs are going with the ASUS motherboard. I however, chose the EVGA board. I am pleased with it thus far. It came with a scale, full color poster with labels on each component which helped in assembly. It also came with something called E-Leet which is CPU-z and some other stuff (I haven't overclocked yet...I'm waiting till I get an aftermarket cooler.)

I use some speakers I had previously with a sub-woofer, and my 22" tv as a monitor. I use one screen for TV, Xbox, and computer.

I basically read posts in this forum, asked questions and watched videos on Youtube to learn what to do. In the end it took like 3 hours for me to finish the build.

hews500d
February 2nd, 2009, 11:40
Congratulations on the new system. Looks like you got the same power supply I put in mine !

Darrell

kilo delta
February 2nd, 2009, 12:02
Congrats on the new rig, djscoo :ernae:

I'll be going for the Evga board too (it pays to have some contacts at Evga :friday:)

PS. For those that don't have dust filters on their PC chassis'.....cut up some tights (or pantyhose as you guys call 'em) and affix it to the inside of the case's intake. :)

Roger
February 2nd, 2009, 12:10
Home-brew is the way to go. Well done djscoo:applause:

harleyman
February 2nd, 2009, 12:34
A couple great pics.....Nicely done...Just having one built is very satifing to me...You can now take great pride when you tell all your friends that you built it...

EVGA are very good mobos for sure.....

The Asus is being somewhat problematic these days (X58)

stansdds
February 2nd, 2009, 15:07
Congrats on the new rig, djscoo :ernae:

I'll be going for the Evga board too (it pays to have some contacts at Evga :friday:)

PS. For those that don't have dust filters on their PC chassis'.....cut up some tights (or pantyhose as you guys call 'em) and affix it to the inside of the case's intake. :)
Used dryer sheets work well too. I find that two taped over the intake fans cuts out a tremendous amount of dust. Expect to change them once a month.