PDA

View Full Version : 'Goodyear & NASCAR'

Panther_99FS
October 7th, 2008, 09:30
http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/gurss-goodyear-should-not-be-part-of-the-story/

wombat666
October 7th, 2008, 11:15
Now what would happen if Goodyear just said 'Get stuffed' and departed the NASCAR arena ....... I rather like the thought!
:d

Panther_99FS
October 7th, 2008, 16:32
Now what would happen if Goodyear just said 'Get stuffed' and departed the NASCAR arena ....... I rather like the thought!

Firestone might take up the series with a far better tire! :d

wombat666
October 7th, 2008, 21:43
Ed, nobody would be stupid enough to pick up such thorny problem .... or would they?
:isadizzy:
I doubt the return on supplying a series (any series) is worth the apparant negative publicity.
My solution, one, and only one tyre compound and pattern, which every team pays for at a fixed price.
No short track tyres, no super-speedway tyres, just one oval track choice and the teams have to manage them.
My only deviation from the above would be a single choice for any road course.
But no freebies or favourites, period.
:kilroy:

Cazzie
October 8th, 2008, 08:45

It would be the best thing that could happen to NASCAR in a long while and the worst thing that could happen to Goodyear! :d

Caz

wombat666
October 9th, 2008, 04:20
You miss my point Caz, 'what if' no tyre manufacter took the plunge.
It has happened in F1 quite some time ago leaving several teams with prospect of running around on their rims.
In these financialy thin times it makes no sense to place your neck on the chopping block, more so when (viewed on the big picture) NASCAR is a 'US only' series and not worth the grief.
Love to see those barges negotiating Daytona on their rims ......... :d:d:d

Cazzie
October 9th, 2008, 11:49
Didn't miss your point at all wombat, I think NASCAR should look at other options and tell Goodyear to take a hike! I have never in my life seen the fiascos that Goodyear tires have caused in NASCAR this year. It's almost a joke in some instances like Indy, Atlanta, and Talladega.

Caz

wombat666
October 9th, 2008, 19:11
Didn't miss your point at all wombat, I think NASCAR should look at other options and tell Goodyear to take a hike! I have never in my life seen the fiascos that Goodyear tires have caused in NASCAR this year. It's almost a joke in some instances like Indy, Atlanta, and Talladega.
Caz

Caz,
'what if' there are no other options?
If (and I stress if) I were heading up large corporation in the rubber business, why would I want to pour large amounts of money into R&D for a (relatively) minor sport which expects to receive the product stemming from our effort for free?
Given the present financial storm I doubt that a sane board of directors would care for the reactions of their shareholders and financiers.
I rember when Hoosier entered NASCAR, we managed to get to the first Brickyard 400 in '94, and I was mightily impressed with Hoosiers being on pole.
Sadly, it all went downhill from there.
Bottom line IMHO, if you are not paying for a product then complaining about said product is not clever.
My solution, every team pays market value for their rubber, from any manufacturer who is prepared to supply them.