PDA

View Full Version : Milviz F4J anomoly

gray eagle
January 18th, 2016, 11:14
I never noticed before on the left side fuselage aft of the F4J, where the NAVY (below the A) is at, there is a little blinking light; See picture (circled in yellow). Someone at the Milviz forum did a repaint of the VX4 bird and this light was not as noticeable before till the VX4 repaint was offered. I added it to my aircraft.cfg and it was then that I saw a little red light blinking.
I've been around F4-B/J during my Naval career and have never, never seen such a thing. Please enlighten me, what purpose does it serve? IMHO, nothing. So why is it there?
There have been numerous NAVY repaints of this F4J (Milviz brand) and I finally noticed a circular object nestled within the letters NAVY. I was told by another re painter that this anomoly
is part of the model (MDL I guess). Some of the painters have managed to disguise this anomaly and was unnoticed till now. Looks like a mosquito bite.
I've looked at some of your F4E paints and did not detect this issue.

Edit: Thanks to inputs below, I now understand what the light in question was about. So, thanks to all that provided me with answers. :)

http://s10.postimg.org/huo7cd755/161.jpg

BPbobafett1982
January 18th, 2016, 11:37
What your pointing out is in fact part of the aircraft, it's an Angle of Roll light. It is a green light mounted flush on the left side of A/C below the cross bar of the "A" in Navy. LSO's used this light and the left wingtip navlight at night to determine the roll attitude of the aircraft on approach aboard ship. The light is energized when the gear are down with flaps selected 1/2 to full. In this state the light flashes. It becomes steady when the hook is selected down.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34071&stc=1

Also thank you for your service Grey Eagle.

This info is referenced from NAVAIR 01-245FDD-1 pages 1-99 and 1-100.

gray eagle
January 18th, 2016, 12:00
Appreciate your appreciation and thanks for the info.

Was this some sort of anti collision light. That photo you show, I'm curious as to what model of F-4 is that of.
I have a Natops manual - perhaps you can direct me to the section the covers this light. I am always wanting to learn about these things (broaden my horizons as they say) that I did not know before.
I'm an old dog that just never saw such a thing - I don't doubt what you say, it's just something that I wasn't aware of. What was the name or terminology used for this light?
I would of guessed anti-smash lights but the NAVY on the opposite side doesn't have this light.

Her is a pic of a real Navy F4 and I don't see this light near the A. Was this a F4B/J thing or what versions?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/F-4J_Phantom_of_VF-102_in_flight_c1977.jpg

BPbobafett1982
January 18th, 2016, 12:31
No prob Eagle.

"Was this some sort of anti collision light."

Nope, it was used as an external reference by the LSO on the carrier deck to make sure the A/C was wings level on the approach.

As far as i can tell it was present an all B and J models. The pic I used is of a J model but I've seen it on both navy and marine B and J models, and RAF J models.
The pic you have, it may be in the cross bar as it looks a bit thicker than most stencils I've seen.

Do a google search for NAVAIR 01-245FDD-1 click on the avialogs.com link (third one down for me) and you you can preview the pdf about half way down the page for free. The description is on pages 1-99 and 1-100 under Angle of Roll light.

henrystreet
January 18th, 2016, 13:10
love learning the little details.

~

gray eagle
January 18th, 2016, 13:11
I found the source material and read the info about the roll light. Wow, I must not of looked close enough or paid much attention back in the day to that detail. Thanks for your help :encouragement:
So I guess Milviz got it right. On some of the photos of the real F4J's of a left side view,I didn't see this light. Maybe it was so small and not as visible until at night when the pilots were
making night traps.
:adoration:

No prob Eagle.

"Was this some sort of anti collision light."

Nope, it was used as an external reference by the LSO on the carrier deck to make sure the A/C was wings level on the approach.

As far as i can tell it was present an all B and J models. The pic I used is of a J model but I've seen it on both navy and marine B and J models, and RAF J models.
The pic you have, it may be in the cross bar as it looks a bit thicker than most stencils I've seen.

Do a google search for NAVAIR 01-245FDD-1 click on the avialogs.com link (third one down for me) and you you can preview the pdf about half way down the page for free. The description is on pages 1-99 and 1-100 under Angle of Roll light.

gray eagle
January 18th, 2016, 13:13
Me too. I'll bet the Aviation Electricians (AE's) knew about those lights. :untroubled:

love learning the little details.

~

strykerpsg
January 18th, 2016, 14:59
If KrazyColin is reading this, I sure hope you have an answer for what I am about to ask.......

Would truly appreciate to have this fixed (patch maybe) and reissued to the customers that paid good $$$$ for it. I've always looked to Milviz and some other Devs for perfection, dedication and research for accuracy in rendering top notch products, and for the most part, this one is. Just this one issue I sure would like to see resolved. Thanks for your time.

Their attention to detail is certainly why few complain about their prices. It's the small things often overlooked by others that set them above the rest. Great explanation from the SOH team. Perhaps your initial wording was also a bit strong.....just saying.

gray eagle
January 18th, 2016, 16:08
Okay, I have "softened" some of my initial comments (edits) to my first post and it should not read "so strong". :adoration:

Their attention to detail is certainly why few complain about their prices. It's the small things often overlooked by others that set them above the rest. Great explanation from the SOH team. Perhaps your initial wording was also a bit strong.....just saying.

strykerpsg
January 18th, 2016, 16:40
Thanks Gray Eagle. After seeing how much the team pays attention to small details, I thought it was a bit hard. I apologize to all for not taking it to private message. I also was able to learn something new about this beauty in the process. :encouragement:

gray eagle
January 20th, 2016, 11:01
I wish to apologize to the Milviz people (Kolin) for any offensive comments I made about their F4J and the issues I was having. I thank the members here who graciously helped and
and guided me to the facts/answers concerning the issues I posted.

Hopefully , this will help heal and make amends for any transgressions I may of made.

strykerpsg
January 21st, 2016, 18:52
Gray Eagle, PM sent.