PDA

View Full Version : Flightsim yoke modification: looks easy enough!

Navy Chief
January 18th, 2016, 10:41
I think I may try this. :encouragement: NC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXNaKxtUNMg

ViperPilot2
January 18th, 2016, 10:53
I performed a similar Mod on my CH Eclipse; instead of the zip tie/rubber band method, I used 2 short lengths of Surgical tubing, and used a couple of short, self tapping Machine screws with Washers to attach the Tubing to the piece on the Yoke shaft.

All in all, it gave the Yoke a much softer feel and got rid of the 'screen door' sound when the Springs were stretched.

Alan :encouragement:

n4gix
January 19th, 2016, 09:42
Hum, I have a "back-up" CH Yoke I may as well experiment with. If I like it, I can then modify my working CH Yoke. :encouragement:

Navy Chief
January 19th, 2016, 12:43
Last night I was searching for rubber bands thick enough, but couldn't find any. I ended up using some small elastic hair bands my wife had. Not as strong a tension as I'd like, but that may preferable. Will check and report my findings.:encouragement: NC

jojohnson9
January 19th, 2016, 15:35
I have not used my yoke in years due to the strong springs. After seeing this post I think I can get it fixed. One thought, why not just replace the springs with ones with less tension? I'm going to go spring shopping and will report back how it works.

napacon
January 19th, 2016, 16:28
A U-Tube HOW TOO ?is available for this ....Has anyone attempted to mechanically center CH PRO Pedals this way??....Thnx!

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/81CUO6gBpdL._SX522__zpstwktlvbd.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/81CUO6gBpdL._SX522__zpstwktlvbd.jpg.html)

roger-wilco-66
January 19th, 2016, 21:32
I have not used my yoke in years due to the strong springs. After seeing this post I think I can get it fixed. One thought, why not just replace the springs with ones with less tension? I'm going to go spring shopping and will report back how it works.

Same here, also what I thought. I think the rubber method also has the problem that most rubber band tend to deteriorate over time. Our local hardware store has a huge assortment of springs, I'll check if I find some proper ones!

Cheers,
Mark

jojohnson9
January 21st, 2016, 09:17

Finding springs is harder than I thought. Gonna have to go to Portland (Maine) next week. Hope to find some in the "big" city. Until than, I'll try the rubber bands...I've got lots of them.

Navy Chief
January 22nd, 2016, 07:16
Although I a sure the rubber bands will wear out from friction, and just dry rot (in time), but taking the yoke apart is simple enough. Hardest thing I encountered was finding the proper size screw driver for the task. :encouragement:NC

I have not tested the yoke in sim yet, but might today......

Update:

I briefly tested the yoke, and the modification is definitely an improvement. It is much, much easier to make slight control corrections.

This will make carrier ops much easier. Nothing worse than over-correcting during a carrier approach. NC