PDA

View Full Version : David Bowie - One of the best. Gone.

wombat666
January 11th, 2016, 00:41
David Bowie, one of the most influential performers in music history, dies at the age of 69 after an 18-month battle with cancer, with his family requesting privacy as they deal with their grief.

Born David Jones in London on January 8 1947, Bowie released 26 studio albums across his almost 50-year career, including a string of 10 LPs in the 1970s that are among the most influential albums of all time.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame in 1996.

I grew up listening to and watching the genius of David Bowie. He was a master of re-invention, who kept getting it right. A huge loss.

His career spanned the decades and genres from 1969 ('Space Oddity') through to 2016 ('Blackstar) a new album which marked his 69th birthday.

Bowie was controversial, confronting and at times just strange, but he was NEVER boring or mundane.

sixstrings5859
January 11th, 2016, 01:59
Can't believe he is gone. Will be a great loss for many. RIP

Ickie
January 11th, 2016, 02:45
I'll always remember "Wam Bam Thank You Mam"

johndetrick
January 11th, 2016, 02:54
Sad news indeed. I have been a big fan since the early seventies, have always had something of his close at hand to listen to. His music was always just a bit different. Not the usual syrupy love ballads or redemption songs. A lot of them would have offhand references to obscure philosophers and artists. During interviews he would sometimes reference other little know philosophers or ideas. And there I would go, looking it up to find out what he was talking about. Anyway a brilliant man, perhaps the last of the true Renaissance Men.

Rami
January 11th, 2016, 03:43
Wombat,

Thank you for acknowledging this. I wore black today to work in his honor. To me, David Bowie was the consummate artist; he transcended music, fashion, and art into an entity all his own. He pioneered in many ways the idea of re-inventing yourself not just musically, but your entire persona. Ziggy Stardust paved the way for artists like Garth Brooks (Chris Gaines) and Prince. (The Artist formerly known as...)

His musical tastes influenced a whole generation of musicians, and his concept albums were fantastic. I didn't like everything that he did, but I was always fascinated by it, and it always left me wondering what he was going to do next. That is a gift in itself.

At least he and Freddie Mercury will be able to sing duets again. :mixed-smiley-010:

When I heard that he passed, these are the first things that came to mind...

Space Oddity, Ziggy Stardust, Changes, Let's Dance, Under Pressure, and Labyrinth.

nigel richards
January 11th, 2016, 06:15
Uniquely brilliant in his use of musical and lyrical metaphors.

Supremely symbolic;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP6xBFyA_aw

Often painfully touching and abstract;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAo7YeRkJYo

Often hauntingly sensual;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fHoMw8tCzo

A musical genius always.

Tako_Kichi
January 11th, 2016, 06:53
A sad loss, one of my all time favourite musicians. His Space Oddity album was one that sparked my interest in music, along with Electric Warrior by T.Rex. I still have both of them in pristine condition in my vinyl collection.

Odie
January 19th, 2016, 14:18
First discovered him with Space Oddity but didn't connect again until the video age of the 1980s. Let's Dance and China Girl always get a listen when they play on the classic rock station.