PDA

View Full Version : best wishes for the residents of Yarloo

Daveroo
January 9th, 2016, 06:46
the town of Yarloo near Perth Australia was pretty much destroyed recently,reminding me of the fires here in northern california,these people have lost everything.my thoughts are with them at this time.

Daveroo
January 9th, 2016, 18:15
sorry its the town of Yarloop..not yarloo..

AussieMan
January 9th, 2016, 19:25
Unfortunately 2 bodies have been found in burnt out houses. This fire is so unpredictable. Lightning started the fire last Wednesday and at the moment is uncontrollable.

SPman
January 10th, 2016, 16:57
We've been having a lot of thunderstorms here lately, so lightning strikes are common. On Friday driving into the next small town down from us, there was a strike in a paddock next to the road and whamm.....the grass ignited and burnt out about 10 acres in 5 mins! Luckily some rain followed and dampened everything down, but, without the rain, it would've been game on....a large amount of bush was only another 100 m away on rising ground........as in North Cal - I think things are only going to get worse - it's already been the worst year for fires here in WA and there are still some months to go.......

Daveroo
January 10th, 2016, 18:49
yeah i feel for you guys.i had read about the two men who were found.shame.were always telling people to just leave,and leave early with what you can.im always telling people to have fire proof safes,burried in concrete too.with.hopefully a concrete top over the opening safe door.....another thing about the fire in Aus is that one bridge,the caption said the asphalt melted which caused it to colapse,though it looked to me that the heat of the fire caused the metal under it to weaken and then fail...wild..never seen that.

wombat666
January 10th, 2016, 22:12
We've been sitting tight and hoping the Great Ocean Road and Ottways fires stay quiet, the next few days are looking like another worrying period.
The fire in the Ottways is still burning and it is so inaccessible to aircraft and ground units that it could flare up any time.
Fire all the way across the Southern States and flooding in the North.
The Yarloop fire was nasty, shame they lost two people.
:australia: