PDA

View Full Version : Plane Design Mk, XVI Spitfire

Wings of Gold
January 8th, 2016, 06:56
Probably (IMHO) the prettiest Spitfire model ever done is the Plane Design XVI. It ports to FSX with no problem - except for those pesky gauges (which have no needles). Does anyone remember a fix or discussion of this issue?

Bill

dhazelgrove
January 8th, 2016, 07:36
You could probably use the RealAir gauges, if you have them.

Dave

rgatkinson
January 8th, 2016, 07:43
Probably (IMHO) the prettiest Spitfire model ever done is the Plane Design XVI. It ports to FSX with no problem - except for those pesky gauges (which have no needles). Does anyone remember a fix or discussion of this issue?

Bill

Hi Bill,

I agree with you entirely, she's beautiful and, as you say, the model does port over nicely to FSX. I spent several weeks last year exchanging ideas and suggestions on several forums trying to find a solution to the gauge needle problem - I failed miserably :-(

I wish you better luck - if you do find a cure I'd be real interested in knowing it :-)

I even had a go at a couple of repaints

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh565/rgatkinson/Spit1.png~original

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh565/rgatkinson/Spit%2016.png~original

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh565/rgatkinson/Spit%20E2C.png~original (fictional!)

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh565/rgatkinson/FS9_PD_Spit_XVI.png~original

Regards,

Taff

Wings of Gold
January 8th, 2016, 10:02
The RealAir gauges aren't usable as the panel.cfg file doesn't show what you need to know. I have the RealAir Spitfires, so if there is a way that I don't know able - tell me. I'm going to look at the JF Mk.V.

Bill

Wings of Gold
January 8th, 2016, 11:50
Hi RG,

I'm starting to understand the problem. The gauges work fine in the 2D, but are built into the model for the VC. I have tried to see if inserting a gauge into the VCockpit01 will show anything - but it doesn't (if I am putting it within view).

The sad thing for me is that my friend Wayne Tudor could have looked at this for a few minutes and told me whether this was a hopeless case - or not.

I'll send you a PM.

Bill

DaveB
January 8th, 2016, 12:09
Yup.. the VC gauges in Ed's Spit are modelled (as the RealAir Spit). Ed was the first person outside RealAir to do this as I remember. I think the panel lines look a bit overstated on all the paints I have for it but it's still a nice model and worth dragging over;)

ATB
DaveB:)

thunder100
January 8th, 2016, 12:38
I dont have the plane-real air is enough but look with DTX-BMP prgramm through the textures-->you will find the gauges one-->flip texture and alpha and safe as DDS texture-->they may appeare again

Roland

Wings of Gold
January 8th, 2016, 16:22
I found the answer, and have tested it, Don't know how I previously missed it. Go to Flightsim.com and download "planedesign_vc_spitfiremk16tofsx.zip" He provides a couple of executables that will fix both the holes in the panel, as well as provide the needles for the beautiful gauges. My Norton doesn't like executables that it hasn't seen a lot, but I overrode it, and had no problem. This cures the best Spit for use in FSX. Bill

JensOle
January 9th, 2016, 01:44
Have anybody tested this portover in p3d?

Im sure a normal IXe high rear fusealge would have made this model more popular back in the days as the realair model only has the IXc armament with mg's. Repaint possibilities would have been massive.

Wings of Gold
January 9th, 2016, 06:52
Hi Jens-Ole,

The sad part is that Ed (Plane Design) had several Spits in work - including hi back versions. I have the models and some of the other testers have both the models and some of his new textures. Ed then got pulled away by the Real World, and never returned. Many of us have pleaded with him to finish (or even release what he has to others). All to no avail. The current XVI is a superb model.

Bill

Cees Donker
January 9th, 2016, 08:20
I 've got something funny with this plane: the flaps keep coming down every 10 seconds? Only the clipped wing version BTW!

:dizzy:

Cees

WarHorse47
January 9th, 2016, 10:55
I found the answer, and have tested it, Don't know how I previously missed it. Go to Flightsim.com and download "planedesign_vc_spitfiremk16tofsx.zip" He provides a couple of executables that will fix both the holes in the panel, as well as provide the needles for the beautiful gauges. My Norton doesn't like executables that it hasn't seen a lot, but I overrode it, and had no problem. This cures the best Spit for use in FSX. BillWonder why there was no fix for the standard elliptical model? Anyways, I still get a lot of flickering with gauge needles to the point where I seldom fly this beauty. Anyone experiencing the same after applying the gauge patch for fsx?

Cees Donker
January 9th, 2016, 10:59
I have the flickering too, but I find the flaps more of a hindrance.

Cees

rgatkinson
January 9th, 2016, 11:08
Wonder why there was no fix for the standard elliptical model? Anyways, I still get a lot of flickering with gauge needles to the point where I seldom fly this beauty. Anyone experiencing the same after applying the gauge patch for fsx?

Yep, the fix didn't work for me either. I wonder if it may also be something to do with your GFX card type and/or its settings? However, it obviously works for Bill so it can work in some instances.

Taff

rgatkinson
January 9th, 2016, 11:10
I have the flickering too, but I find the flaps more of a hindrance.

Cees

Don't recall experiencing that particular problem and as I have don't FSX installed at the mo I can't even check - sorry.

Taff

CavOk
January 10th, 2016, 02:34
I found the answer, and have tested it, Don't know how I previously missed it. Go to Flightsim.com and download "planedesign_vc_spitfiremk16tofsx.zip" He provides a couple of executables that will fix both the holes in the panel, as well as provide the needles for the beautiful gauges. My Norton doesn't like executables that it hasn't seen a lot, but I overrode it, and had no problem. This cures the best Spit for use in FSX. Bill

I can report that it works in Prepar3dv3.1
Mike

dhasdell
January 10th, 2016, 06:47
Are there repaints uploaded anywhere, please?

Sundog
January 10th, 2016, 08:26
Are there repaints uploaded anywhere, please?

I have the original extra textures we released right after the release of the Spitfire. They were originally made by Darrin "Hammerd" Covington. I no longer have contact with him, so I'm checking with Ed to see if he thinks it's OK for me to post them here with proper attribution.

Sundog
January 17th, 2016, 19:45
I've uploaded the extra textures made by Hammerd to the SOH library, the original texture artist for our Spitfire and the limited paint kit originally made for it if anyone is interested. As all of these were originally freeware extra releases for the Spitfire when it went on sale Ed and I felt it was alright to re-post them, as they were originally available at other sites which have since lost them.

They were made for FS9, but I assume they will work fine for those of you who have moved the Spitfire XVI to FSX.

If you use the paint kit for any reason, our only request is that you give credit to Hammerd from Plane Design.

Best regards,

Ken

dhasdell
January 21st, 2016, 07:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTXWDsDsLXM

Barfly
January 21st, 2016, 20:57
I can also confirm it works with the above mods in P3D 3.1; it looks very contemporary with perfect dimensions, good animations and sounds, and is especially enhanced with the latest P3D shadowing and accufeel. With a minor .cfg edit is a beautiful flyer. I changed Pitch stability from 1.0 to 2.0 to reduce what seems an odd amount of negative stability, especially noticeable when the nose drops when flying at lower than trimmed airspeed. Pitch moment imparted by elevator control feels good, just stab seemed a bit off. Not a perfect solution, but feels right, and the roll and yaw stability and control effectiveness are suberb.

This is (I think) the third time I've bought and download the PD Spit. With mods the interior textures and gauge animations look ok in FSX-SE, but it looks great in P3d V3.1. I have some of the other popular spits, this is the most fun to fly!

Sundog
January 22nd, 2016, 15:56
I can also confirm it works with the above mods in P3D 3.1; it looks very contemporary with perfect dimensions, good animations and sounds, and is especially enhanced with the latest P3D shadowing and accufeel. With a minor .cfg edit is a beautiful flyer. I changed Pitch stability from 1.0 to 2.0 to reduce what seems an odd amount of negative stability, especially noticeable when the nose drops when flying at lower than trimmed airspeed. Pitch moment imparted by elevator control feels good, just stab seemed a bit off. Not a perfect solution, but feels right, and the roll and yaw stability and control effectiveness are suberb.

This is (I think) the third time I've bought and download the PD Spit. With mods the interior textures and gauge animations look ok in FSX-SE, but it looks great in P3d V3.1. I have some of the other popular spits, this is the most fun to fly!

With the rear fuel tank full it was unstable. That's why that tank had to be burned off first. IIRC, later on they ordered the rear tank not to be filled to avoid the pitch instability. Other than that, the flight responses were dead on according to Andy Sephton, a former RAF Test pilot and Spitfire pilot who developed the FDE along with Jerry Beckwith and Ed. Having said that, I think he made it using one of the old Sidewinder Joysticks, as the type of joy stick you have will change how the flight response feel. It's one reason I wish we had the time to develop a gauge that would adjust the flight settings based on the type of joystick someone uses. That's just something to note, glad you're enjoying it.

Barfly
January 23rd, 2016, 20:02
Thanks Sundog your team did an exceptional job all around. I agree the control feel seems spot on (I've never flown a spit :)) , but there are limitations with using a joystick interface as you mention and some limitations within modifications available in the airfile itself, particularly with pitch character. Subjective control of pitch during flight is good, but the nose has a tendency to continue pitch without control input, without damping or oscillation as speed moves away from trimmed speed. If cg and center of lift were so close to exhibit that level of instability, then sensitivity with even small stick movements in a trimmed condition would make control difficult and PIO a problem. I know the real aircraft were light and sensitive in pitch, it just seems a slightly odd mix of dynamic and static stability, that is somewhat characteristic of limitations of FSX airfiles (IMO). The rest is 100% believable. The minor edit I made to my copy fixes the dynamic issue a little, makes elevator a little less responsive than your team probably intended, but works better overall with my T16000 joystick.

I'm really nitpicking here though :). There are only a few developers out there that can combine experienced pilots on type, with capable FDE designers, 3d modelers and painters, and put together a total package like this. Nice to behold and fun to fly!

JamieC
December 7th, 2016, 03:49
Is this Spit actually available to buy anywhere?

I was originally reluctant to buy it due to the issues mentioned, but now I know there is a fix I might give it a go.

Cheers
Jamie

DaveB
December 7th, 2016, 07:13
I'm not sure if Ed still has his store open but you can certainly buy the Spit at Simmarket.

ATB
DaveB:)

Seahawk72s
October 28th, 2018, 15:50
Yep, the fix didn't work for me either. I wonder if it may also be something to do with your GFX card type and/or its settings? However, it obviously works for Bill so it can work in some instances.

Taff

Bumping this up to make current as I too have flickering needles after applying the patch. (yes, a hail Mary play)

Sundog
October 28th, 2018, 16:21
I haven't seen the flickering needles on my system and I can't really test it now, because I'm all in, in P3Dv4. I also haven't seen the flap issue Cees suffered from. Ed could probably fix all of those problems, but he is even busier in RL than he was before. ;)