PDA

View Full Version : Curious about Abacus - FS Repaint

ian elliot
January 6th, 2016, 10:50
As im a casual repainter, nothing good enough to release, ive always been curious about this program, what exactly does it do thats different from your standard paint programs, is it worth investing in or better to master regular programs like PSP ect, just wondering if anyone here use's it.

cheers ian

DaveB
January 6th, 2016, 10:57
It's a useful tool to see your repaints in 3D (so to speak) without having to flash the sim up. The paint side of it is pony so you really need an 'outside' program but as a viewer.. it's ok. You can zoom in, move around e t c.. pretty much as you can do in MCX but easier if anything. It hasn't been updated in years as far as I can see. I had v1 once upon a time and tried v2 but it wanted to move some default file and I wasn't struck on that happening. Reviews on it at Abacus aren't exactly brimming with praise.
ATB
DaveB:)

rsgunner
January 6th, 2016, 11:23
I don't know if it has been updated recently. The program could not read all the MDL variants correctly.

I did use it a great deal when I was doing repaints. It was a time saver.

Russ

mikewmac
January 6th, 2016, 11:28
There used to be a demo version of FS Repaint that allowed the 3D viewing of your FS9 WIP paint projects that I found very useful, but I don't know if it is still available.

falcon409
January 6th, 2016, 12:54
For FS9 and some early FSX repaints it worked perfectly as a "viewer" when using an outside paint program for doing the actual paint work. As "native" FSX models became more and more the norm, the program floundered. . .most of the time it couldn't display dds files at all. Got rid of it many moons ago and use MCX now for checking repaints.

Cees Donker
January 7th, 2016, 06:52
Better save your cash for something else IMHO.

Cees

CodyValkyrie
January 7th, 2016, 07:10
As a side note, Abacus is a very interesting company. They were one of the very first payware companies to produce products for Flight Simulator as far back as FS5.0, if not earlier. I remember getting their development tools back in the day to create custom paints and aircraft, and then sharing them with people on Compuserve with the greats at the time like Chuck Dome or on my local BBS. Things were much different then.

jankees
January 7th, 2016, 09:43
I still use it as a viewer occasionally, much faster than starting up the sim