PDA

View Full Version : FDG2 F6F-5 Hellcat repaints

UncleTgt
January 3rd, 2016, 12:07
I've also started working on some repaints for the FDG2 F6F-5 (late).

I've gotten the MS Hellcat teplates to fit the FDG bird reasonably well. First up, I used alpha channels on the tail to square up the fin & painted in some quarterlight windows to get me back to a Hellcat Mk1 (F6F-3).

First try is Lt. John (Jack) Haberfield's mount from 1839 squadron FAA, circa end of December 1944.

dog1
January 3rd, 2016, 15:24
Skins for the FDG Hellcats are badly needed, both the the -3 and -5. It's the best Hellcat for CFS2 by far.

Allen
January 3rd, 2016, 15:25
Do any of the F6Fs we have in the lib have the rear windows model-ed into them?

Rami
January 3rd, 2016, 15:30
John,

If you use the search feature, and put "Hellcat" in the "Search text," then select the CFS2 skins section, and put "RobH" in the username block, it will give you all of the ones he did for the Americans and the British.

UncleTgt
January 4th, 2016, 08:00
Allen,

Captain Kurt used alphas to create them on the OH stocker for his VF-19 Satan's Kittens campaign. I just painted them on this FDG2 Hellcat.

Allen
January 4th, 2016, 09:41
I see. I'll add re-doing the stock F6F to the rebuild list so I can do the side window version.

Captain Kurt
January 4th, 2016, 11:49
Hi Allen. If you do see if you can straighten out the severe skin distortion on the tail. It makes repainting the tail with any symbols or numbers a real nightmare.

Allen
January 4th, 2016, 11:53
Oh yeah distortion. I recall that. It was pain in the * when I did a Uruguay texture for the Hellcat.

dog1
January 4th, 2016, 20:25
i'm confused.I have the FDG Hellcat F6F5 and loads of skins from here but did FDG produce a F6F3 model and skins and did anyone else make any skins for it ?

Rami
January 5th, 2016, 05:08
Dog1,

Nope, but I did an F6F-3 model for myself using RobH's repaints and adjusting the .air and .cfg files to approximate the earlier mark's performance.

dog1
January 6th, 2016, 19:13
RAMI
so besides the OH F6F3 are there any other recomendable models ?

Rami
January 7th, 2016, 00:07
Dog1,

The best you can get is the FDGv2 Hellcat model. In my performance package, I provided the files needed to convert the plane into a makeshift -3 version...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=17&id=6469

UncleTgt
January 7th, 2016, 03:25
It seems the FDG model also has its issues with skin distortion.

Here's some screengrabs of Blythe Richie's Hellcat Mk1 from 800 sqn FAA, together with a copy of the bitmap I used to get the roundels to display with the minimum of distortion...:dizzy::banghead:

Rami
January 7th, 2016, 03:27
John,

You're your own worst critic, my friend. If you hadn't have told me, I would have never known. You really can't tell...outstanding work! :very_drunk:

UncleTgt
January 7th, 2016, 03:31
Andrew,

I'm stealing myself to try & put some D-Day stripes on it next :cower:. Goodness knows how awkward some of the US '45 geometric markings might be ...

Rami
January 7th, 2016, 03:57
John,

Why don't you use RobH's versions as a template? It might make life a little easier for you...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=58&id=6984

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=58&id=6977

I'm sure he won't mind if you just give him a heads-up with a PM.

TheBookie
January 7th, 2016, 13:51
D-Day Hellcat.

Rami
January 8th, 2016, 00:47
Good morning,

You know....reading this thread and watching the cooperation and collaboration occurring is just another example of why the CFS2 forum is so awesome. Great work! :biggrin-new:

UncleTgt
January 8th, 2016, 00:59
The underside of the flaps are both mapped to the port side, so it took a lot of trial & error to get the fit right...

UncleTgt
January 8th, 2016, 06:31
First try at a BPF Operation Iceberg Hellcat. MkII (F6F-5)

UncleTgt
January 11th, 2016, 03:38
Whilst Allen & Captain Kurt are re-engineering the stocker, I'm plodding on with painting the FDG Hellcat. I completed a slew of skins this weekend, here are a few of them, including a FRII ...

Rami
January 11th, 2016, 03:48
Whilst Allen & Captain Kurt are re-engineering the stocker, I'm plodding on with painting the FDG Hellcat. I completed a slew of skins this weekend, here are a few of them, including a FRII ...

John,

Many thanks on my end for working with the FDG model. The FAA crews attacking the Tirpitz send their thanks! :ernaehrung004:

UncleTgt
January 11th, 2016, 03:59
Andrew, no worries :encouragement:

This is better shot of the FRII Hellcat, 888 squadron FAA, Indian Ocean 1945, it shows the painted on camera fairings. These were necessary because the lens of the F.52 cameras fitted protruded out of the fuselage. The US recon Hellcats didn't need any such oil/rain splash guards. Well we Brits do like to tinker with stuff... who knows why we couldn't just use US cameras:dizzy:...

Captain Kurt
January 13th, 2016, 00:39
LOL You must have been editing while I was typing my post. I just noticed one last thing. There should be a pitot under the right wing tip.

Regarding a cut out to view backwards. Yes there was but it wasn't very big. Makes you wonder why they bothered. But then, it's the armor plate that covers it up, so maybe the armor was more of an afterthought.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33894&stc=1

bub
January 13th, 2016, 04:08
Captain,
You can try the way I did Mauro's pilot in the Wildcats. Either way works. Pick the "path of least resistance".
Bob

gaucho_59
January 13th, 2016, 16:09
Here we go!

New test version and it is now a early F6F-5 with side windows. Every thing about the model is the same but with out the bugs! Just a new folder name and in game title.

How do you put an attachment here so it can be downloaded?...
I would help me a lot, instead of using emails...
Thanks in advance,
Carlos

Milton Shupe
January 13th, 2016, 16:34
How do you put an attachment here so it can be downloaded?...
I would help me a lot, instead of using emails...
Thanks in advance,
Carlos

Carlos,

Create folder and drop your file in it.
Then, zip it up and upload just as you would an image.
It will show as a zip file and be downloaded using the Save As function when clicked on.

Allen
January 13th, 2016, 18:50
gaucho_59

First click Manage Attachments

A window will pop-up. On it click Add Files. A drop down will open and click Browse.

This will open another window that will let your browse your PC for the file you want to attach. Once you find it click on it and than Open

Now click on Upload.

The file is now attached to the post. Now to Insert Line. This lets you place an attachement in the text l i'm doing now. If you don't use a Insert Line you attachment will be listed below your text in a group. Click Insert Line.

The Arrow is pointing at your attachmet as text. The text is the attachments ID number.

Back on pic 2 the green arrow points to a + next to the Upload button. This + will give more click-able Browse boxes so you can upload multiple things at once but this can be some what confusing when trying to arrange pics.

UncleTgt
January 20th, 2016, 13:08
In case people are wondering.

I got moved onto another (TOP SECRET) project, but I'm now back to this, & currently working on Fleet Air Arm specific loadouts using Bismark13's Beaufighter weapons. Seems the RN used offset single bombloads (carried on the stbd pylon) on the MkI early on (like the RN Corsair - what were they thinking of!!!). Later, in the Indian Ocean & BPF service they carried 8 x 60lb RPs, & not the US 5" navy rockets...

I haven't forgotten about the US Navy PB4Y paints either, & will get back to completing the squadron specific skins next.

UncleTgt
January 25th, 2016, 01:34
some Indian Ocean CVE-based Hellcats, giving the UK weapon dp file a try out...

UncleTgt
January 28th, 2016, 03:44
I'll quit playing around & start compiling packs for upload. :running:

Worthless
January 28th, 2016, 05:49
Thanks for the pics Uncle. Pretty work!

expat
May 17th, 2016, 06:17
Anyone know why the FDG2 Hellcat model is no longer in the SOH Library (or anywhere else for that matter)? Looking for the FS9 model to make up some AI. Can anyone help?

Rami
May 17th, 2016, 06:23
Good morning,

It is in the library. Search the library with the username FDGv2.

expat
May 17th, 2016, 06:56
Rami, thanks so much, found it.

Question: I have had good luck "converting" some of the SOH FDG2 aircraft into ai for use in FSX. Some models work, others do not ("visual model could not be displayed"). I have almost everything I need for PTO Solomons - F4U, F4F, SBD but getting a decent AI Hellcat - in particularly the FDG model - is proving elusive. Found a conversion of the CFS2 model at simviation but would ideally like the FDG2 model - assuming there was a separate FS9 model and it will appear in FSX!

Thanks again for your fast reply.

expat

Allen
May 17th, 2016, 14:45
Is there something wrong with the stock/OH F6F?

expat
May 17th, 2016, 22:33
I found a FSX conversion that works but I like the look of the FDG model and want to use the paints made for it - thanks.

Allen
May 17th, 2016, 22:43
I have the stock F6F-3 converted into a gMax file. I used to make an Early F6F-5 with the back windows and Late with out the back windows. I also fixed many of the texture flaws and de-mirrored the texture.

Captain Kurt
May 18th, 2016, 16:21
Both the FDG2 and the stock models have shape errors. But they are different errors so it's just a personal choice as to which one you personally feel looks closer to the real plane. Personally I prefer the reworked Allen / stock F6F profile vs the FDG2 profile.
:untroubled:

Devildog73
May 20th, 2016, 13:19
I am fairly certain the FDG2 Hellcat IIs are going to end up in BPF missions......

:very_drunk: