PDA

View Full Version : It's That Time Of Year Again

stovall
January 2nd, 2016, 08:59
If you haven't already noticed the progress bar at the top of each page it is that time of year again. Yep that time for you to dig into your pockets and send any loose change to the SOH "2016 Charter Membership Drive". It is your contribution to this drive that keep the SOH afloat and the wonderful meeting place it is.

So please dig deep and help keep SOH afloat for another great year. Our target date is the first week of February.

Paul Anderson
January 3rd, 2016, 16:37
For budgeting purposes, could a contribution ending target date be shown?

flaviossa
January 3rd, 2016, 17:18
Yes, iŽd ask for the end date too, because this period my credit card is yet recovering from Christmas madness.... :monkies:
Later this month i will be more confortable to do my every year contribution, thanks!

stovall
January 3rd, 2016, 18:00
Target date is the first week of February. Thanks to all for any and all help.

CodyValkyrie
January 4th, 2016, 21:09
This year I had a little extra. It's not much, but hopefully it helps. You guys have provided excellent service and entertainment to me for many years, and I'm always happy to contribute.

flaviossa
January 5th, 2016, 08:17
Alright, just did my little contribution. Would contribute with more, but the dollar conversion here in my country is 4x: 1US$ = 4R$, so like US$20,00 = R$80,00. Wel...

Thanks staff for the wonderful place for all this years. For me , it has been a pleasure to be part of the comunity.
Happy 2016 to you all :encouragement:

harrybasset
January 5th, 2016, 10:31
I'm in again as I really appreciate 99.9% of what this community offers. I'm not too impressed with someone doing an impression of Robot number 5 from the movie " Short Circuit" but it takes all sorts I suppose.

jankees
January 5th, 2016, 10:54
first time online after my move to a new home, paying for the soh home. Money well spent in my opinion.

Odie
January 6th, 2016, 09:40
Gotta keep a roof over our collective sim heads for the next year! Will add some more shekels come payday.

doublecool
January 6th, 2016, 15:40
Done, and Done :wavey::applause::applause::applause:

fsxar177
January 7th, 2016, 15:47
I'm still trying to figure out how, on God's green earth, that SOH takes that much to survive each year. But, whatever...

Dangerousdave26
January 7th, 2016, 16:47
I'm still trying to figure out how, on God's green earth, that SOH takes that much to survive each year. But, whatever...

You asked the same question last year.

I answered it here. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?92197-Deadline-Is-Getting-Close&p=932782&viewfull=1#post932782

Penzoil3
January 7th, 2016, 17:29
Done here too. Come on guys, if a retired widow on a limited income can donate, you can too ! Every little bit helps.
Sue

glh
January 7th, 2016, 18:17
You asked the same question last year.

I answered it here. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?92197-Deadline-Is-Getting-Close&p=932782&viewfull=1#post932782

Dave:

I went back and re-read your post from January 27 of last year. I believe that it stated we have about 4,000 active members and the site was attempting to reach a goal of US$13,000.

I would suggest to the admins that perhaps it is time to consider a membership dues policy. If the annual membership dues were US$5 and (assuming) every active member paid, that would be $20,000 in the pot and should more than cover expenses at this point in time. If only $15,000 is spent in a year, everybody gets a $1 credit and dues are $4 next year.

I dunno but if members who own computer equipment, flight sim software, etc. can't kick in $5 per year for support and access, they're in the wrong hobby. That's about the cheapest annual rate of any pay-for-membership site that I am aware of.

Members like to run polls to vote for favorite aircraft, which ones they'd like to see and so forth. Perhaps it is time for a vote on a pay-for-membership [US$ X.00/per year due on January 1 of the new year] policy. Let everyone know when the due date is -- we are all smart enough to know to save $X prior to the date (I hope). I know I can afford $5 or thereabouts for a membership.

Just my $.02.

wellis
January 7th, 2016, 18:26
first time online after my move to a new home, paying for the soh home. Money well spent in my opinion.

Having benefited greatly from this site over the last six years I couldn't agree more...

No Dice
January 7th, 2016, 18:53
Maybe people that do not run web sites; plus forums have no clue what the cost can be.

The Free Flight Site alone cost is $25.00 US a month and it is tiny blip compared to the SOH.

They get $3.75 for a cup of coffee here. I can make my own for a week and donate the rest
to the SOH.

Just my addition to the thread,

Dave

Double J
January 7th, 2016, 21:18
Done here too. Come on guys, if a retired widow on a limited income can donate, you can too ! Every little bit helps.
Sue
An unemployed Canadian family with a 65c dollar will have to wait till next year.. maybe. Thank you OPEC.

ananda
January 7th, 2016, 22:55
Done (and dusted).

T6flyer
January 8th, 2016, 01:13
I always donate. And this year isn't a good one for me, as am soon to lose my job due to medical reasons. Gave a little as I do, and least will keep me entertained whilst sat at home, looking for something else to do!

Best wishes to all,

Martin

Note: I'm still logged as a CM for 2015?

dhazelgrove
January 8th, 2016, 02:37
Done.

Dave

stovall
January 10th, 2016, 05:50
The donations are going quite well and right on target. That target is the first week in February. Now would be a great time for those considering a donation to jump in. A very special thanks tall who have donated and support SOH.

Cees Donker
January 10th, 2016, 07:54
Done. I was one of the first to donate. Money well spent.

:jump:

Cees

Taco
January 10th, 2016, 08:21
Done again. proud to do it.:applause:

n4gix
January 10th, 2016, 08:25
Done. I had completely forgotten that I had contributed last year too... :biggrin-new:

Blackbird686
January 10th, 2016, 08:26
Did my bit, and as always... happy to help.

BB686:US-flag:

Cees Donker
January 17th, 2016, 00:43
Taking a look at who's online, I see 32 users of which 10 in red, and the others in blue. That means that 22 people are depending on the money of these 10 paying members. Come on guys, let's keep this site going! Donate if you can?

Kind regards,

Cees

Daube
January 17th, 2016, 02:05
Let's avoid these kind of comments which makes people feel guilty.

From my side, it appears PayPal has created an account for me, although I never registered there... (and I don't have the registration emails anywhere).
That means I'll be able to donate soon.

huub vink
January 17th, 2016, 04:53
Daube, I agree, we shouldn't make the donation drive a personal thing. However I can fully understand the frustration from Cees.

The SOH has 22,898 members, from who 4,395 are considered "active members". So far 251 donations have been received in the 2016 drive. And there are several members who already have donated several times!

So roughly so far only 240 members have donated in this drive, which is less than 6% of our members!

I think SOH is unique, due to the mixture of developers, (re)painters and users, and the fact that the members facilitate their own meeting place.

Therefore I personally think SOH is worth a small donation. But I think the figures show that not everybody shares my opinion. So far not even 6% of the members have covered more than half the costs to keep the SOH online. It shouldn't be so hard for the other 94% of the members to cover the other half........

When we can't raise the required money to pay the bills, the result is simple: There won't be a Sim-Outhouse anymore.

Regards,
Huub

Blade124
January 17th, 2016, 05:29
I can't find anywhere the amount that is trying to get raised, just a bar at the top. Where is the amount listed?

huub vink
January 17th, 2016, 05:39
Scott, we are trying to raise 11,000 USD, to keep both servers running. So far we have received 5,900 USD. The .com server with the library needs quite some bandwith and we have had some problems with the hard-disks which needed to be replaced. And sad enough, a part of the money is of course already gone to Paypal before it arrives at the SOH.

I can see the amounts just above the indication bar. I think you should be able to see it as well.

Cheers,
Huub

Daube
January 17th, 2016, 06:19
My donation should be done now. Please let me know in case something went wrong.
For info, there were two attempts from me, the first one was aborted because I needed to update some info in my Paypal account. I received the confirmation MP from Ickie nevertheless.
The second attempt must have been successful though.

PS: in 'My Contributions' above the progress bar, I can see two payments. There was only one in reality. Only the second one was really executed in Paypal.
I think that's a small glitch in the SOH part: it registers the payment as soon as you jump to the Paypal webpage, but it does not consider if you really executed the payment in Paypal or not.

huub vink
January 17th, 2016, 06:30
Thanks for your donation. I will ask Ickie to check what actually has been transferred. I can see only one donation.

Cheers,
Huub

Ickie
January 17th, 2016, 06:33
only 1 went threw for $40 thanks

big-mike
January 17th, 2016, 06:40
Huub,
you and the staff at SOH should probably think about other ways to keep SOH alive.
I always made my donation and this year i was normally not able to do so.
I am not very active(my poor english),but i am here every day to keep me informed.
During the past year i was retired,because i`m so sick that i cannot work any longer and the money i get is more than a shame,i need social help now.
But SOH gives me so much and i have learned so many things and i understand that there is no free lunch anywhere.
I really hope that SOH will be online for another year.
Mike

huub vink
January 17th, 2016, 07:18
Mike, I understand your concerns. We have discussed other options already many times. One of the options is to close the .net server, which is used as our back-up and on-line flying server. As we would like to host flying events and have a lot of members who enjoy on-line flying this is an option we haven't chosen so far.

An other option would be sponsorship. This raises two questions: Who is willing to invest the needed amount of money in an independent forum and are there sufficient commercial parties willing to invest money in a shrinking flightsim world?

As said so far not even 6% of our "active members" have donated something. With the amount of members we have it crowd-funding really shouldn't be a problem. I think the main challenge is to make people aware that when we don't succeed to raise the money, the SOH will end.

Cheers,
Huub

JensOle
January 17th, 2016, 09:07
Or as a more drastic move, make access to the site/part of it dependant of a donation. Then there would be no free rides and if SoH really matters people will need to donate in order to get access.

The problem is all the people taking a free ride here and not helping out. Many pays large sums for addons, but a donation for their favourite sim site is rather difficult. If everybody saves one or two addons and spend the money on the SoH I'm sure we had not had this discussion.

For me it was an easy decision to support my favourite FS site even if I'm currently living on a student income. Priorities.

Rami
January 17th, 2016, 09:24
Or as a more drastic move, make access to the site/part of it dependant of a donation. Then there would be no free rides and if SoH really matters people will need to donate in order to get access.

The problem is all the people taking a free ride here and not helping out. Many pays large sums for addons, but a donation for their favourite sim site is rather difficult. If everybody saves one or two addons and spend the money on the SoH I'm sure we had not had this discussion.

For me it was an easy decision to support my favourite FS site even if I'm currently living on a student income. Priorities.

JensOle,

The problem with that argument is that if you look at the readme files for a lot of the downloads, it is specifically noted that those uploads are forbidden from being hosted by a website that requires payment for downloads. To do your suggestion, I would have to comb through every file in the library and remove all those files which stipulate such a demand. :dizzy:

That is especially true with CFS2, where I work and play.

JensOle
January 17th, 2016, 09:41
I understand the legal aspect. Maybe making the addon library available without donating, but with lower download speed (as seen on most of the bigger sites), but the other features for members only.

Rami
January 17th, 2016, 09:51
JensOle,

Throttling has been discussed.

Cees Donker
January 17th, 2016, 10:14
Let's avoid these kind of comments which makes people feel guilty.

"Donate if you can?" shouldn't make people feel guilty but aware, dear Daube. Nothing more. But the amount of freeware and good advice you can get here, is priceless.

:engel016:

Cees

Daube
January 17th, 2016, 10:34
And what about advertisment only on the dowload pages ?
A user going through the forums would not see any ads until he navigates to the library, where he would see a few... But I don't know how much money that would bring...

Blade124
January 17th, 2016, 19:05
It may be a permissions thing, as no amount is listed.

Are you guys spending $11,000 a year to keep a server or two going? You can definitely get a load of bandwidth and servers for a fraction of that cost. Take a peek here:
https://www.godaddy.com/pro/dedicated-server-config?plan=dedicated_linux_tier5_012mo&planaddons=pro_ds_managed

$210 / mo gets you a dedicated 32GB server and 2TB storage.

You have full remote access to your own dedicated server.

Scott.

glh
January 17th, 2016, 19:58
It may be a permissions thing, as no amount is listed.

Are you guys spending $11,000 a year to keep a server or two going? You can definitely get a load of bandwidth and servers for a fraction of that cost. Take a peek here:
https://www.godaddy.com/pro/dedicated-server-config?plan=dedicated_linux_tier5_012mo&planaddons=pro_ds_managed

$210 / mo gets you a dedicated 32GB server and 2TB storage.

You have full remote access to your own dedicated server.

Scott.

It would be interesting to read what the admins think of this possibility.

huub vink
January 18th, 2016, 00:45
Scott, thanks for the link. I will forward it to the guys who are dealing with the servers. To reduce costs we have already looked into other possibilities several items. These services often seem cheap, however when you need anything outside the standard package suddenly they aren’t that cheap any more. The main issue is compatibility. They offer a standard service on their conditions, when you don’t fit in their offer you have a problem.

In general they only offer bandwidth and storage. These services do not include the software needed to run the forum and the library, nor the required service to keep them running. Also the security in their offer is very limited and doesn’t cover the data exchange to and from our library and of the forums.

But it is definitely worth to look at it. However that doesn't change the fact we still need to pay for services, so we still depend on the generosity of our members to stay alive. So your donation is still more than welcome.

Regards,
Huub

Ickie
January 18th, 2016, 02:32
first off the $11,000 = really = $9500 after credit card fees and paypal fees
we have 2 top line servers 1 linux and the other a windows, I pay M$ a monthly fee for windows OS, These are not the bottom line servers. We also have a free work agreement when it breaks with server company in Texas. We also have 100 gb per second connection, not the 10 gig most offer.

Remember you can buy a cheep computer for $100, but to run FSX you need to spend more, lol

I also hire a 24/7, the smart ones who manage the tec :dizzy: part of the server.

I have been down this road of being cheep, I have been doing the server thing since 1998, believe me, what we have is the best.