PDA

View Full Version : What we need...what I need

davido53
December 30th, 2015, 09:23
is a popup screen telling me how to start each aircraft. When you buy a Carenado this, a Milviz that, an AH otherthing...I have a hard time remembering how each a/c starts up.

I wish manufacturers would provide these and make my life a little simpler.

Cees Donker
December 30th, 2015, 09:28
I recognize this! :encouragement: No wonder: we have the same age. Only one thing to do: ****!

:biggrin-new:

Cees

ian elliot
December 30th, 2015, 09:45
Luckily for me, i only have one aircraft in my hanger, Ivan Jurcaga's Mig, that requires a start-up procedure, and i still keep forgetting it :biggrin-new:,
compared to some models out there, the Mig is one of the simpler one's.

cheers ian

thefrog
December 30th, 2015, 09:51
is a popup screen telling me how to start each aircraft. When you buy a Carenado this, a Milviz that, an AH otherthing...I have a hard time remembering how each a/c starts up.

I wish manufacturers would provide these and make my life a little simpler.

I used to make my own pop-up screens, it's not hard, just make a bmp of what you need to remember and assign it to Shift+6 or 7 or 8 etc. for each aircraft. I don't do that now though, too much work! So I make a pdf of each cockpit layout including engine starting instructions. I have this available on my iPad next to me. With so many aircraft to fly, it's indispensible.

KevinJH
December 30th, 2015, 10:10
I recognize this! :encouragement: No wonder: we have the same age. Only one thing to do: ****! :biggrin-new: Cees

I feel that pain too..... Answer for me has been to print out and laminate the procedures, easy to then wipe the sweat off... :dizzy:

Dutcheeseblend
December 30th, 2015, 10:17
A talking co-pilot? :jump:

Daube
December 30th, 2015, 11:24
is a popup screen telling me how to start each aircraft.
A lot of aircraft makers provide the "checklists" that are displayed in 2D popups. Isn't this what you were looking for ?

Stefano Zibell
December 30th, 2015, 12:17
I kid you not here, but... have you tried pen and paper?

Ripcord
December 30th, 2015, 12:43
Many would call this 'systems depth' and view at as a big positive in terms of product quality.

Others would call it 'getting old'.

I can appreciate both points of view.

bazzar
December 30th, 2015, 12:45
The checklist and ref files are pop-ups. That's what they are for. Also, from a dev's perspective, more often than not, somebody has gone to a great deal of trouble writing and illustrating a manual. It takes a few minutes to sacn to get the basics. Take a break and read one.:engel016:

davido53
December 30th, 2015, 13:10
I ****

I just don't remember what I read

Jafo
December 30th, 2015, 13:50
You can really strike issues when you forget how to spell '****' ....;)

There's one or two aircraft out back of my hanger with flat tyres and cobwebs cos I 'lost the keys'...;)

JimmyRFR
December 30th, 2015, 14:41
I've made my own single page quick start guides for those aircraft where the steps are too numerous to remember for the first dozen times. After enough practice, I generally get it down pat.

The problem for me tends to be with aircraft where there are many, many steps involved, and you're chasing all over the cockpit for the proper switches or whatnot, flipping between a checklist and a layout diagram. 2D popup checklists are great, but if you have no idea where the item you're supposed to be checking off actually is, then you're still going to be in trouble.

I have a lot of respect for developers who include a quick start guide as part of their manual.

This is why I've slowed down a ton in how many aircraft I purchase and fly. I used to pick up everything that I was interested in as soon as it came out, but I found that a liking for complex addons meant that it was impossible to get the most out of all of them, since I was always rather unfamiliar with what I was flying. Nowadays I tend to stick with only one or two aircraft at a time and fly them for months on end. I find that mastering a select few aircraft is quite rewarding for me. Sadly, it also means that I'm not much of a customer for 3rd party devs any longer, since I have enough of a backlog with the aircraft I already own to keep me busy for years.

KellyB
December 31st, 2015, 04:56
Aircrews do not rely on memory for startup procedures; they go through checklists routinely.

Why do people claim it's a sign of old age when we can't remember the peculiarities of this or that aircraft?

What were we talking about............?:pop4:

DaleRFU
December 31st, 2015, 05:41
I think all you need is a quick start switch like in the milviz F-15

if every aircraft had that I'd be a happy man because most of the time I just want to get in and go.

wombat666
December 31st, 2015, 06:36

if every aircraft had that I'd be a happy man because most of the time I just want to get in and go.

Exactly my feelings!
Even after I've **** it still gets frustrating.
If I want 'SYSTEMS DEPTH' I'll go and tweak the electronics on my KTM!
:banghead:

DaleRFU
December 31st, 2015, 07:53
Exactly my feelings!
Even after I've **** it still gets frustrating.
If I want 'SYSTEMS DEPTH' I'll go and tweak the electronics on my KTM!
:banghead:

The system depth is great and I like having an aircraft that has a working radar and weapon systems etc but just give me a quick start button so I can fly!!

developers won't be able to please everyone because some want full in depth aircraft and others just want to fly easily without having to go through a multitude of checks.

falcon409
December 31st, 2015, 08:09
Exactly. . .I wanted to post that right off the bat, kinda obvious to me. I do have a few that I'll start in sequence from time to time but that's rare. I understand the allure for some to hold to a prescribed checklist and do everything by the numbers, but it's a waste for me. I don't own an airplane, I'm not a licensed pilot, and never will be and I have no desire any more to learn all the intricacies of a particular airplane. I just want to fly and enjoy it. . .not spend 20 minutes looking for switches to get it started then fly for 5 minutes and have the engine burn up because I let the MP and RPM's get out of wack, lol.

Peg o my heart
January 1st, 2016, 06:15
sometimes, I press **** E

bazzar
January 1st, 2016, 13:25
The problem with Cntrl/E is that in a model where much bespoke coding operates certain features, it can disable these features, rendering the cockpit less than how it was designed. The more realism that goes into a model, the more complex the coding and the less likely it is that you can use Cntrl/E.

KellyB is absolutely correct. Checklists are written to ensure discipline in the cockpit. If you want more than just an arcade game, there is going to be a trade-off.:engel016: