PDA

View Full Version : A big 'thank you' to Harleyman and Txnetcop

hews500d
February 1st, 2009, 18:52
...for encouraging me to build my own system. After many months of researching I finally ordered the parts and put everything together yesterday. Needless to say I haven't had time to do a lot of tweaking today, I've been too busy flying and exploring the FSX world that I never got to do on my old dinosaur!

Even without any overclocking the i7 920 kicks some serious butt! Combined with the Coolermaster V8 cooler it idles around 26 degrees C, and flying around LAX this evening it never got above 48. I think with a modest overclock to around 3 Ghz or so I'll be more than happy.

I knew it was going to be fast when FSX was installed in about 15 minutes today. My old Dell P4 took almost 2 hours the best I can recall!

Now I've got to start saving for some of the great addons like REX, etc to get some real eye candy in there.

Does anyone remember the name of the freeware AI package that was at Avsim? The best I can recall it added AI traffic in even the smallest airports, i've searched high and low on the forums here and can't find the post.

Darrell

New computer specs:
Coolermaster HAF 932 Case
i7 920 processor
Asus P6T motherboard
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel memory
EVGA 9800 GTX+ 512mb card
Soundblaster X-fi xtreme gamer sound card
Vista Home Premium 64 bit
Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler
other assorted 'odds n ends'

N2056
February 1st, 2009, 19:02
Hey, congrats on your first build!
I'm getting close to doing a new one for myself...and I have already put Ted on notice that I will be hitting him up for advice :)

harleyman
February 1st, 2009, 19:13
YEA I didn't know you were building it this weekend....Congrats on that first post...Thats a scary one...LOL

Its all uphill from here....:applause:

txnetcop did all the work and has the knowledge..I just passed along encouragement....:wavey:

hews500d
February 1st, 2009, 19:21
YEA I didn't know you were building it this weekend....Congrats on that first post...Thats a scary one...LOL

Its all uphill from here....:applause:

txnetcop did all the work and has the knowledge..I just passed along encouragement....:wavey:

I was standing by with the fire extinguisher LOL ! Only had 2 small hiccups, the first was i had forgotten to plug the PCI-E connector from the power supply into the graphics card, and the 2nd one, well it was more like an "oops" happened today, I had my USB drive sticking out of the front port and when I left the desk for a minute I forgot about it and bumped it with my leg, knocking it out and breaking the contacts in that USB port (#$*%&$##(#) At least I've got 3 more on the front that work!

Darrell

harleyman
February 1st, 2009, 19:33
I bet you flipped when it squealed about no power on the vid card...LOL

I hate that sound...

To bad about the USB...But you got more.......

You can add a Card reader with 3 USB ports for 22 bucks at newegg if you ever need more.....

tigisfat
February 1st, 2009, 20:52
what are the specs on that new processor?

This may be considered an ignorant post, but I figured I'd ask you experts here. Information is lacking about what makes it so much better than others. How many cores does it have?

guzler
February 2nd, 2009, 00:23
I will second that thanks. I am looking to build my own rig, and without the help by these guys and others on this forum, i wouldn't of known where to start.

As for AI, my recommendation is get all the WOAI stuff + somewhere there are the GA files split down so you can add them as well. The detail is the best, all be it for a frame rate hit, but I am running a single core AMD 64 and the game is very much playable unless I approach a heavy airport. I am running the FLY Tampa Kai Tek with WOAI and it plays well with all scenery boxes ticked, so you should be fine. It's a pain downloading all the WOAI files, but once done, its done without regret.

Cactuskid
February 2nd, 2009, 01:26
Congrats on your new rig! Sounds great! I also recommend the freeware World of AI packages and for military AI, I recommend MAIW. I have them all and haven't had any significant hits on FPS unless I'm flying into a crowded airport like JFK or LAX. Even then, with a good rig everything is still very flyable. Enjoy your new rig! :ernae:

txnetcop
February 2nd, 2009, 03:00
Always glad to help guys...big hearty congratulations Darrell
Ted

hews500d
February 2nd, 2009, 04:20
what are the specs on that new processor?

This may be considered an ignorant post, but I figured I'd ask you experts here. Information is lacking about what makes it so much better than others. How many cores does it have?

Hi Tig, I'm by no means an expert, but it is the Core i7 920, rated at 2.66 Ghz. I went with the 920 as opposed to the 940 which is rated at 2.99 due to cost plus reading the reviews at Newegg.com shows the 920 can be clocked realtively easily above and beyond the 940 specs, even with decent cooling to the same specs as the $1000 + i7 965.

I have been reading by just changing the Base clock alone in the bios will easily get the 920 to 3 Ghz, I think I will be happy with that judging from what I've seen on "stock" performance so far, of course that may change when I add some more complicated addons, such as REX, the Cessna Mustang, etc.

Here is a link to the 920 reviews on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

Darrell

kilo delta
February 2nd, 2009, 04:40
Congrats on the new rig,Darrell :ernae:

txnetcop
February 2nd, 2009, 04:45
The i7 920 while cheaper than the 940 will also overclock higher and stay cooler than the 940 and at it's current price that makes it a real bargain compared to an expensive QX series Penryn that rarely out performs it.
Ted

Cazzie
February 2nd, 2009, 06:47
Good on ya mate. From things I read here by Hey_ Moe and TexNetCop, I built my own last July. The only way to go. I hope that Tiger Direct never goes out of business! I would be lost!

At Plum Island I am truly flying with the birds now! :ernae:

Caz