PDA

View Full Version : Bearcat update by Bub released!

bub
December 29th, 2015, 12:26
Hi All,
With Bearcat posting that wonderful video about the Blue Angels, I dug this one out of the "Archives". Its a Alpha F8F-1 Bearcat that I fooled with a long time ago. If there is any interest, I'll touch it up and upload it. The aircraft flies very well and is a lot of fun to do some "what if's".
Thanks,
Bub

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
December 29th, 2015, 12:39
I tried fooling with it myself with little success. Count me in.

Typhoon Willy
December 29th, 2015, 15:40
Hi Bub,

I still enjoy flying this plane and would be interested in a new skin!

Kind regards,

TW

Wayland
December 29th, 2015, 16:53
Oh, yeah, the last of the piston fightin' Cats, deal me in!

Steve

bearcat241
December 30th, 2015, 02:20
Hey Bub, on my way to work right now, but i'll check in later with a post of my own skin for this one.

CheerZ!

kelticheart
December 30th, 2015, 03:16
I have an history question, please:

was the F8F ever tested in combat, apart from the French ones in Indochina? When the Korean conflict broke out, all of the Navy units sent to Korea were equipped with the F9F Panthers or some F8F was involved?

I always read that the F8F would have stood against any piston-engined, late-WWII fighter with no problems. How did the F8F actually performed in a dogfight?

Thank you.
KH :santahat:

Typhoon Willy
December 30th, 2015, 10:24
I have a question regarding the AlphaSim Bearcat model: I understand there were basically two variants, a "short tail" and a "tall tail", does this model represent the short tail variant? Just curious.

Kind regards,

TW

bearcat241
December 30th, 2015, 19:07
... How did the F8F actually performed in a dogfight?

Guess we'll never know buddy. By the time Korea went hot any former Bearcat jocks were strapping on Panthers, Banshees, Corsairs and Skyraiders. In Indochina it was just another mudmover with no aerial opposition.

bearcat241
December 30th, 2015, 19:17
I have a question regarding the AlphaSim Bearcat model: I understand there were basically two variants, a "short tail" and a "tall tail", does this model represent the short tail variant?

This model's tail doesn't represent that of the actual F8F-1, which is shorter. The XF8F-2 and all variants beyond were all tall-tail. I'm grateful that Alphasim gave us what they did, but it is actually an F8F-2.

Typhoon Willy
December 31st, 2015, 03:41
Thanks for putting me straight on the tail issue, Bearcat241.

TW

bearcat241
December 31st, 2015, 14:15
I'll take you up on that offer whenever its ready Bub. Here's something from my CFS2 Flight Deck days, courtesy of my old friend Jon Goldberg.

http://i.imgur.com/8aPAEbf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/05KjBFU.jpg

bearcat241
January 1st, 2016, 13:28
...I always read that the F8F would have stood against any piston-engined, late-WWII fighter with no problems. How did the F8F actually performed in a dogfight?

Hello again Stef,

Regarding your comment and question, i found this additional little snippet while Googling my favorite mount. Its a quote from Eric Brown (now 96 years old), the renowned British test pilot who has the distinction of having flown 487 different types of aircraft, as he commented on the Bearcat:

"It had another hallmark of a good day fighter in that it had poor stability rather in the manner of the Spitfire. This combination made for superb maneuverability which, coupled with the fact that the aircraft was overpowered, resulted in an outstanding aerobatic performer. I do not think I have blacked myself out so consistently in an aircraft and it was just as well for peace of mind that the Bearcat was so highly stressed.”
-Eric “Winkle” Brown

Quite a statement for the "what if" factor, you think?

bub
January 1st, 2016, 14:34
Hi all,
Sorry for the delay on this. I've been very busy these last couple of days and working overnights doesn't help. I'll get it packaged up and have it uploaded in the next day or so.
That's a nice looking paint job, Bearcat. I may do one more in the future to fill in the gap, just haven't decided which one to do yet.
Thanks for your patience,
Bob

bub
January 2nd, 2016, 16:14
Hi All,
Ok, here it is. I still have a couple of things to do. I'll upload it as a complete aircraft. That way you'll have all the files. It will also be set up for catapult launch and those files will be included. Most everthing has been recolored and I've added a couple of details. The only problems, I can't shine the model and the wings don't fold.
Bub

bub
January 4th, 2016, 21:37
Hi All,
Ok, one more. this is the 3F4 from VF-31 1945-46. I'll upload it separately from the Aircraft.
Thanks,
Bob

bearcat241
January 5th, 2016, 02:42
Looking good Bub. If you want to get rid of that modeled centerline tank and add shine in Mdlc, dump the CFS2 model and go with a conversion of the FS2002 model, aka Bearcat v2.mdl. You can find it at the Alphasim freeware site:ALPHA_F8F-1_Bearcat_FS02.zip (http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/ALPHA_F8F-1_Bearcat_FS02.zip)

The downside is the loss of the working VC until i can find the slot for it in scasm.

bub
January 5th, 2016, 11:20
Bearcat,
Thanks for the tip. I had forgotten all about that. The conversion worked fine, fixed the animations and put some shine on it. Now all I have to do is repackage it and get it uploaded. Thanks again for your help.
Bob

bub
January 19th, 2016, 16:29
Hi all,
Again, sorry for the delay on the Bearcat. Real life has reared its ugly head and has kept me extremely busy. Now that things have calmed down, I can finish this. Here's where I'm at. A few more details and it should be done. Thanks for your patience.
Bob

bearcat241
January 19th, 2016, 18:27
:triumphant: ~~~:encouragement:~~~ :triumphant:

bub
January 26th, 2016, 11:16
Hi All,
All done, finally. I just have to do a ReadMe and I'll get it uploaded.
Thanks,
Bob

bearcat241
January 26th, 2016, 13:40
Cool...you got me thinking seriously about doing a late war 'what if' Bearcat campaign based on the legacy "VF-85 Tokyo Express" campaign featuring the F4U1-C working from a new USS Shangri-La. Building on that campaign instead of extending the war beyond August '45, i'll just move the Bearcat's operational debut up about 8 months and roll with it. :triumphant:

Meanwhile here's some more Cat video for the Grumman fans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dst7RTxXjzY

No Dice
January 26th, 2016, 15:54
That is one hell of a beauty Bub, thumbs up and up and up

Great work sir,

Dave

kelticheart
January 27th, 2016, 03:13
Hello again Stef,

Regarding your comment and question, i found this additional little snippet while Googling my favorite mount. Its a quote from Eric Brown (now 96 years old), the renowned British test pilot who has the distinction of having flown 487 different types of aircraft, as he commented on the Bearcat:

"It had another hallmark of a good day fighter in that it had poor stability rather in the manner of the Spitfire. This combination made for superb maneuverability which, coupled with the fact that the aircraft was overpowered, resulted in an outstanding aerobatic performer. I do not think I have blacked myself out so consistently in an aircraft and it was just as well for peace of mind that the Bearcat was so highly stressed.”
-Eric “Winkle” Brown

Hi BC!

Oh, yes, roger that! I had to edit your quote by hand because lately, when I hit "Reply with quote" I only get a normal reply, blank screen.

Anyway, Mr. Brown comments match perfectly the Blue Angels video you posted originally. The F8F manoeuvrability can be clearly appreciated in that flick.

I sounds also like Grumman Iron Works knew about, or discovered, the "controlled instability" concept decades before General Dynamics designed the F-16 Falcon. Never mind that the pilot on the F-16 interfaces 100% with a computer, rather than the actual aircraft control surfaces, the results are the same.

The above does satisfy my curiosity, thank you. F8F pilots would have been able to accept and come out ahead in manoeuvred combats from challenging Zeros anytime.

KH :adoration:

than

kelticheart
January 27th, 2016, 03:15
Hello again Stef,

-Eric “Winkle” Brown

Hi BC!

Oh, yes, roger that! I had to edit your quote by hand because lately, when I hit "Reply with quote" I only get a normal reply, blank screen.

Anyway, Mr. Brown comments match perfectly the Blue Angels video you posted originally. The F8F manoeuvrability can be clearly appreciated in that flick.

I sounds also like Grumman Iron Works knew about, or discovered, the "controlled instability" concept decades before General Dynamics designed the F-16 Falcon. Never mind that the pilot on the F-16 interfaces 100% with a computer, rather than the actual aircraft control surfaces, the results are the same.

The above does satisfy my curiosity, thank you. F8F pilots would have been able to come out ahead in manoeuvred dogfights with challenging Zeros anytime.

bub
January 29th, 2016, 07:23
Hi All,
Finally got it uploaded. Again, sorry for the long delay. It's a complete aircraft and has all the files you'll need to have some fun with it. Thanks to Bearcat for his help and advice and to all who commented, it's greatly appreciated. Any questions or problems, you know where to find me. There may be an extra texture in the future. I just haven't decided which one to do yet.
Thanks and have fun,
Bob

bub
January 29th, 2016, 10:18
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/325714540837006544.JPG
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: Hi All,

This is my rendition of the Alpha F8F-1 Bearcat. It's a complete aircraft and all files are included. It has a catapult feature, extra texture and dp file along with sounds and a panel. All original files are also included. Please make sure to read the ReadMe's.

Thanks and have fun,

Bub

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit RM_Alpha F8F-1 Bearcat.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=20852&catid=52)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

msfossey
January 29th, 2016, 10:59
Just downloaded. Thanks for all your efforts on this bub. It looks great.

msfossey

Worthless
January 29th, 2016, 13:19
What a great ride! Thanks Bub. Wonderful to look at and to fly. I really prefer the original 2d panel. Much better view area. Am I correct in assuming the vc panel is not active?

Typhoon Willy
January 29th, 2016, 13:47
Thank you VERY MUCH for your work on this project, Bub!

TW

bub
January 29th, 2016, 15:33
Hi All,
I'm glad you're enjoying the Bearcat. It is fun to fly. Once you get used to it, it will turn on a dime, and keep the nine cents change. As far as the VC panel, it stopped working when I converted the '02 model. Bearcat said there is a way to turn it on. Unfortunatley, I don't know how to do that. I used Lobo's panel as it looked good and was a little more basic than others I saw out there. As I said, I used the KISS principle which leaves plenty of room for improvements.
Thanks again and have fun with it.
Bob

bearcat241
January 29th, 2016, 19:06
First rate job Bub. I already had everything in the package, but absolutely love the new skins. Its hard to believe that 16 years have past before the CFS2 community finally dressed up a decent model of this beauty in a realistic looking WW2 paint scheme (speaking of the VF-31 paint). Up until now every CFS2 Bearcat model has been done in some sort of post-war skin, including Gerry Lindell's F8F-2 model. Thanks again!!! :loyal:

kelticheart
February 1st, 2016, 02:41
Nice job Bub, thank you!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

UncleTgt
February 1st, 2016, 03:02
Thanks Bub.:triumphant:

Well put together package, makes it easy for people to install & fly :medals:

I echo what Bearcat241 said regarding the WW2 skin...:redfire: awesome!

bub
February 5th, 2016, 04:46
Hi All,
Thanks for the kudos on the Bearcat. I have been remiss of lately, in giving mine to the deserving, who have done so much wonderful work of late. That will be corrected in the future. With all the great things done by Allen, Uncletgt and all others I feel lacking in not responding when many have complimented my feeble attempts.
Thanks for your understanding,
Bob

ps; Kelti, I feel bad if I stepped on your toes by including the modified dpfile with DBolts weapons. I don't know if a prop can be done, so I had it finished and included it. If you do a prop, if one can be done, I'm sure yours will be a lot better than the one I included. You seem to have that "knack" with them that I don't have.

pps; I have another skin in progress and will get it up shortly, I hope. It will be a 1945-46 one. There will be lots of improvements.

Captain Kurt
February 5th, 2016, 06:34
Well done, Bub :encouragement: