PDA

View Full Version : Merry x-mas from West Malling and Sculthorpe

ian elliot
December 23rd, 2015, 22:37
Two new airfields from me, been up at Flightsim for a few days but now uploaded here----

First we have RAF West Malling

Located near Maidstone in Kent and the Thames estuary, and ideally suited for the defence of South East London, famous as one of the Battle of Britian airfields, Ive chosen to represent West Malling as it looked during the 1950's when WM was home to Meteor and Javelin night fighter squadrons, flying carried on for some years as a home for air training corp gliders and was the home of the Great Warbirds flying display,
many of which i attended before the airfield was given over to redevelopment as a housing estate in 1991,some buildings
remain, most notably, the control Tower,in the middle of the estate. which has become a Costa coffe shop.

One intresting use for the airfield was as a location for the Beatles 1967 Magical Mystery Tour movie, making good use of
the runway and dispersl areas and studio shots film'd in the large hanger behing the control tower.

Made with IanP's and Ted Andrew's great object librarys from http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/
with a few simple objects made by myself.
Also included are updated versions of my 1950's RAF vehicle librarys, which have been run through MDLX for better performance, feel free to use these in other scenerys as long as im given credit.

A basic traffic file is also included, install "jyai_javelins_fsx_1.zip" by John Young, found at Avsim

ian elliot
December 23rd, 2015, 22:38
And now RAF Sculthorpe----

Located near the north Norfolk coast, originally an WW11 bomber airfield finished in 1943, but taken over by SAC in 1948,
originally with B-50's and then B-45'tornados and B-66's to carry out spy flights across the Soviet Union, including a detachment of Tornados with RAF crews and markings that carried out 10hr overflights to within sight of Moscow in April
1952 and again in 1954
earning the flight leader Squadron Leader John Crampton and his crew Air force crosses and a personnal congratulation
from Curtis LeMay.

Made with IanP's and Ted Andrew's great object librarys from http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/
the USAF barrack blocks by myself and a thanks to Alphasim for the freeware B-66
Also use's a few objects from John Stinstrom's yellow airfield equipment librarys, look for jgse_v4.zip at most
download sites, but older versions will probably work just fine

There's no traffic file as such but 5 parking slots around the airfield and if you wish, the B-66's
can be removed by removing the "staticB66,bgl"

dhasdell
December 23rd, 2015, 23:21
Are these compatible with FTX/Orbx England?

A memory of West Malling: one year when the Biggin Hill runway was being resurfaced the Battle of Britain Day display was moved to West Malling, and an early Valiant coming in low over the crowd sprayed oil over my father's trilby. Both health and safety and men's fashions have moved on since then.

Merry Christmas.

Motormouse
December 24th, 2015, 00:57
I worked at Great Warbirds Air show on aircraft handling and marshalling team 88,89 and 90.
Was I/c the 'jet' ramp one year, fighter pan next, then final time I got the grass in front of crowds.

Some scenes of Piece of Cake were filmed there as well, in the derelict hangar offices.

Ttfn

Pete